C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 seat belt install dox?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:06 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

For anyone working on mid year seat belts, the biggest problem is if the outer reinforcements are shot or missing altogether. Clearance prevents replacing these unless you lift the body. However, it is possible to relocate the hole and make it work with the body on. Pilot Dan
Old 03-31-2013, 10:26 AM
newmo30
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C2 seat belts

[QUOTE=Pilot Dan;1583490056]For anyone working on mid year seat belts, the biggest problem is if the outer reinforcements are shot or missing altogether. Clearance prevents replacing these unless you lift the body. However, it is possible to relocate the hole and make it work with the body on. Pilot Dan[/QUOTE:
Pilot Dan
How do you relocate the hole on the outer reinforcements to make it work? The bolt is spinning so I assume the nut rusted off the outer reinforcement plate? The inner reinforcements are replaceable with the body?
Thanks,
Newmo
Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 AM
newmo30
Advanced

Pilot Dan,
How do you relocate the hole on the outer reinforcement to make it work? The bolt is spinning so I assume the nut rusted off the outer reinforcement plate. I bought both inner and outer reinforcement plates. The inner reinforcements are replaceable with the body on the frame? A lot of work just to replace the worn out belts!

Thanks,
Newmo30
Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I have been thinking of installing 3 point seat belts in my car but have not decided yet
Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by newmo30
Pilot Dan,
How do you relocate the hole on the outer reinforcement to make it work? The bolt is spinning so I assume the nut rusted off the outer reinforcement plate. I bought both inner and outer reinforcement plates. The inner reinforcements are replaceable with the body on the frame? A lot of work just to replace the worn out belts!

Thanks,
Newmo30
If you still have the corner plate, you could cut off the frozen bolt and try to get a nut on the back side. Many of those corner plates are too badly rusted, and with those you can drill a new hole straight down and relocate the seatbelt mounting through the floor and the hole in the frame corner bracket using a large heavy flat washer on the backside. Not ideal, but there simply is not enough clearance to replace the corner with the body on. The inners are no problem to replace.

ps Sorry to the regulars for responding to a 3 year old thread, did not catch that first time.

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 03-31-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Tim Cronin
4th Gear

I just purchased a 1964 with no seat belts. The tunnel has the reinforcement plates so I am ok on the inside.
On the outside my car has side pipes. There are brackets with a bolt going into the car however I can not get to the nut to loosen and install the belts. Is the access panel in the front of the rear wheel well that way to get to the nut? If so is there any special way to re seal the panel when re assembling?
Also purchased bolts from Long Island Corvette and they stated the 4 bolts (hex head) are the ones to use
Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 AM
daz_au
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

My '64 came with belts that someone had attached straight to the floor with a 3/8" nut and bolt in the fiberglass. I reckon I could have pulled them through the floor just by tugging on them.

I guess someone removed them and then a subsequent owner wanted them back but didnt know about the holes. I found the holes full of all kinds of dirt and junk that collected in there over the years. I flushed them out with wd40 and got them clear.

I got some bolts from a local corvette place, they looked like this :

Re-attached the same belts with these and feel a little more confident !

Quick Reply: 64 seat belt install dox?