C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

HELP! Distributor Install L79

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default HELP! Distributor Install L79

Set my timing mark at 10 BTDC on compression stroke. Walked distributor around and it dropped right in with rotor pointing at #1 tower on cap. Turned distributor counter clockwise and vacuum advance hits intake runner before points begin to open. Now what? Should I try moving timing mark on damper to TDC and re-install distributor with rotor pointing to #1 on cap and then start and time engine with a light?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:15 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You might have to rotate the drive gear 180* The gear has an odd # of teeth (13) and this will rotate the distributor by 1/2 tooth and give you room to clear the firewall and intake nicely.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:35 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnFromVentura
You might have to rotate the drive gear 180* The gear has an odd # of teeth (13) and this will rotate the distributor by 1/2 tooth and give you room to clear the firewall and intake nicely.
Thanks for your quick reply John. I just had the distributor restored and I checked the dimple on the drive gear and its inline with the rotor. I'm not quite sure I understand. Do you mean to move rotor 180 degrees and then walk rotor around till it points to #1 again? Thanks,Gary

Last edited by 65 vette dude; 04-08-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:57 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
Thanks for your quick reply John. I just had the distributor restored and I checked the dimple on the drive gear and its inline with the rotor. I'm not quite sure I understand. Do you mean to take it out and re-install 180 degrees and then install rotor to point to #1? Thanks,Gary
Dimple inline with the rotor tip?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
Dimple inline with the rotor tip?
Yes
Old 04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
aaronz28
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

You might have to stick a long screwdriver down and turn the oil pump shaft so that the dist gear will sit on the right tooth of the cam..

Seems like murphys law prevents one from simply getting the balancer at 10-12 btdc, and letting the distributor fall correctly.

its a trial and error effort until you get it right.

what I do, is drop the dist in the engine, and turn it until the vac can is 1/2 way between its rotation....

mark on the intake with tape, exactly where the number 1 plug terminal should be....

remove the cap and see how far off it is (assuming you have the rotor sitting the correct way)

if its off , then you likely need to rotate the oil pump shaft until the distributor gear sits on the right cam gear and oil pump shaft.

and yes, the dimple on the dist gear needs to line up with the rotor electrode otherwise you'll never get the orientation correct.

Thanks

Aaron

Last edited by aaronz28; 04-08-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:24 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aaronz28
You might have to stick a long screwdriver down and turn the oil pump shaft so that the dist gear will sit on the right tooth of the cam..

Seems like murphys law prevents one from simply getting the balancer at 10-12 btdc, and letting the distributor fall correctly.

its a trial and error effort until you get it right.

what I do, is drop the dist in the engine, and turn it until the vac can is 1/2 way between its rotation....

mark on the intake with tape, exactly where the number 1 plug terminal should be....

remove the cap and see how far off it is (assuming you have the rotor sitting the correct way)

if its off , then you likely need to rotate the oil pump shaft until the distributor gear sits on the right cam gear and oil pump shaft.

and yes, the dimple on the dist gear needs to line up with the rotor electrode otherwise you'll never get the orientation correct.

Thanks

Aaron
Thanks Aaron, I'll give that a try
Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I re-read your post and you might be okay. Pick the distributor up and move it counter-clockwise by a tooth. It probably won’t go all the way down because it has to fit into the notch at the top of the oil pump. Once you feel comfortable with the distributors position (clamping screws should be approximately parallel to front axle) either try and move the pump shaft with a long screw driver or disconnect the coil and tap the starter ... it will fall into place. Normally the dimple is aligned with the rotor ... the 1/2 tooth trick is used when you can't quite get into the correct location ... so forget that for now sorry!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Bill Wilhelm
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Vette Dude, One more thing. If you have followed the good advise above and dist still hits the intake, rotate the dist drive gear 180* until the dimple and rotor tip are 180* apart. I am seeing some drive gears with the dimple in the wrong spot. Before you do this make sure everything else is correct. Bill
Old 04-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
Set my timing mark at 10 BTDC on compression stroke. Walked distributor around and it dropped right in with rotor pointing at #1 tower on cap. Turned distributor counter clockwise and vacuum advance hits intake runner before points begin to open. Now what? Should I try moving timing mark on damper to TDC and re-install distributor with rotor pointing to #1 on cap and then start and time engine with a light?
Gary,
I had the same issue when I put mine back together. I couldn't time the engine with the narrow range of motion I had with the distributor. The vacuum can hit both the intake runner and the coil/bracket. What I wound up doing was removing the coil and its bracket so that I could turn the distributor across a wide range. (Note I said 'removed' the coil and bracket but not 'disconnect') I left the coil and bracket hanging by the wires, started the car, timed it so that it ran correctly. I shut it off, set the engine back to TDC, looked at the relationship of the rotor and #1 on the cap. I was able to start moving the distributor over tooth by tooth, turning the distributor back until I had the same relationship between the rotor and #1 while the vacuum can was right in between where the coil/bracket and the intake runner. Fired it back up, fine tuned the timing with the light and it works perfect.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Geek's 65
Gary,
I had the same issue when I put mine back together. I couldn't time the engine with the narrow range of motion I had with the distributor. The vacuum can hit both the intake runner and the coil/bracket. What I wound up doing was removing the coil and its bracket so that I could turn the distributor across a wide range. (Note I said 'removed' the coil and bracket but not 'disconnect') I left the coil and bracket hanging by the wires, started the car, timed it so that it ran correctly. I shut it off, set the engine back to TDC, looked at the relationship of the rotor and #1 on the cap. I was able to start moving the distributor over tooth by tooth, turning the distributor back until I had the same relationship between the rotor and #1 while the vacuum can was right in between where the coil/bracket and the intake runner. Fired it back up, fine tuned the timing with the light and it works perfect.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Well,so far I'm not having any luck Gary. Its like I'm a half a tooth off. Right now I have the damper at TDC, and I do have the rotor pointing to #1,but I have only about 1/2 inch between my vacuum can and the intake runner. Not alot of room to advance my timing,which I'm sure I will have to do
Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Geek's 65
Gary,

Hope this helps.

Gary
Well,so far I'm not having a lot of luck Gary. Its like I'm a half a tooth off. Right now I have the damper at TDC, and I do have the rotor pointing to #1,but I only have about 1/2 inch between my vacuum can and the intake runner. Not a lot of room to advance my timing,which I'm sure I will have to do. I'm going to quit for tonight and think about this. I will probably try your suggestion tomorrow,or maybe Bills or Johns suggestion about turning the dimple 180 degrees around. Thanks.....Gary
Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

65 vette dude -- In a similar situation I followed Lar's advice to "walk" the distributor in a reverse-rotation sense to get to its correct position. Unfortunately, I can't find my instructions how exactly to accomplish this task. Maybe someone else here will remember the details.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM
maroon67
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Vette Dude,

One other thing you may want to check is your plug wires. Is the #1 plug wire on the correct distributor tower? You may need to rotate all the wires one tower clockwise or counter clockwise.

Good Luck.

Larry
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by maroon67
Vette Dude,

One other thing you may want to check is your plug wires. Is the #1 plug wire on the correct distributor tower? You may need to rotate all the wires one tower clockwise or counter clockwise.

Good Luck.

Larry
Yes,I double checked my clocking using a ohm meter and that is correct. Number one tower is the first one after the widow. The thought has crossed my mind about moving all the wires one tower forward or backward and I might be able to gain the extra distributor movement I need to correctly set my timing. I shouldn't have to do that though. I'm beginning to think that my damper might have slipped. Oh well,tomorrow is another day. Thanks all for the great suggestions.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Lar's Tech Paper on Distributor instalation:

http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vette...stallation.pdf
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LouieM
65 vette dude -- In a similar situation I followed Lar's advice to "walk" the distributor in a reverse-rotation sense to get to its correct position. Unfortunately, I can't find my instructions how exactly to accomplish this task. Maybe someone else here will remember the details.
Louie,I tried that today, and for some reason,I could not get the hang of it going CCW. No problem going clockwise though. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Distributor Install L79

Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dicecal
Lar's Tech Paper on Distributor instalation:

http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vette...stallation.pdf
Thanks Dicecal,I'm printing it out now and it will be on my fender tomorrow while I'm working on it.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

note that in some rare cases, the rotor tip opposite the dimple is nec.

If you are absolutely stuck and it is not working out with the rotor tip in line with the dimple, doesn't hurt to try.

PS - you can also simply re-clock the plug wires on the cap, but purists will now show up in this thread and stone me (I say, what goes on underneath the big ignition shield piece stays underneath the big ignition shield piece; just like Vegas, no one will know)
Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

I had to position the dimple 180 out for correct orientation of the vac. adv. can.
Originally Posted by ctjackster
note that in some rare cases, the rotor tip opposite the dimple is nec.

If you are absolutely stuck and it is not working out with the rotor tip in line with the dimple, doesn't hurt to try.

PS - you can also simply re-clock the plug wires on the cap, but purists will now show up in this thread and stone me (I say, what goes on underneath the big ignition shield piece stays underneath the big ignition shield piece; just like Vegas, no one will know)

Quick Reply: HELP! Distributor Install L79