C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Ignition switch help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Frankenvette 63
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 63 Ignition switch help please

I purchased a new ignition switch for my 63 and got it installed, no problem. However, I noticed the key must be in the lock position to be pulled out, my old switch let you remove the key either in lock or off. Which one is correct?

Second issue, the car started fine for some time after the ignition switch change, go out to start it this afternoon and it wouldn't fire. Tried again and it fired only after I let off the start position. Any ideas?

Curious, the new switch also seems tighter than the old switch, as in it doesn't seem to return to on after starting, requires you to move it manually. Is this correct?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Frankenvette 63
Burning Brakes

Thought I should clarify, this is not an original ignition system, it has been converted to an MSD.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:50 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Original switch lets you remove in off or lock positions.

Having to manually return the key to the run position from the start position indicates the lock cylinder is binding internally. It should return by itself when you stop holding the key to the right.

I tested my original switch and was able to reuse it as it was functioning correctly. I had purchased an aftermarket switch which did precisely what you describe.

Rich
Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Frankenvette 63
Burning Brakes

Rich, thanks for the response. I still have the original and replaced it because of some starter run on issues, thought I should change it while I'm at it, cheap enough. Guess I'll put it back in, but need to check the lock.

Are the aftermarket locks any good, and any suggestion for where to buy it?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:04 PM
C2Driver
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Original switch lets you remove in off or lock positions.

<<<Snip>>>

Rich
??? I can pull my key out in any position. I often pull it out when the engine is running to lock my garage door opener in the glove box. As I recall, this is how it is supposed to work.

- Pat
Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C2Driver
??? I can pull my key out in any position. I often pull it out when the engine is running to lock my garage door opener in the glove box. As I recall, this is how it is supposed to work.

- Pat
I can remember from our GM cars in the 50's that if you left the ignition switch in the off position you could drive the car without keys because the switch would actuate. If left in the lock position you could not move the switch.

We used to leave them in the off position so that anyone on the farm could use the car.

Just went out and double checked the 63. You can remove the key in any position except the accessory position on my switch. Leave it in the off position and you can start and drive the car. Leave it in the lock position and you need a key.

Rich
Old 08-03-2008, 10:20 PM
C2Driver
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
I can remember from our GM cars in the 50's that if you left the ignition switch in the off position you could drive the car without keys because the switch would actuate. If left in the lock position you could not move the switch.

We used to leave them in the off position so that anyone on the farm could use the car.

Just went out and double checked the 63. You can remove the key in any position except the accessory position on my switch. Leave it in the off position and you can start and drive the car. Leave it in the lock position and you need a key.

Rich
Hmmmm, well Rich, curiosity got the best of me so I went and checked mine too. My key also pulls out in the accessory position as well. Maybe I have a defective switch. But it works well, so I'll leave it alone.

- Pat
Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C2Driver
Hmmmm, well Rich, curiosity got the best of me so I went and checked mine too. My key also pulls out in the accessory position as well. Maybe I have a defective switch. But it works well, so I'll leave it alone.

- Pat
Pat:

Or else I didn't pull hard enough. But there was significant resistance so I didn't force it.

Rich
Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 AM
rick63vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 63, I can pull the key out in the accessory position.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Ignition switch help please

Quick Reply: 63 Ignition switch help please