C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body lift sling limitations? 67'

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 PM
70/99rdstr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body lift sling limitations? 67'

I am in the process of removing my 67 coupe from the frame. I purchased a body lift kit (sling) from Paragon. Complete interior is still in the car. I'm concerned about the weight, and whether the "kit" will support everything.

Question: Has anyone used this type of pre-fabricated "sling" with the full interior in the car? Obvoiusly, I'm concerned that the sling will not support the coupe with complete interior. The vendor can't (or won't)answer my question.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

I used a similar sling two years ago to re-install my convertible body on the chassis. I still had the doors on, and the only things that were removed were the seats and top. The sling worked great and the whole process only took about 30 minutes. You should be fine!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Used the same kit to remove my 1963 coupe body. No problem at all.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

The biggest fear with the slings is not the slings....its in the ceiling of your garage where its anchored....you do not want this to give way and crash back down to earth...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default 4 post lift and Paragon straps

to lift my '63....no interior in the car

I have 10' ceilings, and knew ahead of time from a previous car that I needed to get the frame off the wheels and on the roller skates.

It has been 2 weeks now and the car is still hanging on the straps on the 4 post lift. I have a jack under the nose to take some of the weight off of it and not place undo stress on the nose joints.

We had to take some of the slack out of the one strap by twisting it up tight but only to one of them.

good luck!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Herb did you use a lift strap kit or are those ratchet straps?

Dave
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Hitch
Herb did you use a lift strap kit or are those ratchet straps?

Dave
Dave, those are the straps that paragon sells, that is where I got mine. The straps have a special end on them, like a "j" that grabs onto the birdcage (you need a solid birdcage to do this in my opinion). I took a chain around the 4 post jack stand and then attached the straps to the chain. One of the two straps had a ratchet strap built into about in the middle. That one can be used to "adjust" the tension between the two of them. I hope that makes sense. If you need more photos, the car is still hanging and I can provide more, just tell me what you need....okie dokie?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If it is a sling like this, go for it. I purchased this one at Corvette Central.
Roy
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 AM
70/99rdstr
Intermediate

Thanks for your replys. Looks like we're lifting!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:06 AM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I made my own lifting straps and lifted my 67 coupe off the frame with the entire interior in tact. The only thing I was concerned about was the doors ,where the straps cross them, buckled in somewhat during the lift. The glass is quite forgiving but I know the difference between bending a little and a severe break is a nanosecond . Take your time watch everything and don't be afraid to stop ,back up, readjust and start again. I'm going to fab up a H member to attach the straps to so there wont be as much pressure on the doors when I drop the body back on the frame. It will be attached to the chain fall and the straps to it , eliminating the squeeze the straps put on the car the first time . Hope this helps Jeff
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 AM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Default Engine Hoist

You can easily use an engine hoist. Just make sure the legs are extended or it can tip over when it gets about 6 inches from the frame. Don't ask me how I know this. First frame off.

If the car has fresh paint, you may want to put some towels in the door jams to protect the paint as the doors get squeezed. Towels between the doors and sling straps are a good idea as well.

I only did it this way once and then had the four straps cut from the center ring and sewn into loops at the ends by an upholstery shop. Just like they do on seat belt webbing. I then had a channel iron frame made that looks like an "H", with a bar for the hook to hold onto in the middle of the "H". I put the "H" sideways above the car and loop the strap ends onto the ends of the "H" legs. There is a plate welded to each end the the "H" legs so the straps cannot slide off the ends.

The straps no longer touch the paint and the body will lift right up with ease. No squeezing the doors with the straps. This works for 63-82 Corvettes.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Lift

I used the standard lift kit sold by the vendors. I had the straps shortened by about 10 to 20 inches. I can't remember exactly. My interior shop sewed them up for me. Made a big difference when using an engine hoist for body lifting. Would still like a double D ring in each of the four straps to lengthen and shorten as needed. Jerry
Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I shortened my straps 20" and have added 18" to the vertical beam and supports on my engine hoist. I can lift a coupe body high enough to get the body off a chassis with emergency spare wheels and sitting on "roller skates". Blue Flame is right. If the legs on your hoist are short, tipping is a real hazard. You can easily add removable extensions.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
CoupeKeeper
Racer

Originally Posted by 66jack
The biggest fear with the slings is not the slings....its in the ceiling of your garage where its anchored....you do not want this to give way and crash back down to earth...
This was my concern as well, I mounted a 4x4 across the apex of four rafters to distribute the weight across multiple rafters and reduce the possibilty of any single rafter structual failure. I put a chain around the 4x4 and hooked up my hoist. My ceiling height is only eight feet, when I pulled the body I used every bit of it.
PLEASE CHECK THE MOUNTING OF YOUR HOIST CONNECTION TO STRUCTURE. It is better to use overkill in this area than to wish you had........

Steve
Old 01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Clarification to my earlier reply . . . I used the sling, with an engine hoist in my standard garage . . . enough clearance for me. Go for it!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:07 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tied the straps in a knot at the top so shorten it and wrapped a chain through it.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:15 AM
bigal883
Advanced

Default 1963 coupe

Originally Posted by 53 Blue Flame Brett
You can easily use an engine hoist. Just make sure the legs are extended or it can tip over when it gets about 6 inches from the frame. Don't ask me how I know this. First frame off.

If the car has fresh paint, you may want to put some towels in the door jams to protect the paint as the doors get squeezed. Towels between the doors and sling straps are a good idea as well.

I only did it this way once and then had the four straps cut from the center ring and sewn into loops at the ends by an upholstery shop. Just like they do on seat belt webbing. I then had a channel iron frame made that looks like an "H", with a bar for the hook to hold onto in the middle of the "H". I put the "H" sideways above the car and loop the strap ends onto the ends of the "H" legs. There is a plate welded to each end the the "H" legs so the straps cannot slide off the ends.

The straps no longer touch the paint and the body will lift right up with ease. No squeezing the doors with the straps. This works for 63-82 Corvettes.
Hi just wondering if you have a pic of this set up. will be dropping the body soon . have 2 ton engine hoist straps and tube steel 2" 65" long. thanks Al

Get notified of new replies

To Body lift sling limitations? 67'

Old 10-07-2017, 03:07 PM
vettjam
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a steel X frame to spread out the straps in order to take the load off the doors.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:16 PM
bigal883
Advanced

Default thanks for the pic

Originally Posted by vettjam

I used a steel X frame to spread out the straps in order to take the load off the doors.
Thank a lot will set up mine close to that.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:16 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Or you can make yourself the "Claw"! I designed it to pick my fully painted body off the dolly and set it back on the chassis, by myself, without touching the paint. Easy peasy. Bill
Attached Images    
The following 3 users liked this post by NightshiftHD:
bigal883 (10-08-2017), VITIV Coupe (10-08-2017), weazvette (12-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Body lift sling limitations? 67'