C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OT-tie rod pullers

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:41 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Default OT-tie rod pullers

I've been looking at a couple 5pc front end service kits. KD tools KD41690, and OTC 6295. Consists of tie rod/ball joint pullers. If I figured out how to post a pic, I would. Just curious how well they work, taking into consideration how tight the stud(s) might be. Hate to bang away with pickle forks, with painted frame/suspension.

Last edited by skids; 03-31-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Skids:

I removed a fair amount of tie-rod ends and ball joints in my day, and never used a puller or a pickle fork.

We simply loosened the castle nut and replaced it with a standard nut or an extra deep nut (hardware stores sell these) to cover the threads, and then used a heavy deadblow hammer on the nutted stud. Worked every time for me.....although a few required a BIGGER hammer. If we knew we were going to reuse the joint we used the extradeep nut for max thread protection.

I never used a pickle fork, but was told that they can tear the joint rubber boot. Maybe if you aren't careful. Or not an issue if replacing the joint.

However, the pullers are not a bad idea, and will probably do the job more gently/efficiently.

Larry
Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks Larry. I've done it that way also,BFH, but sometimes it's too tight of an area to swing the hammer, so was thinking that's where the pullers would come in handy.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skids
Thanks Larry. I've done it that way also,BFH, but sometimes it's too tight of an area to swing the hammer, so was thinking that's where the pullers would come in handy.
on the tie rod end on the spindle, simply hold a dead blow hammer on one side against the spindle and smack the other side with another hammer ....works with just one hit!!.....
Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I just pulled the tie rod ends from the center link, the center link from the idler and pittman arms using the cheapie Taiwan pullers sold by NAPA. They worked fine. No damage to anything.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To OT-tie rod pullers

Quick Reply: OT-tie rod pullers