C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1959 C1 vette looking for Wind Deflector/Screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
ed1655
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need wind deflector advice for a '59

Hey Guys, I've got a buddy in South Florida who has a '59. He's looking for a wind deflector to put in the rear when the top is down.... to keep the wind out of the cockpit. Obviously something that matches with the vette more than the pic below but that's the type of apparatus I'm referring to. Any ideas? Experiences?

T I A

Last edited by ed1655; 05-21-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
drivette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wind buffeting is a real problem, especially at highway speeds. As far as I know no one makes an "after market" screen for this purpose. I had thought about making one until I finished my hardtop. I enjoy riding now, with the hardtop, so I haven't gone any further with the idea.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:22 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't know if anyone makes them anymore, but I installed a convertible top with a zip-down rear window in my '59. Great air flow, no buffeting, minimal sunburn (left arm got rather toasty).
Old 05-21-2009, 06:41 PM
ed1655
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mashinter
I don't know if anyone makes them anymore, but I installed a convertible top with a zip-down rear window in my '59. Great air flow, no buffeting, minimal sunburn (left arm got rather toasty).
ah, kinda the opposite of an air deflector. so your head was covered but the rear window was out... sounds fun but not exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking for something that'll give the open air "experience" but cut down on the buffeting slightly. i personally had one of these on afew of my cars, 2 bimmers and a mercedes - all roadsters. they work great!!! hopefully someone will chime in with some reccs. thanks guys
Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

unfortunately there is no way to mount it behind the seats like with a "Z". but if one had the stuff to fabricate with, it would be possible to modify an existing version to mount to the convertible top brackets alongside the seats and, if necessary, brace it from the hardtop mounts on the deck lid.
Bill
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
ed1655
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking your buddy owns the wrong car.
If that's a problem for him, he's the wrong person to own an early Vette--------------tell him to sell it and get a yuppie car!!!

Tom Parsons
NICE, TOM. NICE.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:02 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking your buddy owns the wrong car.
If that's a problem for him, he's the wrong person to own an early Vette--------------tell him to sell it and get a yuppie car!!!

Tom Parsons
My thoughts exactly, I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in. It's bad enough to see corvettes with tops down and windows rolled up! You might as well put a F%&D or Mo*^R decal on the sides..... Yuck!

You could post your question on the NCRS site, that should bring out some choice responses.

At least have your buddy play around with the cowl vent settings, it makes quite a difference in cockpit air flows.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Tom & Tom are really a pair! But I have to agree that something like that does not ever belong in a C1 or C2 (sorry Tom P., but think the "C" thing fits here).

I have a "mount behind the seat" windscreen that came with my 03 Vette convertible that I bought last year (some of the C5 and C6 crowd evidently do want them since I have seen a variety of styles for sale).

Have never used it, and doubt I ever will. A hat does all I need in that department. But I suppose I could see what would be needed to mount it in my 62 (in theory only).

Keep you posted (if I can find it).

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 05-22-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:08 PM
ed1655
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Plasticman
(if I can find it).
famous last words!
haha, sounds good. i told the guy something similar but - that he could try going to a metal shop or tap plastics ad have something fabricated, but without having a c1 to look at it's kinda hard for me and this guy is way out in southern florida, i'm in northern cal. if you CAN find yours and could give any better advice it'd be much appreciated.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

OK, I found it and mocked it up in my 62.

This unit has a light tinted plexiglass "window". Have seen other units with a screen type material. I am sure each has it's good and bad points.

As you can see, it is located pretty close to the back of where my head would be (within about 3" while driving). So I would not locate it that close. Also, it is too low for a C1 (would raise it or make it taller) by 4-6". As for being doable, yes, with sufficient brackets, but then the C5 brackets are "unique" as well.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 05-22-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That's just wrong John....
Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by fdreano
That's just wrong John....
Frank,

I agree, but he asked for it!

And it matches in color!

John
Old 05-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't know if they are still available but they used to make aftermarket wing windows that clamped on to the door pillar. These adjustable items went a long way to lesson interior wind problems. Anybody know where you can get these? I guess you could make them out of plexy and strips of alluminum if you were talented. Rob
Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by kerrmudgeon
I don't know if they are still available but they used to make aftermarket wing windows that clamped on to the door pillar. These adjustable items went a long way to lesson interior wind problems. Anybody know where you can get these? I guess you could make them out of plexy and strips of alluminum if you were talented. Rob
I've never seen or heard of those - I'd be curious to see pictures if anybody has some.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:43 AM
ed1655
Burning Brakes

WOW! so that's actually for a c5???? i'll keep watching the thread . as for my opinion on whether doing this is sacrilidge - we have a little saying that comes up frequently on the c3 forum: "it's your car, do what you want with it". now, if this were to involve any permanent modifications or alterations to the car then i think we'd all agree it'd just be WRONG. but if the guy wants to stick a deflector on? albeit one that actually looks pretty good? hey, who am i to tell him not to?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:30 PM
drivette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kerrmudgeon
Both "Moon equipment" & "Speedway Motors" sell these.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by drivette
Both "Moon equipment" & "Speedway Motors" sell these.
Did not find anything on Moon's website, but did find these on Speedway's:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Window...zies,2325.html

$9.99 for a pair (plus shipping)!

But they are designed to be captured by a vent window and are small (just a side wind deflector).

Found this also, which is probably more usable, but I don't see anything for the mounting and adjustment they talk about:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...-Kit,3425.html

I see that they sell windwing brackets separately (as well as just the plastic windwings):
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wind-W...kets,4858.html

Also have these versions:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...kets,2956.html

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 05-23-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1959 C1 vette looking for Wind Deflector/Screen

Old 05-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Great diligence Plasticman, to dig those items up. The ones I saw were maybe 4x10 or 12(height of pillar less an inch or two) and rectangular. It looks like those ones you found could easily be modified to this size. I don't remember if they clamped to the windshield or pillar. Door was closed and going 5o mph!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:42 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Plasticman
OK, I found it and mocked it up in my 62.
This unit has a light tinted plexiglass "window". Have seen other units with a screen type material. I am sure each has it's good and bad points.
As you can see, it is located pretty close to the back of where my head would be (within about 3" while driving). So I would not locate it that close. Also, it is too low for a C1 (would raise it or make it taller) by 4-6". As for being doable, yes, with sufficient brackets, but then the C5 brackets are "unique" as well.

Plasticman

John
that really is kind of cool in a weird way...
Bill
Old 05-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I am afraid these mods look like a quick way to 'dork up' the classy looks of early vettes. I'm closing ranks with Tom Parsons....somebody has the wrong car!

Quick Reply: 1959 C1 vette looking for Wind Deflector/Screen