C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil Viscosity vs Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Having the same problem too, I was wondering if this could be as simple as a bad gauge or sending unit?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:20 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXTSVN
Having the same problem too, I was wondering if this could be as simple as a bad gauge or sending unit?
There is no sending unit. It's a mechanical (Bourdon tube) gauge. Put a tee in the oil line and add a known good gauge. You can use any high quality gauge, like those made by Ashcroft. Always use a gauge where your target pressure range is in the MIDDLE of the gauge's range. So, best to use a zero - one hundred psig gauge.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
If you chart the viscosity of oil from cold to hot, you will find that there is very little real difference in viscosity of oils at higher temperatures. The hot viscosity makes little difference in hot oil pressures. Single weight oils make little difference either. The only difference in them is the rate of change. Multi weights start out thinner, cold , and just don't change as fast with temperature. When they all get hot they are all thin.

When my 31 and 33 Cadillacs were new, there was a recommendation to add a quart of kerosene to the oil for ultra cold temperature operation, so I guess adding MMO to the oil would not hurt anything since that's what most of those snake oil products are. But they were dealing with mineral oils. Modern oils are much better, especially cold, so I wouldn't recommend the Kerosene thing. Just use a good multi weight and forget it or change the pump.
MMO has been a proprietory blend for well over 80 years. It is not Kerosene based. MMO does a great job in keeping everything inside the engine clean with not sign of wear (especially true for my older cars. Engine in the '40 Chev, nearly 70 years old has no ridge, no buildup and is super clean. All that said. My '62 with LT-1 Short Block with Rotella 15-40. is over 70lbs pressure at start up and even after warmed up in hot weather runs around 60 lbs at 70+ mph. At idle maybe down to 30-35. It's always run this way and I've never had a problem. Block has over 35k miles with no signs of any wear. I wouldn't worry about the pressure.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:07 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
MMO has been a proprietory blend for well over 80 years. It is not Kerosene based. MMO does a great job in keeping everything inside the engine clean with not sign of wear (especially true for my older cars. Engine in the '40 Chev, nearly 70 years old has no ridge, no buildup and is super clean. All that said. My '62 with LT-1 Short Block with Rotella 15-40. is over 70lbs pressure at start up and even after warmed up in hot weather runs around 60 lbs at 70+ mph. At idle maybe down to 30-35. It's always run this way and I've never had a problem. Block has over 35k miles with no signs of any wear. I wouldn't worry about the pressure.
You are correct MMO is not kerosene based it is benzene, mineral spirits (turpentine), and paptha. A strong solvent and light oils. That's why it does what it does.

http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/m...3/wcd04377.htm

Quick Reply: Oil Viscosity vs Pressure?