C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Check this out...CObra vs Grand sport video!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:58 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,769 Likes on 1,671 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by n1kon
Wow...you really and I mean really hated the video. I'm sad to hear it though..I thought everyone getting to see these two mixing it up on the track. You have to admit that getting to see the Grand Sport hauling a$$ is pretty cool...come on!
YEP, that is exactly correct!
I don't get any enjoyment out of videos that are doing all that jumping around every split second (can't really enjoy watching the car, plane, boat, or whatever it is), and I REALLY HATE IT when idiots dub in music and drown out the REAL sounds of the machinery. Ruins it for me.
After the few seconds of watching it, and not being able to understand a single word of what was being said, I turned it off.

If you looked at the videos I posted from the airshow, you will notice there is no stupid music drowning out the sounds of the old warbirds. Just pure sounds of the machinery--------------all you have to do is turn up your volume. That's EXACTLY how it should be with cars---------------ESPECIALLY with race cars. You sure DO NOT HEAR that crappin' music when you go to the track. Why should it be added to a video???????????????????????????? I DO NOT get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by DZAUTO; 10-12-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
n1kon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I don't get any enjoyment out of videos that are doing all that jumping around every split second (can't really enjoy watching the car, plane, boat, or whatever it is), and I REALLY HATE IT when idiots dub in music and drown out the REAL sounds of the machinery. Ruins it for me.
After the few seconds of watching it, and not being able to understand a single word of what was being said, I turned it off.

If you looked at the videos I posted from the airshow, you will notice there is no stupid music drowning out the sounds of the old warbirds. Just pure sounds of the machinery--------------all you have to do is turn up your volume. That's EXACTLY how it should be with cars---------------ESPECIALLY with race cars. You sure DO NOT HEAR that crappin' music when you go to the track. Why should it be added to a video???????????????????????????? I DO NOT get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do agree that they should not have music so we can just hear the sounds of the cars. Some of the angles are unnecessary....but just do me a favor though(since you said that you just turned it off). Watch just part 2 with the volume low. The GS and the Cobra do a toe to toe race around a circuit...it's great! I think even with the crazy angles you will enjoy it!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:22 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty cool. The way she was fighting the wheel and the tendency of the Cobra to oversteer makes me think the straight axle was really hurting the Cobra. Probably has too much rear bar too.

The Corvette probably has a C4 rear end with coil-overs and the independent suspension works in its favor.

I would have liked to see Sabina take the Mongoose for a lap!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Quacker
Racer

Check this out in the autocross roadracing section

Aaron Quine Races Mongoose Cars At Kit Car shoot Out In St. Louis
Old 10-12-2008, 08:34 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Seaside63
Pretty cool. The way she was fighting the wheel and the tendency of the Cobra to oversteer makes me think the straight axle was really hurting the Cobra. Probably has too much rear bar too.

The Cobra is running all BMW suspension. I believe it has an IRS.

Jim
Old 10-12-2008, 08:36 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO

I think you need to increase your metmucil intake.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,769 Likes on 1,671 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by n1kon
I do agree that they should not have music so we can just hear the sounds of the cars. Some of the angles are unnecessary....but just do me a favor though(since you said that you just turned it off). Watch just part 2 with the volume low. The GS and the Cobra do a toe to toe race around a circuit...it's great! I think even with the crazy angles you will enjoy it!
OK, I did your favor.
Still nope.
The music and the jabbering (and you can't even understand what they're saying!!!) degrades the video.
Mine are amaturish, taken with a simple digital camera, but at least you get the full sound of the REAL machinery. So, that brings up the question, just how much better would the audio be when professional video equipment is used????????????????
Turn up the volume on these and see the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS is what the audio portion of a video should be like!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXXPkUvYlg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xra1mG1yE8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVMzyKWBTHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFepdn-27R0

Listen to this as it climbs out, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off in the distance.
When people make videos, this is the kind of stuff that gets drowned out or muffled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxhiOiGPDtQ

Listen to the starter whine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT488Lvsob8

These are examples of what I'm talking about in videos of various kinds of machinery are made, and typically the audio of the machinery is drowned out by something--------------------routinely, it's music!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I watched the first part and it looked like too much goofing around with the cars, not a serious demonstration of how they performed. Maybe they did in the second, but by the time I got halfway through with the first, I was done.

This kind of stuff is how Hollywood makes cars look fast.

Really fast cars, and really fast drivers, usually look slow. Until you check lap times.

Besides, I don't get it. What is all the fuss over a customized Corvette? Somebody shows up with one with flares and it is junk. One of the high dollar places making these show up and they are wonderful.

They are both just customized Corvettes.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:41 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Video is no longer available becasue of "use violation" ???

DZAUTO, I gotta agree with you on this one, even though I can't view the video......................
Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If they have aluminum bodies AND CSX2xxx or CSX3xxx serial numbers, they're real; otherwise they're replicas.

100%.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Videos have been removed
Old 11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Quacker
Racer

Just to set the record stright the Cobra was on R comp tires and the GS was on Sumitomo street tires. You are correct on the horse power.

You can view one of the videos on the bottom of the page here

http://www.mongoosems.com/

The Mongoose guys do a great job.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Qblue92
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have video somewhere of a '63 SWC and a Cobra(real I think) getting into a tangle at the 2002? Monterey Historics. Both were banged up and the '63 spun out.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,524 Likes on 3,002 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Qblue92
I have video somewhere of a '63 SWC and a Cobra(real I think) getting into a tangle at the 2002? Monterey Historics. Both were banged up and the '63 spun out.
That would have been "Fast" Phil Currin (Corvette) and the late Mac Archer (427 Cobra).

You can see the accident sequence here:

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Ma...nIncident.html

Jim
Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Tom was the "Mongoose" because Don Prudhomme was the "Snake". Supposedly the only animal that can kill a Cobra is a mongoose. Sounds like they chose the same snake/mongoose metaphor that served McEwen/Prudhomme so well way back then.
Were the original Grand Sports ever referred to as mongooses back when?

Paul
I remember some SCCA Corvette drivers wearing "Mongoose" T-shirts back in the day, not sure about GS people.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Tom was the "Mongoose" because Don Prudhomme was the "Snake". Supposedly the only animal that can kill a Cobra is a mongoose. Sounds like they chose the same snake/mongoose metaphor that served McEwen/Prudhomme so well way back then.
Were the original Grand Sports ever referred to as mongooses back when?

Paul
I remember some SCCA Corvette drivers wearing "Mongoose" T-shirts back in the day, not sure about GS people. Sometimes they'd just wear regular Shelby (CobraCobraCobraCobraCobra) shirts to **** off the Ford drivers.

Get notified of new replies

To Check this out...CObra vs Grand sport video!!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I could not get the OP links to work...what is the secret?

Here is one of a drag race between Cobra and Mongoose Grand Sport.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:50 PM
n1kon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry N. Johnson

Here is one of a drag race between Cobra and Mongoose Grand Sport.
Try this.

http://www.vettetube.com/view_video....2e9377d6c4f755

GS-430 hp dot sticky tires.

Cobra-610+hp street tires.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:13 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry N. Johnson
The thread was 2 years old when it was resurrected. Looks like the OP has it covered now though.

Quick Reply: Check this out...CObra vs Grand sport video!!