C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stereo in a midyear suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 10:14 PM
65Tuxedo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stereo in a midyear suggestions?

I am considering boxing up my radio and installing an aftermarket stereo with a cassette or CD. What experiences have you guys had with this type of setup? Thanks. JB Lewis
Old 12-27-2001, 10:29 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Stereo in a midyear suggestions? (65Tuxedo)

65Tuxedo,

Don't have personal experience yet on what I just received for Christmas...my sons went in and surprised me with a Custom Autosound AM/FM Stero Cassette w/CD jack which fits into my existing radio opening. Along with the radio received a Custom Autosound Model DVC-69 6" x 9" Dual Voice Coil Speaker. Not sure whether I'm going to put a couple of speakers in back. Don't know if it's worthwhile since my side exhausts have given me plenty of "music". :jester

The radio allows a 6 disc CD changer to plug in. Not sure if I can just run the wire now and add the CD changer later.

If Magicmachines reads this, maybe he'll jump in as he's got a nice sound system.

Will keep you apprised of this winter project.

Regards,

Jim
Old 12-27-2001, 11:21 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had a few stereos in mine, and my current is a Custom Autosound. I also have a new Pioneer waiting for the CuAu to malfunction. I see in your profile that you have a coupe, so I won't have to tell you to get headrest speakers for top down driving. If your car is loud (sidepipes or headers?), get a high power unit. I don't think much of the CuAu search and set controls, and the readout is hard to read unless you are parked and in broad daylight. The good news is that your Corvette ***** will work on the CuAu controls. The bad news is that you must run 2 separate wires to each speaker or use a Scoche unit to isolate the CuAu, since it has a floating ground. :crazy: It was necessary in my roadster due to the 300 watt booster on the speakers behind the seats. If you attach the outputs to a common ground (as my booster is) the CuAu will be fried. :mad
Old 12-27-2001, 11:51 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have a `65 coupe and I use a "boom box" stereo/CD player sitting in the back when I want some tunes. The accoustics are great, no work involved, maintains the stock unit, and it's portable. Not a very good option for a convertable but sure works good for me.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:59 PM
65Tuxedo
Instructor

I'm using a boombox now, but I can't get it to play a cd loud enough to hear over the sidepipes. I can hear the radio and kinda hear a cassette.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:24 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

I have a older cadillac that has a boom stereo in it.When we are coming home from cruises I can hear the stereo in the cadillac while crusing behind my wife in the caddy at high way speed over the pipes in my b/b roadster clear as a bell.If I were to put in a stereo I would put in the sony again hidden in one of the compartments behind the seat.(leave the original radio where it is)sony has a stalk control to remote control it.ecklers has speaker availible for the sail panels and one that can go in the back.I would purchase them and then change them out with polk speakers.I put the stereo in the caddy my self and was never happy with the sound from it.I brought the car back to the place I purchased every thing from and had them re do it.the speaker are hidden, the amps are hidden,the cd is hidden,the stereo sounds great at any level.The guy who installed the stereo system used the car in a compition in NYC and took secound place with it.If your looking for exceptional sound this is something left to a high quaility proffesional.If your looking just to play some cd's instead of am radio then the other system would work well.When I first got my car I took it to this fellow (before I decided to go the NCRS way) and he desighned a system for the car with 6 speakers in it and aplified and a cd changer the cost would of been $2800.00 and he said if I let him use the car in a compition again he would gaurenntee it would place in the top 3 or he would do it for free.Again this would of been a totally hidden system.good luck
Old 12-28-2001, 11:03 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

I have a radio delete car (18 yrs.now)
I have also used a boom box with good results.
(on long trips)
Better than hacking it up & trying to figure out
where to put modern speakers.
You might want to give it a try.
You can get a pretty good one for about $100.00
and it might sound as good or better than a stereo?
Good luck! :cheers:
Old 12-28-2001, 11:14 AM
ronets
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just put in a Power Amp in one of the wells with two box speakers bolted in the back. The stereo itself is one of the pioneer jobs in any of the catelogs. The Amp is pretty big, but what a difference in sound.....
If you really want to do something special, remove the side kick panels and fit them with some small speakers.... along with the center dash one... then you should be all set...

ronets vert 63
Old 12-28-2001, 11:50 AM
damac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stereo in a midyear suggestions? (ronets)

I put a CD player in the glovebox of my 65 and surface mounted speakers on the kick panels. I have a credit card sized remote that I use to run my stereo. The glovebox liner had to be cut a little, but when the glovebox door is shut you can't see the stereo. The surface mounted speakers are a little awkward, but I preferred them because it did not require any permanent mods to my car. My car is actually pretty quiet, even though it has a radical cam and big mufflers.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo in a midyear suggestions?

Quick Reply: Stereo in a midyear suggestions?