C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie shifter rattle.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:57 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack

I showed that same link to him a month ago, 'at the top of this page'...he either tried it and didn't work or he didn't read it earlier...
Sorry, when I saw the thread was started 8 years ago, I didn't go back and follow all the links. I just had the one from JohnZ saved, and I might add I've never tried it to see how much difference it makes.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:01 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
First, Do you have access to welder?

You can weld it in car, but COVER EVERYTHING...

You don't have to remove the shifter, just take the center console out, shifter boot/keeper ring for boot...you can see from the top where it needs to be welded...just watch out for any and all OILS...

BUT:::

If you need to take out the shifter to take to a welder and once you remove it you will see where it needs to be welded you don't have to take it apart....just a nice spot weld will do...in the one spot shown in the photo...

:::EDIT:::

You wont have to have it re-chromed either...
Good to know.

So, just a quick tack weld in one spot? Don't have to go over the entire perimeter?

Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:07 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Good to know.

So, just a quick tack weld in one spot? Don't have to go over the entire perimeter?

Thanks again.
Thats what it did...just make sure its big enough and deep enough..
Old 05-09-2016, 07:55 PM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OCS1667
You might try checking your drive shaft and make sure it is not out of balance. Be sure and check the bushing in the tail piece for ware, at the same time look over the slip yoke when you remove the drive shaft for ware.
If the above is not correct, this will cause vibrations and the rattling you are experiencing.
Dennis

I had an old 1950 chevy truck with a dodge engine before and it used to really get vibration while driving high speed over 70km and balancing the driveshaft did the trick on that one. I will try the bushings and stuff first and keep an eye on the driveshaft too
Old 05-10-2016, 11:58 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Rattles are caused by vibration. Fix the source of the vibration, and you fix the rattle. Have run into nasty shifter rattles in HURST shifter-equipped cars, and repairing the driveshaft/yoke was the cure most of the time. Once it was due to a missing pilot bushing. Installing nylon shims and spacers is a band-aid. And anybody who drives with their hand on the shifter all the time has no understanding of transmissions, or the damage they're doing. Fix the source of the vibration and the shifter will be quiet.
The following users liked this post:
easyriderknucklehead (05-13-2016)

Quick Reply: Muncie shifter rattle.....