C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removed headlight motor but inboard bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Removed headlight motor but inboard bearing?

Started to remove headlight motors and buckets to rebuild. The headlight bucket on the drivers side worked hard so I decided to dis-assemble that one first. Nothing surprising except for one of the spade connectors was broken off the proximity switch.
But after I removed the motor and panel stop, and then rotated the headlight panel to remove the retaining bolts I found that I could not remove the bearings, felt seal, retainer and washer from the inboard input shaft as instructions called out. Has anyone else ran into this? Guess you can remove the headlight panel with the bearings etc. still on the inboard shaft?
Thanks in advance for any help or guidance,
Chick
Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Once you have the bolts out of the retaining cups on both ends, you can just slide the entire assembly out the rear. It is not necessary to remove the pivot ***** before removing the headlight assembly. Getting the pivot ***** can be quite a chore at times! Spray with WD40 and just keep working the ball on the shaft.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

As John noted try to avoid removing that bearing. If you push to hard on the shaft that large ball will disengage from its retainers and its a SOB to get back together (but I did). Mine was so tight on the shaft I had to use a bearing puller to remove the ball once it was apart. Use big time internal snap ring plyers to bend the tabs back before you push the ball back in.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Once you have the bolts out of the retaining cups on both ends, you can just slide the entire assembly out the rear. It is not necessary to remove the pivot ***** before removing the headlight assembly. Getting the pivot ***** can be quite a chore at times! Spray with WD40 and just keep working the ball on the shaft.

Regards, John McGraw
Thanks John, I will remove the headlight bucket and then work on getting that pivot ball off.

Originally Posted by JohnFromVentura
As John noted try to avoid removing that bearing. If you push to hard on the shaft that large ball will disengage from its retainers and its a SOB to get back together (but I did). Mine was so tight on the shaft I had to use a bearing puller to remove the ball once it was apart. Use big time internal snap ring plyers to bend the tabs back before you push the ball back in.
Thanks John for info that is not in any of my reference material. I might have some more questions but for now "here we go!"

Get notified of new replies

To Removed headlight motor but inboard bearing?

Quick Reply: Removed headlight motor but inboard bearing?