C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 Pre-wiring harness check #1: Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 PM
62RDSTR
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 62 Pre-wiring harness check #1: Ignition Switch

Hey Folks,

I'm double checking all of my connections on the existing wiring harness to the anticipated new connections. First issue I've seen is that my current ignition switch does not have all the contacts depicted in several wiring diagrams. See picture below.

The best I can tell it looks like it is missing the 18g pink wire. A couple of questions:

Are the diagrams wrong (not likely) or do I have the wrong ignition switch?

What is the impact of not having the 18g pink?

Which contacts are activated in the lock / off / on / start position?

Should I secure the addition 18g pink wire somewhere or bust down and pay $80 for a darn repro switch?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 AM
62RDSTR
Racer

ttt

Figured this got lost with the amount of posts this forum completes. Wire goes to the flasher on the fuse panel. Would really help if someone could assist.

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-20-2009, 11:37 AM
papawana
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,121 Likes on 321 Posts

the 62 diagram that I have shows 5 wires...brown, violet, and red contained in one plug-in plastic connector...and two pink wires going to seperate connectors
Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
62RDSTR
Racer

Originally Posted by papawana
the 62 diagram that I have shows 5 wires...brown, violet, and red contained in one plug-in plastic connector...and two pink wires going to seperate connectors
Correct. My ignition switch does not have the two separate connectors - only one. This leaves the 18g pink wire without a connector on the ignition switch.

From the different wiring diagrams I have, it looks like this goes to the flasher on the fuse panel. Since i don't have this connector, I'm trying to figure out the impact with the following questions. I'm trying to fully understand the Corvette electrical system but this is something I haven't had to deal with outside of grounds.

Are the diagrams wrong (not likely) or do I have the wrong ignition switch? (pretty sure my ignition switch is wrong)

What is the impact of not having the 18g pink?

Which contacts are activated in the lock / off / on / start position?

Should I secure the addition 18g pink wire somewhere or bust down and pay $80 for a darn repro switch?

Thanks for the response,

Jim
Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

There are 2 pink wires that go to the ignition switch. One goes to the ignition pole and the other to the accessory pole. Use of the accessory position on the switch prevents the burning of the points & coil. If you were to switch the positions of the pink wires the ignition would still work however some accessories (turn signal, wipers) would work in the off position.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:53 PM
62RDSTR
Racer

I appreciate the different responses but I guess I'm not asking correctly.

If you look at the picture, my ignition switch does NOT have the post for the second pink wire. This wire is suppose to go from the ignition switch to the flasher/fuse panel. I don't see this wire any where on my existing wire harness so I'm unaware how my turn signals work.

I have purchased a new wiring harness and it obviously has the correct terminals; however, as you can see from the picture the ignition switch does not.

Does anyone have a switch diagram of what posts are activated in the different switch stages (lock / off / on / start)?

Can I just leave the extra 18g pink wire hanging (OPEN circuit)? Or does it need to be connected?

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to spend $100 on a repro switch or if I can tuck this wire somewhere and forget about it. Like I said, my current setup does not have this so i don't know what has been rigged.

Thanks for the help,
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 62 Pre-wiring harness check #1: Ignition Switch

Quick Reply: 62 Pre-wiring harness check #1: Ignition Switch