C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help with 67 wiper switch/motor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:34 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Need help with 67 wiper switch/motor wiring

I'm getting around to knocking out the last of the "left over" stuff...you know, the things that did not work out after getting the car all back together and did not stop you from driving it. I used a Painless wiring harness and for the most part everything worked out great.......with the exception of the wiper system. Here's the deal....I have a wiring diagram for 67, but I can't really tell which wire goes on which post because I did not have the original harness to determine how they were orientated in the plug. I made up a diagram (see below) as to how I currently have it hooked up. Here is what I am getting for operation...

In the off position (all the way left) I have slow wipers.

In the slow position I have slow wipers.

In the fast position, the wipers turn off and park........

Can someone give me the wire colors (1967) and what post they are assigned to. I really don't want to start swapping around the wires and cooking a perfectly good wiper motor that was done by Dave Hackel.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

R/Jeff

Last edited by 1coolC2; 03-22-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Here's how the circuit works, and which contacts are grounded (through the switch body to the cluster) for each function:

Yellow & light blue grounded = low speed

Light blue only grounded = high speed

Dark blue grounded (push button) = washer pump

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Here's how the circuit works, and which contacts are grounded (through the switch body to the cluster) for each function:

John,
That tells me I have the dark blue and light blue wire reversed on my switch. Do you have a diagram of the wiper motor side?? If not, can you take a look at your 67 and tell me if the two prong plug has the brown wire on top with dark blue on bottom and what is the order of the wires front to back on the three prong flat plug that plugs in on the bottom of the motor .

As always, thanks a million John!!

R/Jeff
Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

It appears that the orientation of the male terminals on your switch are different than the ones on my '66, but I believe the wiper motors are the same so this diagram should help.

Regarding the brown and dark blue wires that go to the washer pump, they can go on either terminal. They are just completing a circuit.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by buns
It appears that the orientation of the male terminals on your switch are different than the ones on my '66, but I believe the wiper motors are the same so this diagram should help.

Regarding the brown and dark blue wires that go to the washer pump, they can go on either terminal. They are just completing a circuit.
Tim,
Thanks for the GREAT diagram!! Will swap my wires around and see what we get....hopefully not smoke!!

R/
Jeff
Old 03-23-2009, 09:32 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Ta - Da..................man, sure works better when you have it wired correctly! To think I managed to wire the entire car including all the fuel injection, AC, power windows, seats and a pile of other goodies and the dang wipers kick my butt

Thanks again JohnZ and Buns

R/
Jeff
Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Tauvette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 wiper switch problem

May I get your help with a similar problem?
I can bench test my 65 wiper motor directly to the battery without the switch and it works fine. When I try to use the switch (I've tried a 67, a 64 plus a 66 Tempest switch) I can only get it to run in High! What the heck am I doing wrong? I find it hard to believe all 3 switches are defective. Please enlighten me. Thanks: *****:
Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tauvette
May I get your help with a similar problem?
I can bench test my 65 wiper motor directly to the battery without the switch and it works fine. When I try to use the switch (I've tried a 67, a 64 plus a 66 Tempest switch) I can only get it to run in High! What the heck am I doing wrong? I find it hard to believe all 3 switches are defective. Please enlighten me. Thanks: *****:
Sounds like your yellow wire is not applying ground to the motor. Ensure the wire is not broken between the switch and the motor. It sounds like the motor is fine if you can ground both spades and get low speed. I would do a continuity check on the yellow wire as a first step.

R/Jeff
Old 08-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Tauvette
4th Gear

Thanks Jeff I'll try it after work tomorrow and let you know. Cheers, *****
Old 09-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Tauvette
4th Gear

Success! Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Jeff,

Now that the wipers are working . . . are you going to drive that gorgeous car in the rain??? NOT!!!

Tom
Old 09-06-2009, 06:00 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
Jeff,

Now that the wipers are working . . . are you going to drive that gorgeous car in the rain??? NOT!!!

Tom
Tom,
Already had to a couple of times. Wipers are not an issue when your to busy trying to keep the water on the OUTSIDE!! That's one of the things I need to relook this winter when I am doing some of the warranty repairs

R/Jeff
Old 10-17-2009, 01:32 PM
jlagarde
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buns

This is a great photo. My 66 motor has a terminal tab right above the 3 tab connector but I don't see it on yours in this photo. You can see it on the 1st post illustration. This tab has 12 volts on it when the 3 wire plug is connected. Does anyone know why that single tab is on mine and not on this one and what it's function may be? The car was rebuilt and I don't know if maybe it's a different year unit.

Thanks

Joe
Old 10-17-2009, 01:48 PM
jlagarde
Pro

Found it!

For whatever reason, there is a tab sticking straight up (very inviting and begging for a connection) that is part of the center (possitive lead) of the 3 wire connector.

Don't know why its there but it's caused some hard head scratching.

Joe
Old 10-18-2009, 05:58 AM
Tauvette
4th Gear

As posted earlier I got my wipers to work with the help of the diagrams and guidance from this site. Thanks again y'all.
Now hears a head banger!
Whenever I start the car the wipers immediately come on high and I have to fiddle with the switch to turn them off?. Sounds like a defective switch to me but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Cures to those used parts on eBay. LOL
Old 02-07-2017, 07:00 PM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by JohnZ

Thank You, You helped me 8 years after posted
Old 02-18-2017, 10:28 PM
Rubc555
Instructor

Hey guys I got a ? I just got this 66 last month and the window washer pump was gone.
I got all the parts to build it back ..
Thing is I'm not sure how the cap with the 3 nipples that the hoses connect to are orientated to the pump.. any photo would help .. I can't find any that show how it suppose
To bolt up for sure...

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with 67 wiper switch/motor wiring

Quick Reply: Need help with 67 wiper switch/motor wiring