C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1961 "Crossover Pipe"

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Well I did get to 'stress test' my new crossover pipe on the Florida turnpike this morning just after rush hour and the old 'Corvette sound' is back. I never take it over 5500RPM, even though its got solid lifters but when turning up that high she sure sounds awesome...

I can't say definitively that low-medium end torque is dramatically improved but it does seem to launch somewhat better.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Try this for an explanation of the Corvette crossover pipe - from the NCRS Board archives:

http://www.ncrs.org/forum/archive5.cgi?review=19697

Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

That article says that solid-axle C1s have the BEST exhaust sound (especially with off-road mufflers)....I agree...
Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 PM
reedkona
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Crossover and headers

What is the consensus on a crossover pipe with headers, between pipes after the collector? Will that create an improvement in gas flow and exhaust pulses that far down the system? And what relationship might that have to what were called "180 degree" headers that came into favor in road racing circles back in the mid to late 1970's? Just wondering and I know there is a lot more depth of knowledge here...
Reed
Old 05-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

I'm at the muffler shop right now trying to get a crossover pipe installed. What is the diameter of the crossover pipe? My restoration book does not say.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Utahcarguy
I'm at the muffler shop right now trying to get a crossover pipe installed. What is the diameter of the crossover pipe? My restoration book does not say.
Don't know the exact diameter but it looks smaller than the factory exhausts in this picture. It will change the exhaust sound if you have the intake crossover passages blocked and supposedly provides a little more oomph on the low end but you prob won't even notice it in daily driving.

The second pic is what I put on my '61.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-20-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:49 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Don't know the exact diameter but it looks smaller than the factory exhausts in this picture. It will change the exhaust sound if you have the intake crossover passages blocked and supposedly provides a little more oomph on the low end but you prob won't even notice it in daily driving.

The second pic is what I put on my '61.
Thanks Frankie. I used this picture to help the tech install mine. It is close to what you have, but doesn't go as close to the steering tie rods. I also had to make a slight sent on the upper part of the side near the steering gear box. It was just barely hitting when I turned hard left.

I can check this project off the list!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Utahcarguy
Thanks Frankie. I used this picture to help the tech install mine. It is close to what you have, but doesn't go as close to the steering tie rods. I also had to make a slight sent on the upper part of the side near the steering gear box. It was just barely hitting when I turned hard left.

I can check this project off the list!
Glad to help....
It's always good to check off another item on the 'ole "to do" list

Quick Reply: 1961 "Crossover Pipe"