C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1961 and gas odor

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Default 1961 and gas odor

I have completely reworked my gas tank area months back including:

1) sending unit
2) vent hose
3) rubber filler neck
4) filler cavity drain hose
5) new gas cap

With a full tank, when I leave my home I have to make a sharp right turn up about a 25 degree incline for 200'-300' before hitting a level road. That's when I get a real sharp raw gas smell...when the tank is down to 3/4 or less no problem. Is this just fuel sloshing through the vent hose or something similar that I just need to learn to live with ?

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-27-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 AM
62RDSTR
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
I have completely reworked my gas tank area months back including:

1) sending unit
2) vent hose
3) rubber filler neck4
4) filler cavity drain hose
5) new gas cap

With a full tank, when I leave my home I have to make a sharp right turn up about a 25 degree incline for 200'-300' before hitting a level road. That's when I get a real sharp raw gas smell...when the tank is down to 3/4 or less no problem. Is this just fuel sloshing through the vent hose or something similar that I just need to learn to live with ?

Have the exact same problem. I did find two weak areas but haven't eliminated the smell. You might want to check:

Gas cap: I purchased a Stant non-vented cap based on JohnZ recommendation. I used some of the glow-in-the-dark leak finder in the gas tank. What I found is that the rubber gasket is paper thin and gas leaks through it. I went to Lowe's and found a thick rubber gasket used for toilets and sanded it down to the right size but only thicker. This has stopped the leak from the gas cap.

I have also had problems with the repro filler neck. If you look closely about 1" from the lip of the filler neck you'll see an area where the lip and the rest of the filler neck is attached. I have found that this leaks like crazy (see below video). I used some jbweld around this area and solved that leak.

Needless to say, it is still horrific smelling when full but goes away when 3/4 - just like yours. You can smell the gas between the driver seat and convertible top area. I'm leaning towards a pin-hole in the tank or just bad design with the rubber filler neck.

You're not alone!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Frank, I've got the same gas odor in my '61 and will shortly being doing all the same fixes like the connector hose from neck to tank, vent hose and connections to the frame line leading to the pump. Haven't gotten the hardtop off the car yet so I don't really know the condition of what's under there yet but when I filled up the tank shortly after buying it in Texas, I noticed the filler neck moving around a lot so suspect either the clamps are loose or the hose is shot.
As far as the right hand turns making it worse, let me ask you something. What is the VIN on your '61? I read that somewhere around VIN #3200 in '61 they went to tanks with baffles to minimize that gas sloshing problem. Unfortunately, mine is VIN #2000.
Mike T.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

A common problem. When the tank is real full (which takes skill in itself) and all the connections are tight,it might just be some sloshing through the vent tube. As is suggested a non-vented cap is a help, but with a really full tank, if the car is in the sun the gas will expand and find someway out.

a 25 degree incline ! I didn't know there were any mountains in FL.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The car's VIN is: 10867S108523 so its a real late '61. Actually there are parts of Central Florida west of Orlando that will surprise you. There are some nice roller-coaster like roads through some significant hills....in fact, the name of one town not far away is "Howey-in-the-hills". I'm not joking...

I'll go back and recheck all my gas tank parts but I'm thinking its just an idiosyncracy of these old cars...
Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Frank - Do you need an oxygen mask at that altitude? I thought the highest point in FL was something like 250'
Old 03-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Frank - Do you need an oxygen mask at that altitude? I thought the highest point in FL was something like 250'
I didn't think Florida had "any" altitude.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well maybe what I think are hills are just the high spots around sink holes.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 PM
mrruffhouser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vapors

I've had the same problem in my '61. I can find no leaks in the tank and sender area. I have felt that the wear caused by the cap being taken off and put back on has caused wear in the incled groves of the filler neck. Just a guess. I try not to fill the tank completely and don't make hard right turns until the gas level is down to 1/2 or below.
Question. How can you use a non-vented gas cap on a '61 non-vented tank?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jims66
I didn't think Florida had "any" altitude.
They dont, the Everglades is sea level and Gators are everywhere, The altitude comes only when you measure the top floors of the Hotels....

As too vapors and gasoline smells the sloshing in the tank just might be the culprit when the tank is topped off..no baffles
Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by mrruffhouser
I've had the same problem in my '61. I can find no leaks in the tank and sender area. I have felt that the wear caused by the cap being taken off and put back on has caused wear in the incled groves of the filler neck. Just a guess. I try not to fill the tank completely and don't make hard right turns until the gas level is down to 1/2 or below.
Question. How can you use a non-vented gas cap on a '61 non-vented tank?
A correct '61 tank is absolutely vented...the vent hose runs from near the sending unit all the way across the tank into the gas filler cavity. Open the flip lid for your gas cap and you should see a small rubber hose in a clamp above the filler tube...see picture...

In fact I think when the tank is full gas is running out this hose into the filler cap area on hard right turns and that is what I smell until the fuel level gets lowered thru driving.
(A NON-vented gas cap is correct for '61 according to JohnZ - I run vented anyway because they are easier to find)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-27-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:57 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
In fact I think when the tank is full gas is running out this hose into the filler cap area on hard right turns and that is what I smell until the fuel level gets lowered thru driving.
(A NON-vented gas cap is correct for '61 according to JohnZ - I run vented anyway because they are easier to find)
Either use a non-vented cap or fill the vent hole with epoxy on a vented one. Also, do you have the drain hose on the nipple to drain any overflow out of the filler area down to the ground? Those two things got rid of my gas smell.
JohnZ wrote a great article on this very subject. If followed correctly, it will solve your problem.

Jim
Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 1snake
Either use a non-vented cap or fill the vent hole with epoxy on a vented one. Also, do you have the drain hose on the nipple to drain any overflow out of the filler area down to the ground? Those two things got rid of my gas smell.
JohnZ wrote a great article on this very subject. If followed correctly, it will solve your problem.

Jim
I'll try filling the vent hole in the gas cap maybe....I took great pains to make sure the filler area overflow hose was properly in place and working about 4 months back (it was completely missing).
Old 03-27-2009, 06:06 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I've got an aftermarket-completely-and-absolutely-incorrect non-vented gas cap on my '62. Fits great. Looks like the modern functionally equivalent gas cap that it is.

Made by CST. Part number 6810. Around $8. Available at your FLAPS. It's readily available because it also fits a bunch of other cars.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
aupaul
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same smell in my 62 AND my 70 Chevy Pickup. Both have the filler neck next to driver side door handle and my window. I have found that I can place something like a latex glove over the gas cap and then put a strong rubber band over that the smell goes away. So I think it is the gas cap. Both have cork gaskets and I think they dry out. I will try to find the cap listed above and give it a try. Thanks...
Old 03-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Default Gas Fumes

Well, I spent quite a bit of time today working on and around the gas tank of my '61. I think I found the source(s) of the gas smell. The large connector hose was basically petrified but still seemed to be well connected...although hard as a rock.

The small vent hose was connected to the tank but the other end that should have terminated in the gas cap area was just hanging loose down around the drivers side of the gas tank so that might have been some of the fume source.
Then I happened to look at the bottom of the locking gas cap and saw this.

So, on my car, it looks like the small vent hose might have been dumping the overflow into the cavity under the tank and the gas cap was also allowing fumes to escape.
Chris, do you happen to know who that company is that sells the non-vented cap...CST?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Chris, do you happen to know who that company is that sells the non-vented cap...CST?[/QUOTE]

Stant 10810 is another non vented replacement fuel cap that will work.
CST is an auto parts company located in Mt Carmel, Ill.

Get notified of new replies

To 1961 and gas odor

Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Then I happened to look at the bottom of the locking gas cap and saw this.

So, on my car, it looks like the small vent hos...
Mike, is that a locking gas cap by chance? It sure looks like the bottom of the locking cap on my 62 (noticing the 2 large phillips screws) which is making me realize I've had a vented cap on my 62 for 25 years.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Jeff, sure is. That cap, when snapped down into place, isn't the most snug fit anyway. It was easy to move it around and slightly rock it back and forth as well. Time to replace it. At least your tank has the baffles so that should help the situation. I know you haven't put many miles on your '62, do you remember any gas smell in the car?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Jeff, sure is. That cap, when snapped down into place, isn't the most snug fit anyway. It was easy to move it around and slightly rock it back and forth as well. Time to replace it. At least your tank has the baffles so that should help the situation. I know you haven't put many miles on your '62, do you remember any gas smell in the car?
I can't remember driving the car with OUT a gas smell. I just figured it was the taco bell in me!

Quick Reply: 1961 and gas odor