C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Flickering headlight- bulb or wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:06 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Flickering headlight- bulb or wiring?

Last night while returning home from a car club get together, I noticed the left side headlight "flickering" on low beam. When I used hi-beam, the flickering stopped. Wiring all looks ok - does this sound like a bad headlight? Car is a 57. Thanks for any help.

John
Old 06-08-2008, 07:45 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was a bad ground it wouuld make no difference - high or low beam.

I'd check the bulb. On low beam smack it a little and see if it flickers - might be a sign that the filament is about to go south.

If it stays on and does not flicker, you might also check for the wires being corroded etc.

Best of luck
Old 06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Yellow6t7
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by richbopp

I'd check the bulb. On low beam smack it a little and see if it flickers - might be a sign that the filament is about to go south.

If it stays on and does not flicker, you might also check for the wires being corroded etc.

Best of luck

Headlight switch. Replace it.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vettepoor
Last night while returning home from a car club get together, I noticed the left side headlight "flickering" on low beam. When I used hi-beam, the flickering stopped. Wiring all looks ok - does this sound like a bad headlight? Car is a 57. Thanks for any help.

John
Originally Posted by richbopp

Best of luck
with Rich, and additionally, if the headlight switch were bad, all the headlights would be affected in the same manner. The key thing here is that it's only happening to the left low beam.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

John
The same thing happend to my 60. I put in a new headlight switch and that fixed the problem. The old switch also generated more heat than a new one.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Im going to go with the bulb is going bad, I remember the prongs on the bulbs come loose after years or from guys yanking the plugs off. Try the bulb first, connector, switch, ground.

Last edited by Bowtyeguy; 06-10-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Update - I found that when car is not running, all seems well. When idling, flickering starts, then stops (again on low beam only). Increasing rpms didn't seem to make any difference. I checked connections, and now I wonder if this has something to do with the charging system? I am reading 17 volts at idle at generator, about 15 volts at battery (lights off); reading at gen. drops to about 14v with lights on. Any ideas?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update - I found that when car is not running, all seems well. When idling, flickering starts, then stops (again on low beam only). Increasing rpms didn't seem to make any difference. I checked connections, and now I wonder if this has something to do with the charging system? I am reading 17 volts at idle at generator, about 15 volts at battery (lights off); reading at gen. drops to about 14v with lights on. Any ideas?
Bulb. Filiment is probably just hanging on by a thread and when the car vibrates - it vibrates and looks like it flickering.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 AM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap the bulbs from left to right and see if the problem stays on the left or travels with the bulb.

and keep us updated
Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Now I am confused! Replaced the headlamp, rechecked connections at switch and light, same issue. No flicker when engine off, flickers when engine is running. I am wondering now if my voltage regulator is sticking? Why just the one light, on low beam, and not the other, or no problem on high beam??? I have checked and rechecked the wiring and connectors.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similiar problem tonight. On the way home from a local cruise, my high beams started to flicker so bad that I actually think they went out a few times. Flicker was minimal at idle.I have replaced the headlight switch, 4 bulbs, alternator and voltage regulator within the last two years. I don't drive at night that often, but I still want to have dependable lighting.

Get notified of new replies

To Flickering headlight- bulb or wiring?

Quick Reply: Flickering headlight- bulb or wiring?