C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Shock Absorber Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Shock Absorber Recommendations

I need recommendations for shock absorbers for my 63.

I am looking for best (smoothest) ride quality, without having to sacrifice too much in handling...

Any favorites?

Thanks in advance.

PS I tried to do a search on this subject, but apparently the search function is having issues...

Last edited by kbuhagiar; 03-09-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kbuhagiar
PS I tried to do a search on this subject, but apparently the search function is having issues...
I'm so shocked.

I tend to like Monroe gas shocks, but that's simply because it's what we always used when I was growing up.

My 65 has Bilsteins up front, and specially rated KBY on the rears (with a composite rear spring) but I'm not happy with the ride quality. Probably a combo of spring rates, shocks, etc.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 03-09-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Bilsteins all the way around (heavy duty, not the Sport). I think they are somewhat tight and I may try Monroes in the future.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Ken, a long time ago a buddy sent his Koni's back to be rebuilt and for some odd reason, there was no charge. No idea if they ever had a so-called lifetime guaranty or not but if yours seem to be leaking I'm sure they can be rebuilt. Also, not sure how many actual 'steps' or levels are available but since they are adjustable, have you tried to change the adjustment to a softer level?
Mike T.

Last edited by Vet65te; 03-11-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
uncle427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a great smooth rid that is excellent for these cars with radial tires, use the inexpensive GM delco gas shock, no frills, Can be had sometimes for $106 a set delivered. They even look very similar to originals, they come shiny black, just paint 'em grey!

Unless you are autocrossing or similar, these are the way to go.

Last edited by uncle427; 09-29-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just put a set of KYB's on and I'm very pleased with them. Nice smooth ride,and I still have good handling,and they are silver gray in color. I believe they are called GR2. Shock Warehouse has them on clearance for 122.38

Last edited by 65 vette dude; 03-09-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Mike McCoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto for stock Delcos. They give me a good ride with the F41 leaf spring, and handle great. I've tried several non-original shocks over the years and these seem to work best.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Delcos too bouncy for me

Just installed Bilstein HD's and they smoothed out the ride noticeably.
Not too stiff either. Best price was $280 delivered from the PartsLadi on Ebay.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:44 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle427
If you want a great smooth rid that is excellent for these cars with radial tires, use the inexpensive GM delco gas shock, no frills, I have them on all my cars and have installed them on dozens of others cars that the owners had Konis, Bilstiens, KYB, etc and were not happy with them. Every owner was VERY impessed with the better ride with the delco's and they are still plenty responsive for control! Can be had sometimes for $106 a set delivered. They even look very similar to originals, they come shiny black, just paint 'em grey!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have Bilstein HDs all around in my 65, really like the ride in my vert (had the Bilstein Sports on before, but with the vert it was too much rattles and and such). By the way, I am running an oem equivilant 9 leaf rear spring in my setup.

I drive my car in a spirited fashion, and not just in a straight line.

Painted them that blue-grey shock color, and they look just like the proper deal (otherwise, the Bilstein safety yellow, with the bright blue boots, really stands out!)
Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
I have Bilstein HDs all around in my 65, really like the ride in my vert (had the Bilstein Sports on before, but with the vert it was too much rattles and and such). By the way, I am running an oem equivilant 9 leaf rear spring in my setup.

I drive my car in a spirited fashion, and not just in a straight line.

Painted them that blue-grey shock color, and they look just like the proper deal (otherwise, the Bilstein safety yellow, with the bright blue boots, really stands out!)

Replaced basic Monroe's with Bilstein HD's all around. Noticeable ride difference. Of course, good radial tires help too.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:16 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle427
If you want a great smooth rid that is excellent for these cars with radial tires, use the inexpensive GM delco gas shock, no frills, I have them on all my cars and have installed them on dozens of others cars that the owners had Konis, Bilstiens, KYB, etc and were not happy with them. Every owner was VERY impessed with the better ride with the delco's and they are still plenty responsive for control! Can be had sometimes for $106 a set delivered. They even look very similar to originals, they come shiny black, just paint 'em grey!

I agree totally - I have changed to the Delco gas shocks on three midyears - I think they provide the best ride and eliminate the bounce that you often get with some of the other brands, provided you are running stock suspension.

Bob
Old 03-10-2009, 06:12 PM
uncle427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bilstiens are an excellent shock also, I have one car with them on it, seems comparable to the delcos, just at almost 3 times the cost. It is also std susp as is the others. Only reason I used them as they came new in the box with a project car, so someone else paid for them, otherwise, I would not.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Ken, a long time ago a buddy sent his Koni's back to be rebuilt and for some odd reason, there was no charge. No idea if they ever had a so-called lifetime guaranty or not but if you're seem to be leaking I'm sure they can be rebuilt. Also, not sure how many actual 'steps' or levels are available but since they are adjustable, have you tried to change the adjustment to a softer level?
Mike T.
mike, Koni's are hands down the best. Koni's are the best!! i have run koni's for 35 years, my origonal koni's (35 YO.) still handle like day one. koni offers that warranty(free rebuild) because they know they will not need it. with the koni's i have run, you push the shaft in and engage the valves. there are 3 turns from soft to stiff. you can set them anywhwere. i have run my cars from anywhere from 1 1/2 stiff to 3 turns stiff.

i believe in the stiff shock, big sway bars, and stock spring rate theory- you don't transfer too much weight from corner to corner, the car wan't wallow through corners and brakeing/ accelerating is not upset. you can set-up the koni's to control your car.
there is nothing better, why do you think all F-1 cars run koni's???...

Last edited by mechron; 03-11-2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: more info: PS, i have bilsteins on my C-4, but it is only a C-4.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:04 AM
CabSav
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just but a set of Koni's on my 66 coupe and I'm very happy with them, firm but not stiff, excellent ride.

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Absorber Recommendations

Quick Reply: Shock Absorber Recommendations