C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with 65 Power Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 AM
mmaliszewski
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with 65 Power Steering Box

Hello Everyone,

I just removed my PS Box to clean and detail it. While it was sitting on my workbench I noticed that it was leaking fluid from the side where the coupler would bolt onto the shaft. I have tried searching the forum for directions or hints on replacing the seals on this PS box but have not found anything. Does anyone have any hints or directions on how to replace the seals? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The PS box is the same as the manual box on your car unless somebody has stuck an aftermarket something or other on it.

The '63 Corvette Service manual details how to do what you want. Even many of the other GM service manuals of that era. That design box was used on millions of cars.

Many people just fill the gearbox with chassis grease instead of gear oil when the seals start leaking. That stops the leak.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Grease should be used. The input seal will pop put but the shaft is in the way to install it. You might rig up some way to do it though. I have the box apart to replace this seal. If you do remove the end nut then you're going to have to adjust the box correctly afterwards. If you go that far I would recommend getting a rebuild kit and cleaning out the old grease and installing fresh bearings and seal.Again be sure to set up the box correctly. You want 4-5 in/lb preload & 11.5-12 on center.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 65 Power Steering Box

Quick Reply: Help with 65 Power Steering Box