C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

T3 lookalike halogen headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:40 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default T3 lookalike halogen headlights??

Did I read here sometime ago that someone makes a halogen headlight repalcementthat looks like a T3 headlight? Or did I dream that?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Got lows and highs at Nappa or VIP

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Did I read here sometime ago that someone makes a halogen headlight repalcementthat looks like a T3 headlight? Or did I dream that?

Thanks,
Doug
You can go to most auto parts stores and get a set of 5 or 6 inch headlights, I don't remember our size in Halogen. It is a sealed beam, not the ones that you put the element in

Jack
Old 03-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
You can go to most auto parts stores and get a set of 5 or 6 inch headlights, I don't remember our size in Halogen. It is a sealed beam, not the ones that you put the element in

Jack
. . . that's what I'm running in my '66. But they won't say "t3" on the light, and certainly won't fool anybody who's looking for original.

But, they work fine!!

Old 03-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Yes you actually can see at night at 100 mph

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
. . . that's what I'm running in my '66. But they won't say "t3" on the light, and certainly won't fool anybody who's looking for original.

But, they work fine!!

The original are fine for judging but at speed at night , they just don't see far enough ahead. Modern lights are much safer. That is of course if you can get your headlight motors to work. I don't know how many times I have had to spin that little wheel on the motor to drive at night.

Jack
Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jackfit
The original are fine for judging but at speed at night , they just don't see far enough ahead. Modern lights are much safer. That is of course if you can get your headlight motors to work. I don't know how many times I have had to spin that little wheel on the motor to drive at night.

Jack
That's why I'm running them, much brighter. One thing I haven't checked though is the amperage draw of the halogen vs the original headlamps.

When I replaced my dash wiring harness recently, the only issue I saw with the old one was that the 12v wire to the dimmer switch had been hot at the connection. Not sure if that was due to the current draw, or a weak connection. And, on these old cars, the entire current for the headlamps passes through the headlamp switch and the dimmer switch, unlike the recent models. That's assuming you're using the original wiring and haven't installed relays for the headlamps.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default New harness and dimmer switch

That's why I'm running them, much brighter. One thing I haven't checked though is the amperage draw of the halogen vs the original headlamps.

When I replaced my dash wiring harness recently, the only issue I saw with the old one was that the 12v wire to the dimmer switch had been hot at the connection. Not sure if that was due to the current draw, or a weak connection. And, on these old cars, the entire current for the headlamps passes through the headlamp switch and the dimmer switch, unlike the recent models. That's assuming you're using the original wiring and haven't installed relays for the headlamps.

I ran the new lights with old harness and no apparent problems, I assume the car is happier with new harness and new dimmer switch. Had motors rebuilt by D & M and they work great.

No relays

The amp gauge seems to be happy even with lights on. I wish my oil pressure problem was as easy to solve.

Jack,

Last edited by Jackfit; 03-28-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling and no pants on
Old 03-28-2009, 09:35 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw these a while back on eBay, "modern / correct T3 bulbs", item #s: 110358025927 for 2-bulb sets, and 110360279299 for 4-bulb sets. I have no idea how good they are, just passing along the info.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are the one the vendors sell. I believe they are brighter than original, but still more yelowish and not the the bright white/blue that a halogen will give. I upgraded my low beams to a modern lamp and put halogens on the high beams. Cost me like $22. My 3 good original T3's are on the shelf. Interestingly the remaining failed one was not an original T3.

Originally Posted by darguy
I saw these a while back on eBay, "modern / correct T3 bulbs", item #s: 110358025927 for 2-bulb sets, and 110360279299 for 4-bulb sets. I have no idea how good they are, just passing along the info.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:48 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

I have looked at the ebay ad before and was thinking of pulling the trigger but was hoping to know if anyone had used. The ad http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem= states the following:
60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 Chevelle Corvette Impala, Firebird, GTO, 442 - Guide T-3 Headlight Bulb Set.
Brand New - Beautiful OEM / Modern / Correct T-3 Headlight Bulbs:
Brand new reproduction sets
Produced using original factory blueprints
Correct! Having the original T-3 and GUIDE insignia
Improved for better brightness and longer life
Officially Licensed
Made by an OEM manufacturer in the U.S.A.
Available for many GM makes/models - see below
Sold in complete sets only (2 or 4 bulb sets)
Great care was taken to improve the photometrics and candlepower of these bulbs in order to meet the current Federal Highway Safety Standards, without compromising the original lens prescription.

Our 1960-67 bulbs will fit, and be exactly correct for all 1960-1967 GM vehicles with the 4 headlight bulb system using 5-3/4" bulbs.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug

A lot of guys at the pavillions are using the repro lights and they look good but can be told apart from the originals according to my fanatic originality friend Bob. Too bad this post is about a year too late. I took the T3 lights out of my car and replaced them with Halogens so I could use my car at night and gave the old lights away to someone who wanted them .. I will be removing the crappy sealed beam halogens and replacing them with a set of Hella lights with seperate bulbs soon as they really work well. It is a little tiresome driving down the road like Diogenes for sure...If you go to the Pavillions tomorrow there is a Pontiac, Buick and Oldsmobile show over there that is pretty cool. My friend Rich has a perfect 67 GTO convertible, blue with a white interior and he has repro T3's if you want to see them..

Ebay is the place to get them..
Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 AM
67sunfireyellow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
I have looked at the ebay ad before and was thinking of pulling the trigger but was hoping to know if anyone had used. The ad http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem= states the following:
60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 Chevelle Corvette Impala, Firebird, GTO, 442 - Guide T-3 Headlight Bulb Set.
Brand New - Beautiful OEM / Modern / Correct T-3 Headlight Bulbs:
Brand new reproduction sets
Produced using original factory blueprints
Correct! Having the original T-3 and GUIDE insignia
Improved for better brightness and longer life
Officially Licensed
Made by an OEM manufacturer in the U.S.A.
Available for many GM makes/models - see below
Sold in complete sets only (2 or 4 bulb sets)
Great care was taken to improve the photometrics and candlepower of these bulbs in order to meet the current Federal Highway Safety Standards, without compromising the original lens prescription.

Our 1960-67 bulbs will fit, and be exactly correct for all 1960-1967 GM vehicles with the 4 headlight bulb system using 5-3/4" bulbs.
I bought a set of these and I’m very happy with them. They are new, improved and the closest you can get to the original T-3 headlamp look. They look like the original, but I’m sure there are experts that can spot the minor difference, but I don’t care. Over the many years and previous owners I had 3 different makes of headlamps on my car when I bought it 14 years ago, GE, Wagner and Philips. So I decided to buy a matched set that looked as close as original as possible that I could use safely and reliably at night. These work great!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Pacecarjeff
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks - glad you like them.
I run these t3 repro lamps in all my cars.
They are brighter then original, and you know they are going to keep working.

Used to run originals only - but they would always fail at the worst time.

There is a very small "dot" mark on the 4 lamp sets - the two bulb sets do not have that marking.

They look as close to originals as you can get.
And even without the "dot" mark - the judges would still be able to tell, cause the color of the light is whiter -the old ones gave off a yellow hue.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed Halogen replacement lights in my Coupe several years ago. They definitely make a difference at night. However if you drive several hours with the lights on (especially high beams) your stock wiring WILL get very hot along with the headlight switch (it will get almost to hot to touch). I found it to be the same with my original wiring and new wiring after I did my body-off project. This winter I installed relays in both headlight circuits and the heat problem is solved. Another benefit is full voltage at the headlights.
Roy
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
I installed Halogen replacement lights in my Coupe several years ago. They definitely make a difference at night. However if you drive several hours with the lights on (especially high beams) your stock wiring WILL get very hot along with the headlight switch (it will get almost to hot to touch). I found it to be the same with my original wiring and new wiring after I did my body-off project. This winter I installed relays in both headlight circuits and the heat problem is solved. Another benefit is full voltage at the headlights.
Roy
Goes back to my original post, still haven't heard anyone who should know give the amperage draw of replacement halogens vs the original t3's. I'd also like to know the difference in amp draw of the original vs replacement T3's being sold and mentioned in the prior posts.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tintin
Doug

I will be removing the crappy sealed beam halogens and replacing them with a set of Hella lights with seperate bulbs soon as they really work well. It is a little tiresome driving down the road like Diogenes for sure...
Out of curiousity, what is wrong with the Hella lights and what/when are they supposed to do to make them work well?

I already have new repop T3's (Paragon, perhaps 2-3 years ago) which are OK, epecially with the relay circuits added.

Just looking for something brighter, that looks original, or as original as possible, if available; if not available, then I will simply do without the original headlight look.

I made a relay harness set that installs under the front panel and connects into the factory wring harness with no cutting or splicing, the relay harness can be removed and the stock headlamp harness plugged into the stock main wiring harness if so desired, in about 10 minutes.

A 10 gauge power wire feeds the relays direct from the battery/alternator.

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 03-29-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Out of curiousity, what is wrong with the Hella lights and what/when are they supposed to do to make them work well?

I already have new repop T3's (Paragon, perhaps 2-3 years ago) which are OK, epecially with the relay circuits added.

Just looking for something brighter, that looks original, or as original as possible, if available; if not available, then I will simply do without the original headlight look.

I made a relay harness set that installs under the front panel and connects into the factory wring harness with no cutting or splicing, the relay harness can be removed and the stock headlamp harness plugged into the stock main wiring harness if so desired, in about 10 minutes.

A 10 gauge power wire feeds the relays direct from the battery/alternator.

Thanks,
Doug
Doug,

You have a little more info on your relay set, where it plugs in, wiring schematic, which relays you used, etc.???

Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Doug,

You have a little more info on your relay set, where it plugs in, wiring schematic, which relays you used, etc.???

I didn't keep a copy of the schematic, that I can find, anyway.

It simply plugs into the existing wiring harness, you unplug teh existing headlight pigtails from the connects are install this right there, relay activation comes from the main harness vis teh headligth switch, the relay sends power to the headlights.

I bought the relays and sockets online, someone here suggested a vendor. Std Bosch 15 or 20 amp SPST 5 pin relay.

You need one relay for the low beams and one relay for the highbeams.

I did also add an extra 12 gauge ground wire that connects to the frame near the radiator as part the new harness.

It isn't too hard to figure out a schematic, look at the relay info and make sure you connect to the right pins, and make sure you use different colored wire!

I used black for ground, green to connect to the green HB wires, and something else to connect to the tan LB wires, as I didn't have tan wire.

10 ga red was the main power supply wire to both relays. The ground wire, of courrse needs a node where the existing ground wires and relay coil grounds all connect.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To T3 lookalike halogen headlights??

Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Thanks Doug,

That should be enough information if I decide to pursue that course of action!!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks Doug,

That should be enough information if I decide to pursue that course of action!!

Ron: If you decide to install relays, you can get the kits with complete instructions at Mad Electrical. They have a writeup about full power to the headlights here. I did the same before and after test on my car with the same results.
Roy
Old 03-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
Ron: If you decide to install relays, you can get the kits with complete instructions at Mad Electrical. They have a writeup about full power to the headlights here. I did the same before and after test on my car with the same results.
Roy
Thanks Roy!

Quick Reply: T3 lookalike halogen headlights??