C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Heater Core, before I start..

Old 01-17-2002, 05:54 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 67 Heater Core, before I start..

Ok, I know I was dumb to pull before splitting the hose!!! Now that I have to replace the heater core because of the broken nipple though the firewall, is there anything else I need to be aware of before getting into the exchange. Plan to cover the carpet with plastic and towels in case I spill, but any other tips on swapping out a heater core on a non-AC small block?

Anything is appreciated! :confused:
Old 01-17-2002, 06:03 PM
stngry63
Racer

Default Re: 67 Heater Core, before I start.. (York67vette)

No tips. Just don't get fustrated putting the new one in and break it. They don't slide in easily. :smash: I'm really interested if someone posts an easy way. I smell antifreeze when I turn on the heat. I don't know if it is from the last leaking core or :cry
Old 01-17-2002, 06:15 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! I learned my leasson, it was the last connection replacing heater hoses and expansion tank tee and even had the @#$% razor in my pocket! Really wished I could go back in time for just 15 seconds!
Old 01-17-2002, 06:33 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I took mine to Walts and he recored it using my nips for 1/3rd of the cost of a new one. Had it back the next day. Just an idea to save ya $50 or so. Make sure you tell them it's from an old CORVETTE! :D
Old 01-17-2002, 06:40 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 67 Heater Core, before I start.. (MasterDave)

Thanks,

I found one at a local 'vette parts house from a reputable guy for a reasonable pricecompared to the big parts guys. Knowing me I'll wind up breaking something else taking it apart, may take your suggestion and keep the old one as a spare!
Old 01-17-2002, 07:30 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

It's been a couple years now, but it seems to me I had to remove/install the heater core and plenum as one unit. I remember putting the core inside the box prior to installing for some reason. Hope this helps.....
Old 01-17-2002, 07:41 PM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

This is a Pain in the .... well you know..
But it really is..
If this was an AC car, I would say...
FORGETABOUTIT !!!!

Damn engineers

A friend did this a year ago on his 63 I'll ask if he has any tips.

Tony

Good luck
Old 01-18-2002, 09:48 AM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll post how it went on Monday and include the mistakes I make and how to avoid them for others. Chiltons has reduced it to 7 sentances...something tells me they oversimplified it!

This is the first time I've posted a subject on the forum, usually just hang out in the Southeast section. I'm really impressed at the interaction once I started posting!
Old 01-18-2002, 09:50 AM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 67 Heater Core, before I start.. (pittsaj)

Thanks,

I'm planning on starting it Saturday A.M. Will post results on Monday if I don't bust too many knuckles to type!
Old 01-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Desertvette
Instructor

About 15 years ago i had this problem with the heater core nipples cracking.
I remember standing on my head to remove that core from under the dash and not just once but about a year latter for the same thing. Both times I had the nipples resoldered by my local radiator shop only to fail again
At the time i had a friend who was into Motorcross Racing
Huskys and while telling him of my problem he recommended I try a solder the guys were using on there clucth cable stops with great success. Since I was'nt having success with the radiator shops,I decided why not can't be much worse. So he got out some Eutectic 157 solder used for stainless steel counter tops. This stuff is not cheap, suppose to be more expensive than silver solder. But thats the last time I have takin out the heater core in my Vette. This stuff is strong.
I don't know where you can get it but should be able to find something on the internet using Google. LOL
Bob :smash:
Old 01-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..i just did mine on the '65 non A/C and had one helluva'n easier time than the '66 non A/C...the thing just dropped back into the pasenger compartment with no problem....i dunno, i guess my advice is, as noted previously, to just be patient and get all the cables out of the way...remember, there should be a retainer nut on the inboard side of the box (passenger compartment side), just behind the radio (no further comments on that :rolleyes: )

..i replaced my heater core (hurry everybody, it's for sale and i'll gurantee it has the numbers YOU NEED!!!) with a repro and it didn't fit 'zactly the way it should since the large inlet pipe interfered with the firewall cutout...i relieved the opening with a carbide bit and it's not noticeable but wtf :confused:

[Modified by Kid_Again, 12:57 PM 1/18/2002]
Old 01-18-2002, 02:08 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 67 Heater Core, before I start.. (Desertvette)

Thanks for the tip, I think my main problem was operator error, but I really don't think the nipple would have come out so easy if it were not about to give out anyway. I'll see if I can find anyone with this solder if I repair the old one. :yesnod:
Old 01-18-2002, 02:14 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 67 Heater Core, before I start.. (Kid_Again)

Thanks for the tip on the retaining nut, I think patience will be the key, I can somtimes break an anvil with a rubber mallet. As I started taking things apart last night I noticed some rust damage inside on the side of the firewall frame that the nipple that broke was and it was damp. I needed to get under the dash anyway to see what has been done to it. :smash:
Old 01-18-2002, 04:46 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 67 Heater Core, before I start.. (Kid_Again)

Kid

Are you turning into a "Capitalist Numbers Profitier" I have so much numbers correct junk from my car perhaps I should have a fire sales myself. How about a radiator, ORIGINAL yup FREAKIN ORIGINAL SHOCKS, fan, engine and trans and exhaust manifolds, carb, distrib oh yeah my heater core. It leaks but it is original......Hmmm.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:44 PM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 67 Heater Core, before I start.. (TheOman)

In a while between all of us here on this forum,
We'll have enough extra parts to build another "Correct" Mid-Year :lol: :lol:

Talked to my friend and he said about what the others have already indicated..

Start by removing the glove box, right side radio cover, and cables..
He said to take your time and it should go smoothly.. :boxing
He also indicated that there was a difference in the bend on the new core inlet
Be careful if you try and correct it..
Might be better to modify the firewall slightly.

Now my suggestion:
A couple of Beers will help keep you cool....

If anything starts to go wrong don't :cry
Send us another note.. :yesnod:

I wonder when my core will give up the ghost... :rolleyes:
If it does, I think it's history because I understand the job is a bear
without AC
With AC it's.. a female dog.. :)

Tony
Old 01-18-2002, 06:24 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 67 Heater Core, before I start.. (TheOman)

...yeah, TheOman......i'm thinking about the junk up in the attic, defroster ducts, heater core, heater blower motor covers, starters, manifolds (cast iron), two sets of heads, old wiring harnesses (#match, of course, down to each little wire) a box of T3s (some even work), mufflers, exhaust pipes, distributors, old springs (???!!), air cleaners, radiator for the small block...man, and i've only been into this for about 4 years :rolleyes:
Old 01-19-2002, 01:16 PM
Don67
Advanced

Once you get the heater box out make sure you clean the inside good or you will have antifreeze smell for a long time. Also inspect for rust, mold and air door operation. As long as you have it out I would recommend ordering and installing a seal and gasket kit. These things are such a pain to remove and reinstall you will want to do it only one time.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:17 AM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 67 Heater Core, before I start.. (Don67)

Guys,

Thanks for all the input! Looks like I'll have to keep up with this forum too now.

I'm sorry to say I did not find the "best" way to remove a heater core. I did find the easiest way, you start with a car that's had a leak for quite some time and has completely corroded the inner mounting plate! Once you take the heater box off the core pretty much falls in the floorboard! :eek:

Good thing I had put down plenty of plastic and towels. All seems to be recoverable once the rest of the parts come in. Going to replace the gaskets and all mounting hardware. Pulled out the battery tray and did quite a bit of rust and acid cleanup and prevention. Finally decided to upgrade the front speaker while I've got it easy to get too.

All in all a fun weekend...maybe my wife is right about going to a C5....Naw I think that still needs to be an "and not an or" question!

Thanks again for all the input! I'll start a new thread once the parts come in! :cheers:
Old 01-21-2002, 02:37 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

It was some years ago that I wrestled out the heater core in my car, small as the dang thing was . ! .. I remember I had to work on taking out the heater core, in stages, just because of the contortion and frustration factor .. I don't know why I had such a heck of a time with it. .. It looked "easy" .. :smash: .. Patience is a virtue ... :cheers:
mrg

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Heater Core, before I start..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 Heater Core, before I start..