C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

More knowledge please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 PM
dillon14
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More knowledge please.

Man I love this forum. Even though I am (59) I am like a sponge when it comes to muscle car knowledge and there is plenty of it on this site.

Here is my next question to ponder.

I was told that when my 1967 bib block corvette was blowing oil out the oil filler tube it was because I changed the inserts on my Hooker Header system to a very restrictive set and it was causing too much pressure in the base. Changing that system cleared it up.

Now on my 1958 Corvette 283 engine I have noticed that the hole where the breather tube should be is plugged and the Corvette valve covers do not have any openings. (See photos) I have only driven the car a very short distance and it ran terrible especially when I put a load on it. Might this be the same problem as I had with my 67, no way to release the base pressure on the 283?

Thanks,
Al

Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

is that not a breather in the oil fill cap??........even if it is, you should have another source. the plug in the back has blocked off your "tomato can" if so equipped and it is there for the road draft tube......also, is your hood smashing your air filter??
Old 03-30-2009, 05:02 PM
dillon14
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does look like it is crushing the air cleaner filter. Will have to look into that.

Back to my original question. If it turns out that my current setup is not correct and is causing pressure to build up, what should I do to correct it?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dillon14
It does look like it is crushing the air cleaner filter. Will have to look into that.

Back to my original question. If it turns out that my current setup is not correct and is causing pressure to build up, what should I do to correct it?

Thanks
i think i answered at least half of your original question by asking if the cap on the fill tube was a vented one....if it is and it is clean then you should provide one more....the factory did this with the hole you have plugged in the back of the block....you can re use that but it works in conjunction with a tomato can that is installed in the lifter valley.....short of that you would have to install breathers on your valve covers..others may chime in here to say if just one breather(fill tube cap) is adequate...also depends on the condition of the mill....you need crankcase ventilation.....
Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Get Rid of the 2 fours for starters, would like to see pics of the oilfill tube on the '67 Bigblock.

Tom M
Originally Posted by dillon14

Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had just an oil fill tube breather up front like you do and oil kept splattering out of there. I'm not familiar with the C1 type ventilation. I have a '65 but I added valve cover PCV system that sucks crankcase pressure out of the driver's side with the valve, and fresh air in with a breather from the passenger side. I plugged the oil fill and use it only to fill. You may want to open up your rear plug and ventilate that way and keep your breather up front and if originality isn't an issue, add a PCV valve to the oil fill.

Get notified of new replies

To More knowledge please.

Quick Reply: More knowledge please.