C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Has anybody had trouble with o ring caliper pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anybody had trouble with o ring caliper pistons?

Deleted

Last edited by Corbrastang; 05-26-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

It may be relative to who did the rebuild. Dennis
Old 04-16-2009, 03:18 PM
53 Blue Flame
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only had positive experiences with the O-ring type calipers. Never anything to complain about...yet.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default O ring

I put them on my 68 and 66. I also installed a set on a friends 70. Easy install, no problems. Jerry
Old 04-16-2009, 06:23 PM
RestoDoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O-ring calipers ( New castings ) are all I'm installing in my shop. I'm tired of the banged up, leaking rebuilt original cores that cause us to have to change them out after they failed the power bleed step.

I've never (knocking wood) had a problem with the new O-ring calipers.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

We used O-Ring pistons on the PBR calipers when I raced Camaros in Firehawk years ago and they are somewhat sensitive to being overheated. The o-rings will become brittle and need replacement. It is also critical not to let dirt or water get behind the o-ring on the piston. We rebuilt the calipers after every race but they should be ok on the street for a couple of years at least...

The o-rings are easy to replace - put a piece of 1X4 in the caliper and hit the pedal. The pistons will come out far enough to get the rings off and new ones on...
Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

RestoDoc, You might want to fill out your profile, it's too your advantage. Dennis
Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,309 Posts

There were some sealing preoblems with some early refitted O-ring calipers. Some manufacturers calipers O-rings had a mold line on the outer edge of the o-ring, causing a weak spot. That's the only negative I've ever heard attributed to the O-ring calipers. A leaking O-ring shouldn't cause a caliper to stick, though. Have you replaced the rear hoses? Old hoses tend to collapse, causing a caliper to lock up.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:50 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I replaced all 4 of my lip seal calipers with the oring type,and no problems. They came from Lone Star.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:56 AM
obx2323
Pro

I Have VBP O ring calipers all the way around zero problems. Stops on a dime and gives you 9 cents change back..!! Even went with the red powder coated. Great company service too BTW.

I also went to a dual master as the previous owner suffered a failure with the old style and almost bought the farm. 1st thing I changed.

Last edited by obx2323; 04-17-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:46 AM
uncle427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
My brakes are sticking at random times. I upgraded the rear calipers to o-ring pistons. Has anybody experienced issues with these?
Thanks
Hi,
You do not say if you installed the o-ring pistons into calipers you already had, presumably with the lip seal pistons. You do not indicate if its the rears that are sticking.

I will assume you installed the pistons and its the rears sticking.

Many of the calipers out there rebuilt or new designed and built originally for lip seals use a shorter piston. During machining there was a minimum depth required for the sleeve in the bore. It only needed to allow the lip seal piston design to fully retract flush with the casting. Also during machining for the sleeve the new bore sometimes was not concentric with the original bore, that created an off center "step' at the bottom of the bore.

Early original castings had a guide pin in center which lead up into the center off pistons, this design will only work with original design pistons with the insulators installed on them Unless the boss is machined out.

None of the above created any problems at all using the intended lip seal piston.

But, if now you install the newer design (and superior) o-ring caliper piston it can be an interference problem, the o-ring piston sits deeper in the bore and will potentially bind and **** the piston as the bottom of the piston jams on the step at the bottom of the bore.

Its not a big deal to fix but you need to be aware of it beforehand. Before installing your pistons, check the bore and the piston fit (without the o-ring on it) to be sure it will go to the bottom of the bore, not **** and still be free. If not, just take your dremel and grind the step, it will not take much to correct.

Some suppliers such as Vette Brakes used to give you a bulletin with the kits with a warning about this but if you buy kits supplied by a jobber supplier, there is no literature at all.

Every ones o-ring pistons will have the same potential issue so its not who you buy them from

BTW, the early problems with o-ring calipers were for sure associated with regular o rings (as stated previously, caliper pistons are custom mold with an offset mold parting line, NEVER use regular o-rings), there was also millions of calipers manufactured offshore and will have no delco markings which were a big problem due to the castings being porous, lots of them.. , so o-ring calipers got a bad rap early on.

If you are not racing on the track, the o-ring calipers properly built are the only way to go!

Let us know what you find.
Bill
Old 04-17-2009, 09:05 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

A master cylinder piston that does not return fully will also cause the brakes to stick.

The first step is to find out which wheel(s) is/are dragging.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Deleted

Last edited by Corbrastang; 05-26-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:38 PM
uncle427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure you did not put the springs behind the o-ring calipers, they are unnecessary.

Be sure the master cylinder piston is fully retracting past the vent hole in the bottom of the resevior. You should be able to see that thru clean fluid. If you cannot, the vent hole may be blocked from crud.

If the piston is not, either the push rod is out of adjustment holding it from fully returning or maybe other linkage issue. This condition will not allow the residual fluid pressure to bled off and will keep the system locked, temperature increase will lock it harder.

Be certain the e-brake is adjusted properly with the adjusters on the correct sides, check the diagram for orientation, I always need to double check.

Bill
Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

How old are your rubber flex hoses?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

All the hoses and brake lines are new.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Drive the car for awhile and then stop and feel the wheel in the area of the wheel center. If you feel more heat on one than the rest, that's a place to start. If all the wheels seem like they're warmer than you would think, I'd be looking at the master cylinder system. If all the wheels are cool to the touch, I'd drive on.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anybody had trouble with o ring caliper pistons?

Quick Reply: Has anybody had trouble with o ring caliper pistons?