C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Where have all the old C1&2 drag cars gone

Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Glenn O.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a picture of me racing my 1965 corvette at Ark city, Kansas at the nostalgic drag races about a year ago. I was up against a 1967 mustang fast back with a 347 stroker motor. I won the race. The crowd went wild watching these old muscle car warriors racing each other. Sorry the pictures not better but you get the idea. Glenn O.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
snake321
Instructor

Old 01-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Jvmc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the '58 I owned and was raced back in the early and mid '80's (not by me). The car won its' class at the US Nationals in '83, '84 & '85.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had SERIOUS thoughts about selling my '65 and building a 1955 2 door post clone similar to the TLB car. I've also seen them painted orange or blue. Just a car were you focus on the MECHANICAL stuff and not the looks of it.

The pics are small on this page but quite a few:

http://www.dragphotosinc.com/
Old 01-30-2009, 09:29 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Let's not forget this one!

Old 02-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Dude
Here is another one, we purchased the car in 99 from a guy in Key Largo, Fl. He had purchased the car from California, car has a couple of decals from Bakersfield and Pomona. Unknown history otherwise, we bought the car as a rolling chassis. First picture is as we bought it without the drivetrain, second picture is current. Hope to be making it's first pass in many years on 1/31 at Bradenton.

I went with Beach Dude and his father to Bradenton yesterday, where he made his first few check-out passes (short squirts) with the above, unproven car:
while too-busy watching to see how the car reacted & squatted on the launch to take any on-track shots, I did get a few more pictures from the pits & staging lanes

although the carbs aren't correctly dialed-in yet, the converter might-be too-tight, the brakes won't hold the car still above 1800 RPM, the trans was left in 'D' to shift-itself, and with just 3.23 rear-gears, the car ran consistent 1.611 and 1.615 times to 60', 4.4x to 330' under power, coasted to the 1/8-mile mark in 7.0x seconds (at just 70 MPH), and more-importantly, it went down the track as straight-as-a-string
Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Wade Mahaffey
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Great photos of the greatest american cars of our time

Thanks for those photos of the C-1s and C-2s. In my opinion, the C-2 Sting Ray coupe is the greatest car of all time! This is as close as I've been to my dream car, an imitation yes, but leaving room for improvment LOL.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:35 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

That's going to be a LOT of fun when he airs that dude out all the way! I bet a roots blown yellow Midyear gets LOTS of attention too!

JIM
Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 AM
justatoy
Pro

great pics thank you.....
Old 02-02-2009, 06:22 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
Let's not forget this one!

Original owner Astoria Chas was killed in Vietnam. Although a "mere" (L-88?) stocker, the famous "Ko-Motion" car has been restored to like-new condition in the last few years.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I sure hope they didn't *restore* it. The thing was like a time capsule when they found it again. Last time I saw it they hadn't even washed the shoe polish from the back window from the last time out at the track.

I think it was a 427/435 car and they installed an L-88 at the dealer. Had a new frame and lots of other stuff done for a less than 3000 mile car!

I've always loved that car and the story surrounding it just adds to the legend.

JIM
Old 02-02-2009, 08:06 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
Original owner Astoria Chas was killed in Vietnam. Although a "mere" (L-88?) stocker, the famous "Ko-Motion" car has been restored to like-new condition in the last few years.
Kevin Mackay has a great lecture series on youtube.com telling more about that and some other old race Vettes!

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZQyLxz6kk
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVq54...eature=channel
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8hJ2...eature=channel
Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJJrX...e=channel_page
Part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mvt...e=channel_page
Part 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0vK8...e=channel_page
Part 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aei1J...e=channel_page
Part 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnc6-...e=channel_page
Part 9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EPdK...e=channel_page
Part 10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua5eH...e=channel_page
Part 11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmimI...e=channel_page
Part 12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAu2E...e=channel_page
Part 13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTFgF...e=channel_page

I think there's information about the K-O Motion car on Part 6.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

http://www.komotioncorvette.com/
Old 02-02-2009, 12:13 PM
bevette123
Heel & Toe

There are alot of nice cars pictured above. It really brings back memories for me. When I was 15 (1965) my parents rented the upstairs flat in our house to a young married couple. I remember my dad telling me that the husband told him that he wanted to rent one of the garages as well, because he had a special car and he wanted to keep it in a garage. Well, when they moved in (February 1965), he shows up in a '60 Chevy Belair (4 door, automatic). I remember that I was very disappointed, and I told me dad, "Big deal, there is nothing special about that car"... I don't remember his exact response, but it probably was something like..."Get over it and go do your homework"..

Anyway, then sometime later in the month (after we had a dry spell which WNY translates into no snow for a couple of days), I remember coming home from school one day and my Mom told me to get something for her from the garage. So I shuffled out there and to my surprise, sitting in the middle garage was a black on black 1962 Corvette. I couldn't believe my eyes. In the mid-60's in the town I grew up in , NOBODY had Corvettes. It was rare to see one at all unless you were watching the "Dina Shore Show", or the "Route 66" TV shows. I had bragging rights in my neighborhood, and at school, that's for sure. Nobody ELSE had a Corvette sitting in their garage.

Well it turned out that as I got to know Jim and Sally better, I was able to talk Jim into letting me sit in his Vette (in the garage anyway). Then one day I came home and the Vette wasn't there anymore. My parents didn't know anything about it and Jim worked swing shift at he Tonawanda Chevy Plant and also worked part time as a bar tender at a local gin mill, so I never saw much of him. Well during Easter break, Jim knocked on our door one day and he asked me if I wanted to help him work on his Vette, because he had pulled the engine and had it "blue-printed, etc." (I remember thinking back then "whatever that means")and he was going to put it all back together for the upcoming drag racing season. I was thrilled to be able to hang out with Jim (or "Reb" as I came to know him after a while, I will explain later) and help him work on putting the car back together. Reb had a storage garage in town where he had set up a workshop with tools, lifts, etc. In it sat the '62, also there was a '60 Ford with a "Lincoln" motor in it that "wasn't running right now, but it will be soon", he promised (I never saw it running by the way).

Anyway, Reb and I (and I was probably of little help), put the engine back together and got it into the car, but then my vacation was soon over and I didn't see the car again, nor much of Reb either for several more weeks. Then one day in mid April he brought it back "home". Man did it sound good!!! He no longer ran it on the road (legally anyway) after that. He had mounted racing slicks on the rear, he had headers on it with side pipes coming from out the side behind the front wheel well, and when he revved the engine flames would shoot out the side from the pipes. And when he started the car, he had an instant audience handy which included many of my neighborhood friends (and me). He had a local guy paint the words "WILD REBEL" on the front fenders. You see, Reb was originally from West Virginia. When he spoke slowly you could understand him (sort of), but when he got excited and he spoke faster...forget it.

Well the first race was soon after that (I remember it was a Sunday event at Lancaster Raceway - eighth mile track ), and he let me go with him. He had a towbar on the front of the Vette, and he pulled it with the '60 Chevy. He ran B/Stock class that year and he won his class and a trophy. Then later in the Spring, the Lancaster races moved to Thursday nites, and the big race of the week was at Niagara (Sunday....Niagara!!!), which was a quarter mile strip near the Niagara Falls Air Base. He had many wins that year, and many trophies. His main competition came from GTO's as I recall. Reb would get "protested" on occasion and they would tear him down, but he was always "legal". The car would be back together by the next race and he would win again. I remember one grudge race where they brought in a National winning GTO (that was featured in Hot Rod Magazine that summer), and Reb beat him 2 out of 3 runs. After the race, Reb brought home a nice trophy (and some money as well). I remember that Christmas, he gave me that trophy as a gift. I treasured it back then, and I still have it to this day.

Reb's class changed to D/Sport in '67, and I remember he went to the Springnationals in Bristol (?) that year and won there (he was listed in a racing magazine, but I can't remember which one).

He ran the car for several years after that, then with a new family of 2 daughters, he retired from drag racing (probably in 1970) and the car sat in a field behind his house for the longest time. It was no longer black, he had it repainted "Fawn Beige". The last time I spoke to Reb, he had given the car to a son from a previous marriage, and Reb told me that his son had spent "alot of money" restoring it. It might still be in West Virginia somewhere...I only hope it is still around. That car and my experience in hanging out with Jim "Wild Rebel" Acord, will always remain in my memories. That's the main reason I have owned many Corvettes over the years

Last edited by bevette123; 02-02-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Wade Mahaffey
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Great story bevette!

bevette, I am a year or so behind you in age, but what a great time to be a youngster in this world. I'm sure your parents did a good job raising you, but it sounds like you had more than one hero! It sounds like that trophy may go down as one of the best Christmas gifts of all time. I can't help thinking that, you could put a smile on ole Rebs face.....just call and tell him "I still have it to this day!"
Old 02-03-2009, 01:06 PM
bevette123
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey
bevette, I am a year or so behind you in age, but what a great time to be a youngster in this world. I'm sure your parents did a good job raising you, but it sounds like you had more than one hero! It sounds like that trophy may go down as one of the best Christmas gifts of all time. I can't help thinking that, you could put a smile on ole Rebs face.....just call and tell him "I still have it to this day!"
Oh, he knows, Wade. The last time I visited him (he's now about 70), I let him try out my '07 Coupe. He put it thru a workout and all he could say was "Whooie!!!" That's Rebel talk for "Holy Sh*t!!!"
Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 AM
Curvette1
Safety Car

Received 182 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by snake321
Who's got some pics???? This thread is great...

Great photos and links - thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Where have all the old C1&2 drag cars gone

Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a pretty strong running solid axle back in the seventies, although he came up a bit short he ran pretty respectable. Perry was given .10 but Smith cut a pretty good light himself. Maybe a little short on HP but still fun to watch. Wonder where this car ended up?-Jim
Old 03-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Works sometimes-hope it continues to work

Last edited by Jim Dillon; 03-11-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: photobucket was in maintenance
Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM
csheerin
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Here's one and it brand new!!!!

The fastest street-legal car in the world is Rod Saboury's 2,400hp '63 Corvette. The record was set at the Super Chevy Show at Summit Motor Sports Park in Norwalk, Ohio. His ¼-mile time of 6.95 secs @ 210.54 mph was a feat which some in the hot-rod ... Read more and check out the video at Fast 63

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where have all the old C1&2 drag cars gone