C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

performer intake manifold question

Old 04-12-2008, 09:17 AM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default performer intake manifold question

I put a 2101 Performer intake manifold on my '60 because I wanted the correct height of the manifold [for hood clearance] and I wanted to use the provisions for the oil fill tube.

I have Dart heads with the 2.02 valves in it. The intake port size is
1.200 X 2.00 on the heads and I bought gaskets to match that.
When I put the gaskets on the performer manifold to check how it looked , some of the ports had as much as 1/8" overlap.
I went to my local Lowes store and bought two grinding burrs , not Dremel but the ones for working on sheet rock, [had a grinder already] I bought one 1/4" dia. for roughing the hole and a 1/8" for final cut. . Worked well. Now my ports are the same dimensions as the ones on my heads.

My question is--- does anybody have real world facts on why this is a good thing to do. Better for high RPM's . Or better Dyno. figures. ETC.
I did it mostly because there must be turbulence if the ports aren't the same.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:22 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by lovevettes
I put a 2101 Performer intake manifold on my '60 because I wanted the correct height of the manifold [for hood clearance] and I wanted to use the provisions for the oil fill tube.

I have Dart heads with the 2.02 valves in it. The intake port size is
1.200 X 2.00 on the heads and I bought gaskets to match that.
When I put the gaskets on the performer manifold to check how it looked , some of the ports had as much as 1/8" overlap.
I went to my local Lowes store and bought two grinding burrs , not Dremel but the ones for working on sheet rock, [had a grinder already] I bought one 1/4" dia. for roughing the hole and a 1/8" for final cut. . Worked well. Now my ports are the same dimensions as the ones on my heads.

My question is--- does anybody have real world facts on why this is a good thing to do. Better for high RPM's . Or better Dyno. figures. ETC.
I did it mostly because there must be turbulence if the ports aren't the same.
You did good! Only so long as the intake ports are not larger than the head ports. If the intake port is a hair smaller, that is preferrable. If they are larger in any area, then that will do more harm than good. Theory says that if the intake ports have a very small "step" then it inhibits "reversion" pulses from traveling into the intake. Same theory applies to the exhaust ports.

joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: performer intake manifold question