C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1958 color question / opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 AM
monkfunk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1958 color question / opinion

I have a numbers matching 58 that is the wrong color. It was blue new and now red. Am I crazy for painting it Black? I'm not doing this for re-sale, I guess I just love everything Black but my women and can't stand this car being red.
The other big question is that every black 58 I've seen has Red interior. Did they do Black with Charcoal? Can't seem to find the specs for color options.
I really think Black w/ silvers coves and Charcoal interior would be sweet!

Thanks for you opinions.
Mark
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have a red/white cove '58, with red interior, so, I'm partial to the red/white combo. I also have a '64 coupe with red exterior, and black interior. The black interior looks fine w/the red exterior, but, I found out after buying the car that the interior originally was red. I think I would have liked the red interior better. But, I've kept it as I bought it.
Now, as to whether your red '58 would look better as black, with either red or some other colored interior, I'm sure you'll find most opinions will be to go with what you like best. Black with a silver cove does look sharp. Black with either a red or charcoal interior also looks good. Your call. Enjoy what you like.
I've owned a number of black cars over the years. After having three of them (a '56 Ford, a '70 Ford, and an '82 TransAm), and getting frustrated with the process of keeping a black car looking sharp, and they always look good the day you wash and wax them, but beginning with the next day, they look dirty again, after three of them, I vowed never to again own a black car. They are just too hard to keep looking clean, IMHO.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Black or Charcoal

I own a Signet Red 58 with a black interior. I was actually thinking about the original charcoal color for my car but I love that signet red. The black exterior silver cove with a red interior is a great looking combo. I also own a black Mercedes and I have to admit there is a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good. C1's are a lot easier to maintain. It's your car do what's going to give you the most enjoyment. Greg
Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

"Did they do Black with Charcoal?"

No, Black came with either beige or red as an interior color. Black with Charcoal would look nice though.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:15 PM
BlueSkunk952
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't know there was a beige interior for '58. I have seen Charcoal w/red, Charcoal w/blue, and Charcoal w/charcoal. I like the red interior myself, but I must admit that black with black interior sounds good.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:21 PM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts

My "Black book" shows the recommended interior colors for Black exterior are Red & Charcoal, however, "other combinations were available".
Old 04-13-2009, 04:10 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSkunk952
I didn't know there was a beige interior for '58.
There wasn't. Charcoal, Blue-Gray, or Red.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:25 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by monkfunk
I have a numbers matching 58 that is the wrong color. It was blue new and now red. Am I crazy for painting it Black? I'm not doing this for re-sale, I guess I just love everything Black but my women and can't stand this car being red.
The other big question is that every black 58 I've seen has Red interior. Did they do Black with Charcoal? Can't seem to find the specs for color options.
I really think Black w/ silvers coves and Charcoal interior would be sweet!

Thanks for you opinions.
Mark
I searched everywhere for a silver blue/ blue grey '58 before I gave up and bought my red one. What color was the car originally, do you know?

Also wondering how the car has matching numbers with no VIN on the pad in '58?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:20 PM
wallemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I say paint it any color you want since it is for your enjoyment that you are considering it. The car is not original color now, according to your post, so what difference does it make what color you paint it if you are not worried about reselling it and what a potential buyer will think about the color you have chosen? Go for it! (that being said, I am struggling with the decision to paint my mosport green '66 vert black because it IS the original color.)
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM
monkfunk
Instructor

What I meant was the correct block. The car was Silver blue with silv blue interior too.
I redid most of the car to spec but not looking to make a show car out of her. I want to drive it!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:57 PM
monkfunk
Instructor

Thanks for all the tips and double thanks BlueSkunk for the Charcoal pic w/ the red interior. Look's SWEET and thats the look I'm looking for!
I know black is a lot of work but it looks fantastic when its clean!
I had a 93 conv black w/ red interior when I was 23 and miss that car but I loved my 86 rag black / charcoal the most it had a 7 spd and Emerson Fittipaldi rims. I got that when I got rid of the wife. Great trade !!LOL
I really think the catch is to have more than one!!!!
Thanks again guys, I appreciate the input!
Mark
Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by wib1961
My "Black book" shows the recommended interior colors for Black exterior are Red & Charcoal, however, "other combinations were available".
You are correct sir. I didn't have my Black Book with me. That will be the last time I trust the Corvette Action Center for data.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:48 PM
john neas
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it makes any difference, I believe black was only available late in the 58 model year.
Regards
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 AM
zadspal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There were no 58 Corvettes painted black until late 58. We don't know when his car was built and we know his car was originally blue. In this case the original poster don't care about the correctness. He wants to enjoy the car for himself and if you like Black/silver on Charcoal interior "Go for it". I honor that and think it's a good thing. Once you have her all fixed up like you want it post some photos for us to enjoy. Then drive it like you stole it!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There wasn't. Charcoal, Blue-Gray, or Red.
Right on John.

And I believe, Charcoal replaced Black paint about midway thru production.

You might consider Blue-Grey interior with black. Very stunning.

Ans as they say, paint it any color you want as long as its a 58 Corvette color. Then you won't hurt the long term value.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by zadspal
There were no 58 Corvettes painted black until late 58. We don't know when his car was built and we know his car was originally blue. In this case the original poster don't care about the correctness. He wants to enjoy the car for himself and if you like Black/silver on Charcoal interior "Go for it". I honor that and think it's a good thing. Once you have her all fixed up like you want it post some photos for us to enjoy. Then drive it like you stole it!
I have to agree, then again 58 in blue looks good!

Get notified of new replies

To 1958 color question / opinion

Quick Reply: 1958 color question / opinion