C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Interesting members thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Default Interesting members thoughts

I was wondering what the percentage of NCRS guys are on this forum and why. I like this forum because you can express yourself more freely then on the NCRS forum .I like reading about mods but I'm mostly into originality concerning parts. I post often there on C1's and some here. I'm into original and modified Corvettes and was just thinking about the both.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Not me, maybe you should organize it as a poll.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I think it's great that there is something for everybody.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I thought the closing of the NCRS Discussion Board to only members was the worse possible step they could do.

NCRS is already viewed as snooty and arrogant by many and this closing to the public made it seem even more an exclusive club. (BTW, exclusive means "to exclude", not make you special. I don't consider that desirable.)

I haven't been back there since.

I have several friends there, but for an organization whose mission statement was to preserve the history of Corvettes, they sure shut the doors on a lot of people. It wasn't information they were after but membership numbers.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

I am a NCRS member. I mainly belong because I appeciate and admire the hard work and dedication that the NCRS goes through to keep the original spirit of the Corvettes alive and true. It's great for technical information and to get a better idea of how your car was originally built, I use them as a great baseline for restoration. However....I drive my car quite a bit and I believe that driving these cars was the original intent. So I will put on more modern gas charged shocks and heat and sound barriers and use it, knowing that I can always rebuild what is damaged. I have seen NCRS guys take their incerdible drivers that they enjoyed so much, do a frame-off correct resto and delegate the rest of that perfect car's life to the floor of a show and therefore, the top of a trailer. I think that I'll go take my incorrect car out for a ride. And beat the hell out of it !
Old 03-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I joined NCRS for a year and then dropped the membership....just didn't see big benefits if you aren't a numbers/originality zealot....

I want my '61 to look, feel, smell and run like a '61 did after the original owner had it for 6 months...and like you used to see on the street.

I don't really care if it has every tag, chalk mark, correct shade of semi-flat black in places, etc.. that it had when it rolled off the assembly line.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-29-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:03 PM
SMOKINGJOE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
I am a NCRS member. I mainly belong because I appeciate and admire the hard work and dedication that the NCRS goes through to keep the original spirit of the Corvettes alive and true. It's great for technical information and to get a better idea of how your car was originally built, I use them as a great baseline for restoration. However....I drive my car quite a bit and I believe that driving these cars was the original intent. So I will put on more modern gas charged shocks and heat and sound barriers and use it, knowing that I can always rebuild what is damaged. I have seen NCRS guys take their incerdible drivers that they enjoyed so much, do a frame-off correct resto and delegate the rest of that perfect car's life to the floor of a show and therefore, the top of a trailer. I think that I'll go take my incorrect car out for a ride. And beat the hell out of it !

Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I've been a member for quite a while. I've owned Corvettes for 38 years but always find there are answers to questions I don't have. The collective knowledge in the NCRS is impressive. Members are always willing to help and share info.

Never had a car judged nor am I planning on it. I like original cars but don't mind a few changes that are subtle, to incorporate newer technology that enhances the driving. There are alot of members not into the judging but are into the driving.

Driving is where I get the most pleasure. I enjoy this forum alot but also participate in the NCRS Discussion board. It is a little cliquey but it's my fault for not getting more involved in events.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Dave K.
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been an NCRS member since virtually it's beginning. I was at the very first meet they had. Why am I here? I like Corvettes. I will admit, I do generally gravitate around originality. But, there is a time in the cars life that so many things happened to it, that it is darn right silly to bring it back to the way it left the factory. Besides, I still like the sounds of headers and the use of a Hurst shifter.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I have been a Corvette enthusiast since 1956 and a "watcher" back to 1953. The first Corvette I could afford, a '65 model, I bought in 1972. I still have it. It's original as can be on most counts. I've had a '64 and a '77 also. Still have a '63 also I bought five years ago. I like original/original looking/era correct.

I don't need the NCRS organization to give me a fuzzy feeling but I enjoy fraternizing with many of it's members. Not because they're members, because they're good people.

I also agree with Proc' Racing. They closed their board to members only. Their loss, not mine. In my book, just being snooty. I mean, it says when you open up the board that they're basically doing you a favor with a thrity day trial. I used to read and contribute almost daily. Now, I hardly ever go there and look in and don't miss it a bit.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Brucets11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too, joined NCRS for a year and didn't renew. My '66 is pretty nice but no where near their standards. But I bought mine to drive.

I found myself thinking I should change this or correct that to make the car more original. I didn't want to get into that trap.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:52 PM
lspencer534
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I'm an NCRS member. My daily routine when I get home is to visit the NCRS technical discussion board, then CF C-2 discussion, then CFOT, and then eBay for C-2 parts.

I think that NCRS and CF serve basically the same purpose but go about it in different ways. NCRS is more 'by the book' while CF has a bigger tent, so to speak. I try to avoid using the word 'intolerant', but CF is more tolerant of 'stupid' questions, mods to cars, and newcomers. I have seen all too often on NCRS the response "been discussed many times before, check the archives". That's not very courteous to a newcomer or to someone who really needs the information.

I know that CF is more fun. Not criticizing NCRS, because I've learned a wealth of information there and having a knowledgeable member volunteer to inspect a car is priceless. One of its very respected experts drove an hour to inspect a 67 Corvette, prepared a report, and sent many pictures, all for $100. He saved me many headaches (and dollars) had I bought that car.

I don't know what NCRS is going to do with me when it finds out what I'm getting ready to do. I'm awaiting delivery of a very rare 67 that has Top Flighted three times. I'm going to drive it!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:31 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

Been an NCRS member since I bought this vette 2 years ago. My feeling is I need all the help I can get sometimes. I also enjoy the magazine. That being said I have no intention of ever doing a car for judging. I appreciate the work, time, effort and money that the guys who are into that go through but it's just not my cup of tea.

Joe
Old 03-29-2009, 05:32 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Ive been an NCRS for quite some time. I find NCRS to be a tremendous source of information. Even if my cars aren't quite Top Flight, the ability to get as much stuff as possible correct makes the cars better.

I had a custom past, and I can appreciate certain modifications these days. It just doesnt interest me for my cars now. The tacky stuff is unfortunate.

Ive always driven my cars. My association with NCRS has nothing to do with whether my cars are driven. This site is much more like hanging out at a cruise-in parking lot with your buddies as opposed to the NCRS world. Both have value.

My problem here is, while people have valid points about some shortcoming of NCRS and some members, the general pervasive anti-NCRS vibe you get here quite often is just as bad as some of the behavior non-NCRS people accuse NCRS members of having.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:34 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by narlee
I think it's great that there is something for everybody.

100%
Old 03-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Both CF and NCRS have their value. Both have shortcomings. But generally, you can discuss anything here and there is even an off topic area for discussing literally anything that comes out of one's head, from either end.

On the NCRS Tech Discussion Board, you have to toe the line. There is a definite hierarchy of who is important and who isn't and if you upset those above, they shut you down. In that case, you are usually never welcome to return.

Generally, you have the masses blow you off here, unless you get to far off and then a moderator shuts your thread down. If you really do bad, you go to band camp for awhile.

NCRS is basically intolerant. Part of that is the nature and purpose of their organization, so it is to be expected. Like going to a Baptist church and wondering why they don't have Saturday night dances for the teens in the basement. Or wondering why the Catholics don't tell unmarried pregnant teens that abortion is another option.

It doesn't fit, you know the rules going in, and so you have to abide.

Here, the rules are a bit wider. They are for Corvettes here, not restored or surviving original Corvettes only. That automatically opens them to a wider audience. Now a few of the "creations" people have displayed here have surprised me that there wasn't a massive increase in NCRS membership as a result, but still, that is what CF is about - anything Corvettes.

Also, most of those with attitudes don't last long here. On the NCRS TDB, often the attitudes are the ones in the hierarchy.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:02 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I belong to the Corvette Fourm, NCRS, Corvette Action Center, and of course, I'm in www.Vetteheads.com

Don

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting members thoughts

Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 PM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 177 Likes on 70 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

I have belonged to NCRS for almost 30 years, as well as NCCC, SCCA, AACA and other car clubs. Many of us also belong to various types of forums also. I enjoy the purist side of NCRS, the Competition side of SCCA and also the part of the hobby that enjoys modifying our Corvettes.
There is room for all forms of enthusiasm in our hobby.

Enjoy...Dave
Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Ive been an NCRS for quite some time. I find NCRS to be a tremendous source of information. Even if my cars aren't quite Top Flight, the ability to get as much stuff as possible correct makes the cars better.

I had a custom past, and I can appreciate certain modifications these days. It just doesnt interest me for my cars now. The tacky stuff is unfortunate.

Ive always driven my cars. My association with NCRS has nothing to do with whether my cars are driven. This site is much more like hanging out at a cruise-in parking lot with your buddies as opposed to the NCRS world. Both have value.

My problem here is, while people have valid points about some shortcoming of NCRS and some members, the general pervasive anti-NCRS vibe you get here quite often is just as bad as some of the behavior non-NCRS people accuse NCRS members of having.
You make some good points. I too belong to NCRS but only for the information. I like my car to look somewhat original but certainly will entertain upgrades like LED tail and turnsignal lights, a different color and fabric top and anything else (including headers) that will improve the car without changing it basic intent and feel. I drive mine as much as I can and while I can't say that it has not been trailered to a long distance event (wife has had back surgery) I do enjoy driving the heck out of it. The personal satisfaction of driving a reliable fifty year old car is second to none.

Regards,

Fred
Old 03-29-2009, 07:29 PM
stall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I have been a Corvette enthusiast since 1956 and a "watcher" back to 1953. The first Corvette I could afford, a '65 model, I bought in 1972. I still have it. It's original as can be on most counts. I've had a '64 and a '77 also. Still have a '63 also I bought five years ago. I like original/original looking/era correct.

I don't need the NCRS organization to give me a fuzzy feeling but I enjoy fraternizing with many of it's members. Not because they're members, because they're good people.

I also agree with Proc' Racing. They closed their board to members only. Their loss, not mine. In my book, just being snooty. I mean, it says when you open up the board that they're basically doing you a favor with a thrity day trial. I used to read and contribute almost daily. Now, I hardly ever go there and look in and don't miss it a bit.
Closing their forum was simply another elitest move to keep the masses away; after all maybe a car guy w/o a perfect Corvette might stumble into the sacred grotto. I do have to say that I've met some nice people at the Old Town meet but the heirarchy strikes me as far out of touch IMHO

Last edited by stall; 03-29-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Interesting members thoughts