C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Reproduction tank sticker source?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Reproduction tank sticker source?

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get a reproduction tank sticker. Repo WINDOW stickers are easy, but I'm looking for a tank sticker.

I've got the original off the car (still attached to the gas tank), and I want to put a repo on the new tank before I drop the body back on it.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

There are guys on epay that will print you an aged, yellowed sticker with ANYTHING you want on it...not cheap

I would assume they could also make you a "fresh" copy to match yours
Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray1967
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get a reproduction tank sticker. Repo WINDOW stickers are easy, but I'm looking for a tank sticker.

I've got the original off the car (still attached to the gas tank), and I want to put a repo on the new tank before I drop the body back on it.
here's an idea....just copy the one you have for a wall frame and put either one back in the car and wrap it with the latest playboy centerfold for protection...classy!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:39 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by midyearvette
here's an idea....just copy the one you have for a wall frame and put either one back in the car and wrap it with the latest playboy centerfold for protection...classy!
That's a Good One!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Originally Posted by midyearvette
I can't photocopy it, it won't come off the tank. The guy putting the glue on at day must have had a quota. About 90% of the surface area of the sticker is solid glue. I've tried carefully scraping it away, but the paper is practically bonded to the tank.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:23 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a good photo of it and print it (or have it printed) with good ink and laminate it.

larry
Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Originally Posted by redred65cpe
Take a good photo of it and print it (or have it printed) with good ink and laminate it.

larry
That's a good idea, thanks Larry!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut the tank like the guy did on Barett Jackson last year and replace with a new tank...its 42 years old anyway. Just an idea.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

ok, so why do you want to put a repro tank sticker on your tank when you reinstall it? It can't be seen except for a slight glance from the fuel filler hole, and then only if you pry the rubber aside.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

take a good picture of it to put with the other documentation on the car and than leave it alone on the tank. It's lasted there 42 years already so just leave it or you will destroy it trying to take it off.
Like others already asked, why would you want to put a REPRO tank sticker back on?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
take a good picture of it to put with the other documentation on the car and than leave it alone on the tank. It's lasted there 42 years already so just leave it or you will destroy it trying to take it off.
Like others already asked, why would you want to put a REPRO tank sticker back on?
Com'on Barry... imagine the thrill 50 years from now when the new owner removes the tank only to discover the "original" tank sticker and shares the discovery with our grandchildren on the Corvette FORUM...

Seriously however, I agree with those that suggest making a digital copy, laminating it and attaching that to the top of the tank. Surely no one would confuse that with the "original" sticker and it would certainly last as long as the original did.

I am always amazed how easily and quickly documentation disappears on these cars. I still have the original window sticker of a 1977 Corvette I bought new. When I sold the car 6 years later, the new owner wasn't at all interested in it and felt he would just lose it. I think anytime you can "hide" some documentation in a car, particularly one with a future, you will be doing someone a favor down the road.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Originally Posted by ctjackster
ok, so why do you want to put a repro tank sticker on your tank when you reinstall it? It can't be seen except for a slight glance from the fuel filler hole, and then only if you pry the rubber aside.

That's just what I want to do. If my records are lost or destroyed, it would be nice to have a copy of the tank sticker ON the car.

Last edited by Stingray1967; 02-06-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Adding a re-production tank sticker to a car that has an original one just muddies up the water. JMHO. Adding a reproduction tank sticker to a car that didn't have one is just deception. again JMHO.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:41 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

That's just what I want to do. If my records are lost or destroyed, it would be nice to have a copy of the tank sticker ON the car.
I agree. If you worried about records and damages, take a digital photo of the existing tank sticker. Get it printed and laminated. Roll it into a tube and stick it up under the dash or under the seats somewhere so it's with the car but not on the tank.

Then we can all watch 20 years later when the next owner talks about the factory, laminated build sheet he found under the seat!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by I'maVettehead
Adding a re-production tank sticker to a car that has an original one just muddies up the water. JMHO. Adding a reproduction tank sticker to a car that didn't have one is just deception. again JMHO.
pretty much captures my thoughts too
Old 02-07-2009, 01:17 AM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

I am just getting a mental image of a guy walking into kinkos carrying his big ol stinky and rusty gas tank, dripping a trail of gas behind him, and walking over to one of the color copiers, opening up the lid, and laying the gas tank on the glass of the copier and hitting print!

Now that would make a great you-tube video!

bigredbrad
Old 02-07-2009, 08:30 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by I'maVettehead

Why, why, I am just absolutely appalled at the gall of someone who would attempt this. The nerve!
Old 02-07-2009, 02:42 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

FYI, if you ever think of laminating an ORIGINAL sheet from anything, make sure to copy it first!!!

Had a friend do his 76 TA, and the heat turned it solid BLACK

Get notified of new replies

To Reproduction tank sticker source?

Quick Reply: Reproduction tank sticker source?