C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The news is bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:48 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Not sure how high Bob twists it....but I would assume in the high 6000..bumping 7000 rpm range. He's got a 5000 stall converter..so it does twist some. He's over 6000 rpm when it flashes on the launch I'm sure. It would take 6300 rpm to hit 132 mph in the traps with his 4.11 gears with a stick trans...with a sloppy 5000 converter..he's gotta be close to 6800+ in the lights.

I ran the old team G single plane on my 540 for a few years...the one with the bolt holes above the ports and the shorter angled intake flange. Works pretty decent...my old one is on TShorts 427 if you look at his posts you can see it.

No doubt a single plane simplifies things. The RPM series of intakes are pretty stout and have probably the best A/F division among ports as any dual plane. I think the new Weiand Warriors were able to do a little better, but the Edelbrocks still do pretty well.

You could go to JE, Probe, Diamond etc pistons made from 2618 alloy that will be more forgiving of issues like this. They will deform instead of crack in extreme cases. Maybe lower top ring some to get it away from pocket and get some more strenght while you're at it.

JIM
Old 03-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod

You could go to JE, Probe, Diamond etc pistons made from 2618 alloy that will be more forgiving of issues like this. They will deform instead of crack in extreme cases. Maybe lower top ring some to get it away from pocket and get some more strenght while you're at it.
JIM
Interesting suggestion....... thanks

I was thinking Mahle just because of their name and reputation as well as already being coated.

That ring is right next to the top on the SRP....... I swear that the broken top surface is not even a 1/8" thick....... If I could post a picture I think some folks would be shocked as to the thinness of tops inside their valve reliefs

Before all this happened I had asked Scott (2nd builder) what he thought about fly cutting the SRP pistons for some lift clearance for some more cam and he said...... "not with those SRP pistons, first you need some good ones if your gonna cut on them"

Doug

Quick Reply: The news is bad