C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front wheel well repair

Old 03-27-2009, 12:09 PM
NB141FD
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel well repair

I'm new to the forum but have been looking for a mid-sixties driver for about a year. I think I found a decent 64 coupe with a 350 and 4-spd that looks like it needs mostly cosmetic work. It needs paint, carpet and seats redone along with some small gauge repairs. The thing that bothers me the most is that a previous owner trimmed the front wheel wells. I assume it was done to put larger front tires on the car. The cut-out doesn't extend (see picture) above the horizontal body line. The rear wheel wells are untouched.

Can anyone give me a rough idea on how much repairing the wheel wells would add to the cost of the paint job? Also, is this something I can do? I have novice to moderate mechanical skills but have never worked with fiberglass. I like to think my best attribute is patience. If it is something I can do can you give me a thumb-nail idea of the process?

I'm going to see the car in a couple of days and am trying to arm myself with as much information as possible. I've read the FAQ on checking out a C2 for purchase including rust issues (birdcage, frame etc...). If you have any other tips on evaluating a 64 please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM
count
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

You can buy PM repos for $200-300 each side (it seems this is just under the bonding strip so you should be fine with just the 1 lower panel pc) or go with the handlaid stuff which is $130-150, not the best fit bir corrext but it all depends what you want to do with the car.

I'm replacing my rear qrts for the same reason, guy cut .5" off below the body line.....a real **** off to change the whole fender for just the small lip!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
NB141FD
8th Gear

Thanks for the reply Count. Do you know if I would have to replace the entire "Louver panel" or do they make smaller repair pieces for the upper wheel well where my problems lie? Does anyone know if this repair can be done with the body on the frame? I'm assuming that if there are no smaller repair pieces being made that that the current panel would have to be cut out and the new panel installed with bonding strips, that sound right? Also, if anyone has done this repair to their Vette please chime in, I need all the help I can get. Thanks, Tony
Old 03-27-2009, 03:38 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Looks to me like there are three pieces of fiberglass that have been cut. The lower front, lower rear and the bodning strip.

There is a patch panel made to correct this. Somebody'll come up with the source. I think it's a plus that the top fender panel hasn't been cut.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:02 PM
count
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

Check with corvette image... They have nice splicing pcs.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 PM
NB141FD
8th Gear

Thanks for the tip Count. I couldn't find any 64 parts on their web site but I went ahead and sent for their catalogue. Tony
Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NB141FD
Thanks for the reply Count. Do you know if I would have to replace the entire "Louver panel" or do they make smaller repair pieces for the upper wheel well where my problems lie? Does anyone know if this repair can be done with the body on the frame? I'm assuming that if there are no smaller repair pieces being made that that the current panel would have to be cut out and the new panel installed with bonding strips, that sound right? Also, if anyone has done this repair to their Vette please chime in, I need all the help I can get. Thanks, Tony
I'm in the process of repairing my openings right now.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-are-gone.html
All of the major vendors have repair fiberglass body parts.
ACI fiberglass has these panels as well.
Good luck. I agree, patience is the best attribute to have when working on the body.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 AM
NB141FD
8th Gear

Thanks for the responses everybody. I've been doing some more research and found a 1963-67 WHEEL WELL REPAIR KIT at Corvette Central (second picture below). Looking at the picture of the wheel well in the first photo, is the consensus that this would be sufficient for the repair, or would I need to replace the front park light panel and the side fender panel along with their respective bonding strips? I know it's hard to make a decision from a photo, but any advice or information would be appreciated. By the way, does anyone know of a resource book on making these types of repairs by a novice? Thanks again, Tony

Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Looks like you'd be okay with those patch panels.

The '63 Corvette shop manual has a good write-up and pictures on repairing fiberglass panels.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 PM
highschool67
Drifting

Those repair panels will work fine. Cut the the existing fender area out cleanly and cut new bonding strips from the old material you have just cut out. Your contours will be right on.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:59 PM
NB141FD
8th Gear

Thanks again everybody, really appreciate the information. Tony
Old 03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by NB141FD
Thanks again everybody, really appreciate the information. Tony
Tony,

I find the fiberglass a lot easier to work with than metal, I can't do metal cars, but I have no problem with the fiberglass. But, it's really messy, and can be itchy and the fine fibers can get into your lungs when sanding after it's cured.

My advice would be to get someone to assist you with your first repair job if at all possible. He can show you how to work the glass with a "cheese grater" when the consistency is right. Much easier to see and learn than to try and explain. He'll also know a lot of other tricks to help make the job a lot easier!!

Once you've done it, the next time will be much easier for a fact!!

Ron
Old 03-28-2009, 05:00 PM
NB141FD
8th Gear

Thanks Ron, I'll keep that in mind. Tony
Old 03-29-2009, 04:16 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Corvette Body Repair Guide 1963 to 1967

Handy little books...about $33 or so each, two volumes.

You can order here....

http://www.glas-ra.com/v1_2.html

I hope that helps...

regards, Herb

Last edited by firstgear; 03-29-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:26 PM
highschool67
Drifting

Originally Posted by firstgear
Handy little books...about $33 or so each, two volumes.

You can order here....

http://www.glas-ra.com/v1_2.html

I hope that helps...

regards, Herb
Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 PM
NB141FD
8th Gear

Thanks guys, those look like great resource guides. Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Front wheel well repair

Search this Thread