C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

T3 lookalike halogen headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Out of curiousity, what is wrong with the Hella lights and what/when are they supposed to do to make them work well?

Thanks,
Doug
The Hella lights are really good, it is the sealed beam Halogens that are not so great. You can get the Hellas at :

http://www.rallylights.com/SearchRes...CategoryID=366

You really only need the hi-lo lamp, I can't even remember the last time I used the high lamps on my car in the last 15 years.. there is always oncoming traffic here..
Old 03-30-2009, 02:07 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 67sunfireyellow
I bought a set of these and I’m very happy with them. They are new, improved and the closest you can get to the original T-3 headlamp look. They look like the original, but I’m sure there are experts that can spot the minor difference, but I don’t care. Over the many years and previous owners I had 3 different makes of headlamps on my car when I bought it 14 years ago, GE, Wagner and Philips. So I decided to buy a matched set that looked as close as original as possible that I could use safely and reliably at night. These work great!
Those are the T-3 reproductions marketed by Lectric Limited, and manufactured by Wagner Electric; I have them on my car too, and they work fine at night.

Remember that there are at least NINE in-line connectors between the headlight switch and the lamps (12V feed to the switch, switch internal terminals, switch external terminal to dimmer switch wire, dimmer switch wire to dimmer switch terminal, internal dimmer switch terminals, dimmer switch output terminal, output wire male/female connectors in the bulkhead connector, forward lamp harness connector to headlamp bucket harness, and bucket harness connectors to the lamp terminals). The front harness ground at the radiator support is just one more potential voltage drop location.

Doesn't take much aging/corrosion at NINE connections between the switch and the lamps (plus a questionable ground) to create a lot of voltage drop in the circuit; cleaning them can make a BIG difference in lamp brightness.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:38 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I just parted out a 69 Catalina that had all four dated original T3 lamps... but one low beam was cracked :-( I have 3 now though, if I can find a decent low beam.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,942 Likes on 4,781 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I just parted out a 69 Catalina that had all four dated original T3 lamps... but one low beam was cracked :-( I have 3 now though, if I can find a decent low beam.
69 GM cars have lined T3 which are much more plentifully then the early ones. But why bring a nine year old thread to tell us that
Old 05-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sylvania Halogen 5001 and 5006 bulbs will work fine, are plug and play and draw about the same current draw as T3s did but tons brighter....no need to cut up your headlight buckets, beef up circuits or change wiring.

T3s aren't generic -- there are lots of variants so chasing down repros that are correct for your car might not be possible - I don't know. I have two sets of original T3s for '63 that have clear silicone all around the electrical connectors so they might actually work for a while after being turned on - you never know...
Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Should be easy to find, 68-71 had the "lined" T3 logo as Nowhere man mentions.

Brought up the topic because I initially planned to get repros but have heard that the current repros look "milky" compared to originals, so was curious if I need to track down another original or two!

Looks like they're about $60 on eBay for a used original or a repro, but that's pretty steep!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
T3s aren't generic -- there are lots of variants so chasing down repros that are correct for your car might not be possible
Buying reproduction bulbs is about as easy as it gets........

https://www.zip-corvette.com/60-67-t...-bulb-set.html
Old 05-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Brought up the topic because I initially planned to get repros but have heard that the current repros look "milky" compared to originals, so was curious if I need to track down another original or two!
I have a total of six original T3 bulbs.
The high beams are very easy to find, the low beams are much more difficult.

Driving at night with the originals is like using two kerosene lanterns.
They are sitting on a shelf in my garage.

I simply installed repro T3 bulbs for daily use.
They are as bright as modern bulbs with no milky appearance.
They look exactly like the originals, except that there is a little tiny "DOT" cast into the glass.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
Buying reproduction bulbs is about as easy as it gets........

https://www.zip-corvette.com/60-67-t...-bulb-set.html
I was speaking more broadly Rich; e.g. 53-72 selection...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-02-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:03 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I was speaking more broadly Rich; e.g. 53-72 selection...
Frankie, I am curious to know if the halogen bulbs that you are using (Sylvania) have the typical blueish light or are they more of a white to natural headlight cast? I don't want to put a halogen light bulb in and have that cheesy blue cast that many of them project. Thanks.
Garry
Old 05-04-2018, 05:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

My halogens are white as can be, I see no bluish anything in the beams, not from the cockpit nor standing in front....

I'll be switching them out for the new "plug and play" LED headlights when they arrive though...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-04-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:57 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My halogens are white as can be, I see no bluish anything in the beams, not from the cockpit nor standing in front....

I'll be switching them out for the new "plug and play" LED headlights when they arrive though...
Thanks. Are the LED's the ones you mention in another thread? A little pricey considering I rarely drive after sundown, but worth taking a closer look. Thanks for the intel.
Garry
Old 05-04-2018, 08:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Panama 58
Thanks. Are the LED's the ones you mention in another thread? A little pricey considering I rarely drive after sundown, but worth taking a closer look. Thanks for the intel.
Garry
Yes. those are the ones... I don't drive a ton in the dark anymore but some of our later car shows in rural areas can make getting home a challenge - and my night vision is bad and worsening
Old 05-04-2018, 10:33 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

I definitely wouldn't recommend night driving at high speed with T3s. I did enough of that in the 80s!

Just looking for a good set of T3s that will look good at Pebble Beach and be legal. If I were doing any night driving, I'd do an HID or LED conversion.... these are the ones in my GMC but they're a tad too blue (it's a blue truck).
Attached Images  

Last edited by davepl; 05-04-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: T3 lookalike halogen headlights??