C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

427/400 chrome valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

The fact is there is no reason for him to feed me a line. I don't own the car and it makes no sense for him to try and tell me a story. It is a matching numbers car so why would he make up a story? We talked for a long time and he went into great detail as to why it had chrome valve covers.
The car was built in Missouri.
I'm going back to the C5 forum where people are a little more open minded.
By the way we have owned a 57 -270HP 4 speed, a 61 230 HP 4speed and a 62 Fulie with factory knock offs. Don't want to tell any stories about them that might offend someone.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

God am I in trouble now. I made a typo it was a 64 fulie I do know that there were no factory knock off in 62 ,color was white. Now you can tell me there was never a white one made.
LOL
Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM
jntdysf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Anyone care to discuss 67 small block cars receiving big block hoods when the factory ran out of small block hoods?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jntdysf
Anyone care to discuss 67 small block cars receiving big block hoods when the factory ran out of small block hoods?
yes its in a book no it never happend.
and to the OP the reason why we get offences here not like C5 section. Most of all the stories people post here have been around for at least 30 years or so. And we are talking about cars the sell for over 50K used and beat up. Unlike a C5 that barely sold for 50K new. And most of not all the little known facts are well known by a lot of people. Just my 2cents your welcome back here anytime you have a question about these old cars. jsut try not to pull the wool over anyone eyes and tells big fish stories. we can spot them a mile away
Old 10-07-2008, 10:29 PM
BLee
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an old friend used to say...."you can't bullsh!t someone who's hockey-proof"

BL
Old 10-07-2008, 11:42 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobtam
The fact is there is no reason for him to feed me a line. I don't own the car and it makes no sense for him to try and tell me a story. It is a matching numbers car so why would he make up a story? We talked for a long time and he went into great detail as to why it had chrome valve covers.
The car was built in Missouri.
By the way we have owned a 57 -270HP 4 speed, a 61 230 HP 4speed and a 62 Fulie with factory knock offs. Don't want to tell any stories about them that might offend someone.
more openminded?
you have multiple VERY knowledgeable who know these cars and their history inside and out telling you the truth with no reason to lie or try to BS you about it and yet you refuse to listen or believe them and you call us not openminded??
I think you are the one that needs to be openminded as to the REAL information as it's been put in front of you on a silver platter, including by someone that was there at the time!

BUT, if you insist on wanting to believe that GM made nice chrome valve covers, than paid the line workers to take a hammer to those nice chrome valve covers and beat the crap out of them before installing them on cars make yourself happy. It's about as plausible of a story as the indentations in the doors of a C5 being made by forming the fiberglass doors as a smooth flat door than every single one was beaten on by hammers by the line workers as it went down the line in Bowling Green. Afterall, it's easier to simply beat the tar out of the door with a hammer than to actually create a mold for the door in the correct shape.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by Bobtam
* * * * BYE * * * *

While your gone maybe you could find one (1) piece of GM/Chevrolet documentation from the mid 60's the talk about or show the "CHROME COVERS" and/or "BEAT WITH HAMMER". I looked through the Official Factory Assembly Manual and it I couldn't find a note about either, perhaps you could look through your copy and point us to those entries. That infomation would a great addition to the vast knowledge base that has been built for the past 40 years and as yet to be discovered. Then the NCRS could rewrite their very detailed wording to include "BEAT WITH HAMMER" at the factory.

George

Here is a page from the Official Factory Assembly Manual used on the line in St. Louis for the J50 (Power Brakes) option and again no mention of hammering anything.

Actually this is from the '65 model year and just maybe the '67 has the "Hammer' language in it.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:06 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Bobtam
I noticed from a search of your other posts that a month or so ago you were looking for new headers for your C5 and posted asking what make and model will fit well on your car. Just buy anything out there and if they don't fit buy a big hammer and beat on them until they do - afterall, that's how GM does it......
Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

After having watched this thread develop - evolve - devolve, I can offer the following thoughts to Bobtam:

1. We aren't snotty or rude here. You came in and posted up with an erroneous factual statement, and your error was corrected - that should be of help to you, you got the truth.

2. You seem to have not accepted the advice from this group (the C2 forum, which knows a great deal about the 67) and it has been pointed out that one of the posters who took the time to provide correct info is pretty damn well-informed, even worked at a GM plant and is deeply involved in the NCRS (where "as delivered" from the factory is THE focus) not to mention the fact that other posters here have access to very deep and accurate info on the 67, including having heard all "stories" over the years (with interest, because these are the cars we care about).

3. And yet you seem to have rejected this sound, well-founded advice, and have gotten offended that we "didn't believe you." Finally, you have indicated that you will now return to the C5 forum, where they are much nicer to you - we have been pretty freakin nice, and lots of guys took the time to type up posts trying to help you get to the truth - you wanted to know the truth, right?

All I can do is add my own "buh bye" and wish you luck back on the C5 forum, will you be telling THEM that the factory actually produced a bunch of C5s in disco purple, even though there are no records of it having happened and guys who were at the factory at the time say it never happened?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 AM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
Bobtam
I noticed from a search of your other posts that a month or so ago you were looking for new headers for your C5 and posted asking what make and model will fit well on your car. Just buy anything out there and if they don't fit buy a big hammer and beat on them until they do - afterall, that's how GM does it......

Good one Barry. Funny Chit.

Next we will see a bunch of listings on ebay, original reproduction chrome valve covers, correct hammer marks for your 1967 Corvette.

oWEN
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette

Good one Barry. Funny Chit.

Next we will see a bunch of listings on ebay, original reproduction chrome valve covers, correct hammer marks for your 1967 Corvette.

oWEN
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

And of course these will be authenicated by a reputable shop that can confirm they are factory hammer marks by the distinquishing ball peen marks left by the hammer that is located in the Corvette Museum.

Steve
Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 AM
BLee
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You see how much an original knock-off wheel hammer goes for, just imagine how valuable an authentic valve cover hammer from St. Louis would be worth.

BL
Old 10-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm the original owner of a '67 427/435 Vette (ordered it in November of 1966 and got it in March of 1967). It has chrome valve covers-----but not from the factory. My wife ordered them from the Chevy dealer for my 1967 Christmas present. I guess you could say that chrome valve covers were a "dealer installed" option, but that's it.

The engine factory (even if short of parts) wouldn't hammer in a valve cover. Let's face it, what would the original owner have said when he went to pick up the car!!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:56 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I hate to venture in here - but considering the relatively thin stamped steel in the factory valve covers, I think any half-way responsible factory line supervisor would question how flat those valve cover gasket surfaces will be after working them over with a hammer and how many leaks are going to result. Like Judge Judy says - if it doesn't make sense it just isn't true.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for the laughs!

Maybe bubba beat on the painted valve covers too.

Quick Reply: 427/400 chrome valve covers