C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Smokey Yunick SY1 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
This one has some modifications inside like u are talking about on each side inside of the manifold I bought this off of Flea bay.
could you post a pic of the mods??? i would like to see what is done
Old 03-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mechron
could you post a pic of the mods??? i would like to see what is done
I looked on the internet about this intake. Apparently (or supposeably) had a problem with gas "puddling" on the right side of the intake while steering hard. I guess it was a "fix" or a way to avoid this problem. Build a wall on the runner. Im not the expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Ron sent you and email

Pete

website on a camaro forum

www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94772 - 82k - Cached

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 03-02-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 AM
mechron
Drifting

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
I looked on the internet about this intake. Apparently (or supposeably) had a problem with gas "puddling" on the right side of the intake while steering hard. I guess it was a "fix" or a way to avoid this problem. Build a wall on the runner. Im not the expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Ron sent you and email

Pete

website on a camaro forum

www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94772 - 82k - Cached
pete, the gas will not puddle the intake, what you need to do is run a much smaller carb, like a holley 650 double pumper, you are going to run that SY-1 on a 327, a 650 holley double pumper will be just right for a 327 (do the math on airflow) the 327 only pumps so much air. my 383 will pump much more, so i'm going with a 750 on on my SY-1. your friend with all due respect to him "is all wet"- he is-was over carbed, a common mistake.. if hi had a dime for every over carburated engine , i would be rich.

ask asstodokk, he built a 750 double pumper holley for his 383 build while i built a 650 to replace the 800 on my pantera.

i went with a 650 to negate the HUGE ports of the the BOSS 351 cleveland on my pantera.

i'm a vette guy, but i love all fast cars-no matter who makes them.

later-->
Old 03-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

pete, the gas will not puddle the intake, what you need to do is run a much smaller carb, like a holley 650 double pumper, you are going to run that SY-1 on a 327, a 650 holley double pumper will be just right for a 327 (do the math on airflow) the 327 only pumps so much air. my 383 will pump much more, so i'm going with a 750 on on my SY-1. your friend with all due respect to him "is all wet"- he is-was over carbed, a common mistake.. if hi had a dime for every over carburated engine , i would be rich.

ask asstodokk, he built a 750 double pumper holley for his 383 build while i built a 650 to replace the 800 on my pantera.

i went with a 650 to negate the HUGE ports of the the BOSS 351 cleveland on my pantera.

i'm a vette guy, but i love all fast cars-no matter who makes them.

later-->
Hi Ron

Thanks for the advice I have been wondering what wouls run good with this intake

Im sure I will have more questions
Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
Ron's Smokey Yunick 1 intake manifold:

Ron did you bead blast your intake its looks GREAT
Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 AM
mechron
Drifting

hi pete, yes i bead blasted it. it was kinda funkey looking when it showed up. i also rounded off the sharp edges on that big center rib you see on the bottom part of the manifold. you can see in the pics the gasket between the upper and lower part of the manifold, it is very thick (not like a carb to intake gasket) and is reusable. the holes between the plates take 1/4-20 bolts, i bought grade 8 bolts for the gold color they have. you will see (i think) a SS allen bolt with a little chrome clamp at the back drivers side of the top plate, those will go on the passengers side to clamp down the steel line i fabbed up for the dist. vacuum advance. i got the clips from speedway.if you look close you may even see the nitrous plate, solenoids and the bracket and plunbing i fabbed up (100-200 extra HP is not a bad thing, except for maybe for the drivetrain ) you asked about fitment under the stock hood, it JUST may be possible if you eleminate (cut off) the entire choke housing and run a small air cleaner like shown by a poster with the Z-28 dual quad setup after astrodokk posted my pics (check it out) as i remember you live in florida, so eleminateing the choke should not be an issue. we cut off astrdokk's choke on his holley, so if he doesn't chime in i will call him and see if he will post pics of his modified carb. hope you got my PMs, check on that gasket. also check out the thread dokk posted on my chassis, look at the dist. hight compared to the carb hight, then compare it to your firewall/hood hight. i will cut the choke off that carb pictured on my manifold too, just haven't done it yet... later

PS: i have a special dist. cap on my engine, the plug wires come out sideways instead of out the top like the stock delco caps, so take that into the equasion.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Chiming in!

Here is my Holley 750DP that mechron had a good time chopping off the choke housing on! Since I'm in California, I didn't mind doing that. I believe the 650 cfm going into his Pantera is has also been chopped...I mean modified.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

First thing, EDELBROCK made the SY-1 intake, not OFFY! OFFY has the GM forms for original Z/28 Trans-Am 2X4BBL intake and BOTH intakes are LOUSY intake manifolds compared to modern designs (really BAD fuel distribution, big plenum volumes, lousy torque and low/mid RPM horsepower.) SY-1 takes a special Holley because normal linkage wont clear top of manifold. The picture of the SY-1 with a vacuum secondary carb is a "classic boat anchor" and a Edelbrock Performer will outrun that combination (and get better MPG.) The only good running SY-1 intake I ever observed was done by a cylinder head porter that has forgotten more than I will ever know about motors and it had been EXTENSIVLEY REWORKED with dams and ribs in plenum area to help with fuel distribution. Smokey develped this intake after the 1970 Trans-Am rules limited carburation to one four barrel carb. Edelbrock may still make these intakes from time to time but are probably SORRY that they ever cast them to begin with. I used to own a X-ram 302 Z/28 and bought and sold over a dozen X-ram intakes in the late 1970's early 1980's and my 302 Z/28 went faster at the Drags with the Hi-rise intake versus the X-ram although the X-ram did add 3-4MPH to the trap speed (and bottom end that was soo BAD that you either bogged motor for good ET or lighted up the tires for good MPH through the traps.) The WORST manifold swap I ever did was a "correct" large snowflake X-ram with "correct" dual 1968 spec 4210 Holley X-ram carbs (carbs were COMPLETE P.O.S. parts with only primary accellerator pumps and mechanical secondaries.) We put this POS intake on a 68 Z/28 with 4.56 rear gears and the car was a COMPLETE DOG! If you want to run one for looks, go ahead but don't expect it to be an improvement over a 350HP aluminum intake manifold (even those leave something to be desired when compared to the Z/28 LT-1 intake manifold.) Be prepared to change spark plugs at 1000 mile intervals and get 10MPG while travelling slowly
Old 03-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

If you insist on running the SY-1 I have a 750DP Holley with the correct throttle linkage for a SY-1 yours for $200. Edelbrock used 1/4 Allen bolts for SY-1 intake when they were new. Nitrous is a REALLY BAD idea on this intake with it's fuel distribution problems, you will probably TORCH a cylinder if it is more than a 100HP kit.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:54 AM
mechron
Drifting

dokk, it took you long enough.... i notice you took off the list # i cut out of the choke plate and screwed into one of the choke housing screws--> PUT IT BACK ON!!! it identifies your carb for any future rebuilds. i had to go to batteafs at great expense to get those screws, you know how far away it is. just giving you a hard time dokk.

to blk 63, both i and dokk had vent whistlers in our double pumpers (those are nylon things that are rivited to the metering block at the top and extend into the float bowls. if you have these you can cut the vent tubes in dokks pics down even a little more for hood clearance.

to dokk- when you called i had been soldering little electronic connections on my vintage supertuner-equalizer/ amp combo. i had been like 2 hours into the job and only 8 were done, i looked like this-->. a little later after 16 were done i looked like this-->. but all is cool, my dining room table ( and the whole area looks like an eloctronics repair shop). but i cleaned up the birdsnest of wires and went to a nice modular system with vintage parts. i'll see you tomorrow and we will do the grunt work on your car.

OH, by the way, i got the skinny on heat ranges of the autolite spark plugs from dave, and i bought you the right heat range from dave. see you tomorrow....
Old 03-07-2009, 04:14 AM
mechron
Drifting

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
If you insist on running the SY-1 I have a 750DP Holley with the correct throttle linkage for a SY-1 yours for $200. Edelbrock used 1/4 Allen bolts for SY-1 intake when they were new. Nitrous is a REALLY BAD idea on this intake with it's fuel distribution problems, you will probably TORCH a cylinder if it is more than a 100HP kit.
dude, why are you attacking me, i know (and i know how to tune the SY-1). i think you know nothing about the SY-1--> lets see yours>>>. you have seen mine, lets see yours. how much expience do you have with these manifolds (or any manifolds)
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 AM
mechron
Drifting

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
Here is my Holley 750DP that mechron had a good time chopping off the choke housing on! Since I'm in California, I didn't mind doing that. I believe the 650 cfm going into his Pantera is has also been chopped...I mean modified.

thanks dokk, those are the pics of a well built carb (after all, you built it). blk 63 and DOKK, forget about that LT-1 guy, he knows not what he is talking about. i know holley carbs and the SY-1, he does not.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey mechron,
I know you didn't get that bolt from the government, so it couldn't have been THAT expensive!
I only took it off to plug up that small opening that we saw after the choke housing came off. It's closed up now so that small bolt will go back on...no worries.
By the way, you do have a boat in your collection, don't you?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

dude, why are you attacking me, i know (and i know how to tune the SY-1). i think you know nothing about the SY-1--> lets see yours>>>. you have seen mine, lets see yours. how much expience do you have with these manifolds (or any manifolds)
Sold my SY-1 along with all my X-rams (sadly before they went for over $10K each on Flea Bay.) Putting a vacuum secondary Holley on a SY-1 is mistake #1 Nitrous, you will NEVER recover from dumping a 150HP shot on a SY-1 intake. GUARANTEED to lean a cylinder (#7 is the likley one) and torch a piston. But, the nitrous plate does allow you to run a Holley with incorrect linkage on it, very innovative.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Sold my SY-1 along with all my X-rams (sadly before they went for over $10K each on Flea Bay.) Putting a vacuum secondary Holley on a SY-1 is mistake #1 Nitrous, you will NEVER recover from dumping a 150HP shot on a SY-1 intake. GUARANTEED to lean a cylinder (#7 is the likley one) and torch a piston. But, the nitrous plate does allow you to run a Holley with incorrect linkage on it, very innovative.
W.T.F.?

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 03-08-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:01 AM
mechron
Drifting

hi blk 63-->. i think solid LT1 is talking about the origonal factory Z-28 manifolds, not the aftermarket ones. just for clarifacation, i think LT1 is both right and wrong (no offence LT1)
in my early post i typed in offenhauser, but i was thinking edelbrock (i have an offenhauser X ram on my 60s gasser and it is obviously different)
the carb in my pics is a mock up carb, i WILL be running a double pumper)
you will lose low speed torque due to the giant plenum.
i'm aware of the lean condition on #7 as he states, thus the cross jetting statement in one of my posts. that is why i want to see pics of the mod around the #7 runner on your manifold to see if it makes any sense. by cross jetting i mean running different sized jets in all 4 corners to bring the A/F mixture back in line.

i'm trying to negate the loss of low speed torque by adding inches (383 stroker), i agree with LT1 that this is not the best manifold for the street, modern dual planes will do a much better job, BUT BUT the WOW factor can't be denied! i'm building my whole car for the WOW factor and that manifold fits right in.

solid LT1 (with all due respect) this is where we part ways. i KNOW what i am doing. the precaution in your posts is well deserved, but i have set up more intake carb combos and X rams than you can count, i have been a professional mechanic and racer since the early 70s. the offenhauser X ram on my nistalgia gasser is piriod correct for the 60s. it has 365 horse 327 with the old factory fueley heads that i ported, a cam, headers, the offehauser Xram, 2 485? holley 4 BBLs for a total of 970 CFM and a muncie 4 speed. it runs in the high 10s and traps out consistantly at about 128 MPH. so i KNOW what i am doing.

blk 63, if you are going to run that intake on the street, run a smaller carb to keep the venturi velocity up (it will give you a more atomized, even mixture)
check the spark plugs and jet the 4 corners of the carb until they all look the same, the should all look light tan. who cares or knows what jets will be in all 4 corners??? you are dialing in the carb/manifold combo to work right.

PS: LT1, i have 2 nitrous plates on my gasser offenouser X ram but have never used them. the car is plenty fast for me without them!!! it will put your eyeballs in the back of your head upon launch.
blk 63, that is with a 327, but i launch at 5000 and row through the gears at 7000.

blk 63 and solid LT1...
Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Default Calling Merchon regards to SY1 intake

Hi Ron

I jusr got my manifold in the mail. I have been trying to post pictures (not computer savy enough) of it but no luck can u email me your address so I can send u these pictures..

Thanks
Pete

Get notified of new replies

To Smokey Yunick SY1 Intake

Old 03-10-2009, 02:20 AM
mechron
Drifting

blk 63, PM got, PM sent, PM astrodokk, he will post pics...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:56 AM
bluester
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How good do you think the c3b-x was ? Did you happen to run the same engine with any different 2 plane manifolds where you got a direct A-B comparison ? What engine set up did you run it on ? I picked one up on ebay last fall, am thinking about putting it on my 300 hp / 327 that has a Comp 260 hi energy cam in it
Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Default 1 inch spacer between Holley and SY1 intake

Hello Merchon

I have a 650 holley double pumper and a one inch spacer to put between holley and SY 1 intake. I'm hoping this is a good combo for the engine (327 double hump heads) I hopefully will rebuild soon.

Quick Reply: Smokey Yunick SY1 Intake