C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Garage Heater in Toronto, Ontario

Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
66 milano
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Garage Heater in Toronto, Ontario

I'm trying to find a company that installs either gas heaters or electric heaters for my two-car garage.

Appreciate any names / numbers that you have used.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My brand is "Dayton"

It is a gas space heater. I happen to have a friend in the biz, so his preferred method of payment is alcohol, but any competent local HVAC company that does residential work can install one.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Or you can go with a gas fired Reznor heater. 45,000 btu's, sealed combustion chamber, draws air from the outside & mounts 1" from the ceiling. Price is around $450.00.
Roy
Attached Images   

Last edited by 67-427ci; 07-22-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 PM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a ventless unit in my shop, and it was propane....it created a lot of moisture....so, I went with wall mount electric heaters, dry, clean....and warm right now....each one is 4500 watts, and has its own thermostat, and fan...very simple to hook up and operate.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:35 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Something else to consider is the operating cost. I installed a large propane heater in my shop a few years ago and now, due to the price of propane, I wish I had gone with electric. Last winter was pretty mild and I didn't use a complete tank of propane, so the good old gas company hit me with a "tank rental" fee.

Charles
Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
Something else to consider is the operating cost. I installed a large propane heater in my shop a few years ago and now, due to the price of propane, I wish I had gone with electric.
Anticipating the future cost of a particular commodity is a real crap shoot. My Mother's house was built in 1972-1973 when electricity was really cheap.

The house has 4 electric resistance furnaces plus electric resistance ceiling heat as a supplement. There is one natural gas furnace as a back-up.

Some of the utility bills I have paid for that house would choke a mule.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:50 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
Anticipating the future cost of a particular commodity is a real crap shoot. My Mother's house was built in 1972-1973 when electricity was really cheap.

The house has 4 electric resistance furnaces plus electric resistance ceiling heat as a supplement. There is one natural gas furnace as a back-up.

Some of the utility bills I have paid for that house would choke a mule.

.......... And he lives in Arizona where it does NOT get cold!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Something else to consider is the operating cost. I installed a large propane heater in my shop a few years ago and now, due to the price of propane, I wish I had gone with electric. Last winter was pretty mild and I didn't use a complete tank of propane, so the good old gas company hit me with a "tank rental" fee.

Charles
My Reznor natural gas heater added around $25.00 to my monthly bill. I keep it at 68F when working out there, otherwise it is at 60F.
Roy
Old 07-23-2008, 04:18 PM
cladkeeper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have forced hot water in your house you could just add another zone to your house system through a fan coil unit up high. Your system would have to be able to handle the additional btu's needed to do this. A plumbing supply house can do the calculation for you. I think your better to put whatever you go with up high with a fan rather than say an electric wall unit etc. that could pose a safety hazard down near the floor.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you try posting in the Canadian section? Most of the guys are in the GTA and might have some local recommendations for you.

Paul
Old 07-23-2008, 07:22 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by solidaxel
.......... And he lives in Arizona where it does NOT get cold!!!!
Actually, the monstrosity I described is located in Illinois.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
66 milano
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip on posting in the Canadian section; makes good sense.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have a detached garage or Pole Barn as I do a Waste Oil heater is the only way to go I feel. I have had my 235,000 BTU Reznor waste oil heater since '99. It was one of the best moves I could of made for my 42'x60' Morton Pole Barn. Prior to getting mine I use to try to keep warm out there during the winter months using a couple of those torpedo style Kerosene heaters. Got the place warm right away but the noise and smell of Kerosene was the drawback. I did this from '91 up on to '99 when Kerosene was getting to become too expensive. I use to pay about 89 cents a gallon purchased in bulk if I remember correctly up until maybe '96. Waste oil, well there is a abundance of it out there that people are willing to just give away. If you have many vehicles and change your own oil all year your waste oil has another purpose other then you trying to get rid of it.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by ffas23
If you have a detached garage or Pole Barn as I do a Waste Oil heater is the only way to go I feel. I have had my 235,000 BTU Reznor waste oil heater since '99. It was one of the best moves I could of made for my 42'x60' Morton Pole Barn. Prior to getting mine I use to try to keep warm out there during the winter months using a couple of those torpedo style Kerosene heaters. Got the place warm right away but the noise and smell of Kerosene was the drawback. I did this from '91 up on to '99 when Kerosene was getting to become too expensive. I use to pay about 89 cents a gallon purchased in bulk if I remember correctly up until maybe '96. Waste oil, well there is a abundance of it out there that people are willing to just give away. If you have many vehicles and change your own oil all year your waste oil has another purpose other then you trying to get rid of it.
Now that's a good idea. I'm sure that I have enough vehicles around here to keep it running. Does it burn Mobile 1?
Charles
Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Now that's a good idea. I'm sure that I have enough vehicles around here to keep it running. Does it burn Mobile 1?
Charles
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here but my Instant Email Notification on this forum is not working anymore and no one seems to have any answers for me to what is going on about it. Still waiting for Moderator Master Dave to answer my PM to him from a couple of weeks ago about it.

To your question of will the waste oil heater burn Mobile One and the answers is yes it will. It will burn all oils, transmission fluid etc. One of the best moves that I ever made I have to tell you. The Reznor Waste Oil heater will also work with heating oil if that is what you choose to use at the rediculous prices they charge for it. The heater adjusts on its own for the viscosity of the oil that is drawn from the tank.

Last edited by ffas23; 07-27-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:58 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ffas23
We've been using waste oil to heat our shop at our Chevrolet dealership for the past 8 years also. I understand they have a waste oil unit that is now available for A/C. I will be looking at that when we relocate in June '09.
There is also a system available now using waste oil (3qts. to 1qt. of diesel fuel) to run diesel engines. We are investigating the feasibility along with any tax ramifications.

Regards,

Fred
Old 07-27-2008, 06:22 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default heater

I have a two car insulated attached garage in Toronto, several years ago I bought a small constrution type heater at Home Depot for about $100.00. It is electric 240 volt I think, had to buy a wall outlet for the heater as well. I keep my garage at about 55 from Oct to Apr and turn it up to 65 about 1/2 hr before I go out to work in it. This little heater has worked without fail for at least 7 years. Mine is brown in colour they also sell a red one, not sure what the differance is. If you are interested in taking a look send me a P.M and I'll give you my number.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Heater in Toronto, Ontario

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage Heater in Toronto, Ontario