C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Its Back.... Shriner COPO with L-88...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:04 PM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

160 !!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:05 PM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

conveniently didn't show it until the hammer
Old 01-17-2009, 04:11 PM
boss429
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bj now had to lie and mislead to sell it! Quote, " has THE correct L88 drivetrain"??
Old 01-17-2009, 04:14 PM
boss429
3rd Gear

1 of 13 with only 5 known left to exist? It's a Schriner car. 300 motor! Is it that significant?
Old 01-17-2009, 04:26 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by boss429
1 of 13 with only 5 known left to exist? It's a Schriner car. 300 motor! Is it that significant?
I'd say that it is obsequious at best.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:41 PM
d-tailed
Intermediate

It's still a COPO car regardless. COPO cars in the corvette world are extremely rare because COPO was commonly used for ordering non RPO performance options in other models (camaro/chevelle). COPO's are very uncommon in the corvette line because you could order just about any hi-perf option thru RPO.

Not only are COPOs extremely rare in corvettes, they were known for being very well made on the assembly line because production people knew the COPO was probably for an executive or friend of and wanted it to be it's best....

They weren't claiming the car was an originally L88, just a COPO car that is now running an L88 drivetrain.

Sure BJ is a display of wealth and excess, but I don't see anyone here picketing in front of homes in Beverly Hills or Miami or 5th Ave Manhattan for spending more than the common person. If you work your a$$ off and have done well for yourself, you are welcome to do with your earnings whatever you please in whatever manner you please, last I checked at least.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:20 PM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

BJ is still no matter how you slice it. Anything for a buck. This is just another example of PT Branum's tactics. (Still like watching it though)

My .02.

Last edited by 53 Blue Flame Brett; 01-18-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
RPO_LT5
Instructor

Sorry I missed this portion of BJ on Speed. I've become more interested in this Vette since learning about it at Carlisle this past August. I don't know who was selling it there, but they were very clear when speaking to me of its history and it not being a TRUE FACTORY L-88.

The main thing that sparked my interest is its history to the Shrine, of which I am a member.

When my BJ book came in the mail, first time I've missed in several years, they had a nice photo of it and I thought I'm not going to miss this either live or on tv. Well I've missed both.

I would have gone half, if it truly hammered for $160K. At $80K I would have walked away. The numbers weren't that good at Carlisle for me to get serious.

I'd pay a fair market price for one of the Shrine Vette's. This just happend to have some other interesting history over the years, since it "became" a real L-88.

Last edited by RPO_LT5; 01-17-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: errors
Old 01-17-2009, 07:35 PM
RPO_LT5
Instructor

Originally Posted by boss429
To some Shriners it is.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by d-tailed
It's still a COPO car regardless. COPO cars in the corvette world are extremely rare because COPO was commonly used for ordering non RPO performance options in other models (camaro/chevelle). COPO's are very uncommon in the corvette line because you could order just about any hi-perf option thru RPO.

Not only are COPOs extremely rare in corvettes, they were known for being very well made on the assembly line because production people knew the COPO was probably for an executive or friend of and wanted it to be it's best....

They weren't claiming the car was an originally L88, just a COPO car that is now running an L88 drivetrain.

Sure BJ is a display of wealth and excess, but I don't see anyone here picketing in front of homes in Beverly Hills or Miami or 5th Ave Manhattan for spending more than the common person. If you work your a$$ off and have done well for yourself, you are welcome to do with your earnings whatever you please in whatever manner you please, last I checked at least.
How is this car a COPO car. there is no option or color on this car that was not available for the 67 model year. A Shriner car was and were 12 or so cars that were ordered with all the same options and colors and was used for parade use. please do some research
Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Barrett-Jackson is a joke,if at some point it was a respectable place to sell a car it isnt anymore and Steve Davis isn't doing anything to help the image of Barrett-Jackson.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 AM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Barrett-Jackson is a joke,if at some point it was a respectable place to sell a car it isnt anymore and Steve Davis isn't doing anything to help the image of Barrett-Jackson.
....but I still like to watch the cars. You almost have to do it with the audio turned down though.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:06 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by d-tailed

stupid foolish person who paid that much for this decidedly non-original molested once a shriner car. And who the hell knows what the seller was claiming, but in the end it sounded like an L-88 shriner car.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 AM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
I'd say that it is obsequious at best.
Obsequious, Jack? Now there's a word that is seldom heard around the Bramlett family dinner table. Well... unless the topic happens to be Shriner and/or COPO Corvettes.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:33 AM
a560156
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrettG
Have heard many an interesting story about LS, who happens to be a local Westchester resident.............
Can't say that I'd be interested in puchasing anything he has for sale....

(hope that was polite enought to not offend anyone especially the C.F. gods)
Brett, you did well.
Agree with you about the purchase aspect. Reputations are interesting things.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:07 AM
d-tailed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
How is this car a COPO car. there is no option or color on this car that was not available for the 67 model year. A Shriner car was and were 12 or so cars that were ordered with all the same options and colors and was used for parade use. please do some research
The car doesn't have to have super unique options to be put thru COPO. All the shriners cars were ordered thru COPO/F&SO. The 67 Shriner cars were white with bright blue interiors. They were ordered without antennas or radios but still had the ignition shielding installed (installed radio suppression system with radio delete) This was so the shriners could have CB radios installed by the dealer so they could communicate while driving, parades, doing drills.

Other than the shriner cars, there were approximately 10 other copo 67's ordered that year, all of which had non RPO color combinations. One of the '67 COPOS was Zora's personal car which he ordered Silver with Red interior, 350hp roadster. There was only 1 accounted for in 68 - I know because I owned it and sold it at Bloomington 2 years ago. The car was looked at by Chuck Berge and Al Grenning had seen the paperwork previously. (it was British Green with Dark Orange interior)

67's on up are the only years able to verify COPO due to having a tank sticker designating it. If you look in the upper right hand corner of a tank sticker, there is a box there labeled "COPO/F&SO". 99.5% of the cars out there will have a blank box. The COPO cars will have an order number typed in. In addition to the order #, there will be hand written corrections on the options that usually start with R/N and a single digit number circled. This the Revision Number confirming the non RPO over-ride done by the line supervisor. If you compare the handwriting to the accounted for COPOs, the handwriting is usually identical showing the line supervisor was the same.

Any more 'research' you'd like to add?

Last edited by d-tailed; 01-18-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

cha ching for d-tailed there.

I have met and talked to LS at various shows around Westchester. The last I saw him he was trying to sell that Austin Powers 67 vert at a show in Mamaroneck.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 01-18-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Its Back.... Shriner COPO with L-88...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Since my car is the next serial numbered car to the last Shriner car and equipped the same I could.......NO, better not do that. Someone might think it's a Shriner car. Dennis
Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Keith@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 208 Likes on 60 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here is the video of the auction. It's a little short as SPEED went to a commercial break and when they came back the Corvette already was already on the block and bidded up to $140,000.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/index...BarrettJackson

Your Internet destination for buying and selling Corvettes.

Read My Corvette Blog
Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

My '64, which I bought from the original owner's son-in-law in December, 1966, was/is a Shriner car from a Patrol in Omaha, Nebraska. VIN is very low, around number 1650.

It was built with 250 hp, Powerglide and Posi, no radio or any other options. Riverside Red, silver seat and door with red dash and carpets and white soft top. Would that interior combo be considered COPO? Only non-Shriner one I've seen so equipped was once owned by Billy Graham. Or maybe he ALSO bought a used Shriner?!?

For the many years of the group's existence, the cars were always convertibles, identical in exterior and interior appearance. Whitewalls and hubcaps, no knock-offs. However, some ordered higher hp engines, radio, power steering, etc. depending on personal preference. Very few Shriners ordered sticks because these cars were used at 3 mph in parades and half-time shows. When the son-in-law received these cars they had perhaps 3,000 miles on them (the group sent their cars by rail to the more distant appearances). The second owner drilled holes in the rear deck, painted and installed the '63 hardtop from the silver/red previous Shriner parked next to "mine" in his garage. At the time of my purchase the '63 had 40,000 miles and the '64 had 16,000. He was asking $2000 for the '63 and $2600 for the '64, which I chose for the hardtop and mileage.

Now the '65 he received a few months later was definitely a COPO, IMO. It was yellow with black interior, 300/PG. It had factory-installed 396-style sidepipes although it and its 12 brothers were built in August or September of 1964, a good six months before big-blocks arrived in showrooms. And it had a vertical, black vinyl snap-in "curtain" between the seats and the luggage area that I've never seen or heard of in another C2 convertible.

This Corvette Patrol placed their annual "fleet priced" order with a dealer in the Omaha, Nebraska area.

Other than the (maybe) COPO interior, my car didn't come with any special equipment like the '65. so I don't think it's particularly special or valuable compared to any other "base" red-haired stepchild '64! Except that I've owned and enjoyed it for 42 years.

Last edited by sub006; 01-18-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Its Back.... Shriner COPO with L-88...