C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 327-365 PCV Valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 PM
heavchev
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1965 327-365 PCV Valve

Starting to go through the engine compartment on the 65 I just purchased. It has the 327 365 horse motor. I noticed there is no pcv valve on the engine. There is a fitting that comes off the oil filler tube that connect via a hose to the carb. I've seen a pcv valve screwed into this fitting on other year cars. But when I go into the catalogs of the various parts suppliers, no one lists a pcv valve for this application. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks, Charlie
Old 05-25-2009, 06:41 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

what you have is correct.
In '65 there was no actual PCV valve used. The system consisted if:

1. Intake side of the system is the tube that runs from the underside of the aircleaner housing to the back of the block. This draws in fresh air into the block.

2. Exhaust side of the system is the hose that runs from the oil fill tube to a special 90º fitting on the side of the side of your Holley 2818 carb. This 90º fitting has a specific sized orifice in it and draws the vapors out of the motor via full manifold vacuum from the port this 90º fitting connects to on the carb.

See a pic of my '65 L76 as an example:

here is another showing the 90º fitting without the hose attached:
Old 05-25-2009, 11:50 AM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK

1. Intake side of the system is the tube that runs from the underside of the aircleaner housing to the back of the block. This draws in fresh air into the block.

2. Exhaust side of the system is the hose that runs from the oil fill tube to a special 90º fitting on the side of the side of your Holley 2818 carb. This 90º fitting has a specific sized orifice in it and draws the vapors out of the motor via full manifold vacuum from the port this 90º fitting connects to on the carb.

Hi Barry;

GREAT LOOKING CARBURATOR!

I just finished the engine restoration on my 65 L79 and have the correct 2818 carburator that works great but has the wrong date on it. I have sense found the correct dated carburator but need to have it restored and recolored and re-plated etc. Who did your carburator and are you satisfied with how it runs? I do not want to send my carburator to someone who will just make it look nice but I want someone who will also insure it will work correctly. I can do the rebuilding myself but I do not have the resources to color the castings and do the plating and all the small hardware etc. Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I just saw an NOS "PVC" Fitting on EBAY and I think it sold for about $20.00. I have seen these engines with what looked to be the correct "PVC" fitting that did not run right only to find someone had installed a generic elbow insted of a fitting with the correct size orfice. I have made these orificed fittings in "In The Old Days" but now I believe several of the parts people have a reproductiion. I am almost sure Paragon does.

Again, GOOD LOOKING ENGINE!

Chris CWPASADENA
Old 05-25-2009, 12:17 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Default I could eat off that

Barry,
your engine is cleaner than my dinner table.
I could take my supper off that manifold,
and dessert off your carburetor.
Nice Work!

Last edited by 65hihp; 05-25-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 PM
count
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your intake painted? or was it blasted and cleared over, looks so good!!!! Actually your pics are a great help I have an L76 and have no hook ups so this is a good guide of what goes where!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:00 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Chris
I would NEVER recommend the carb rebuilder I used. I requested a complete rebuild & cosmetic restoration of my carb. Granted, it came back looking 'OK" so the cosmetic restoration was acceptable but the rebuild was not - it came back leaking like a sieve (which it had not leaked a drop previously!), the choke didn't work anymore, and it ran like crap.
After calling the rebuilder I was literally told "tough, live with it" and he refused to stand behind his faulty work. I had to fix the leaks and choke operation myself and I'm STILL trying to get the carb dialed in to run good even 4 years later.
Believe me, while it may look good I'd rather have a crappy looking carb that ran good.

My suggestion? find a good carb rebuilder local to you so if you have any issues afterwards you can go back and see the guy in person. I'm in Delaware and the guy I used was in Ohio so hard to deal with the issue except over the phone and he wouldn't help me.

65hihp, thanks for the kind words. The pics were from when I was redoing my engine bay back in 2005. I try to keep it looking clean but from use it no longer looks quite as nice now as it did than. Close - but not the same
Old 05-25-2009, 01:03 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by count
Is your intake painted? or was it blasted and cleared over, looks so good!!!! Actually your pics are a great help I have an L76 and have no hook ups so this is a good guide of what goes where!
no paint or clear coat. Simply glass bead blasted at as low of a pressure level as possible to still get it clean and left "raw". most spills, drips, etc clean up easily with a wipe-down of brake cleaner.

If you need, here are more pics of my reassembly of the engine bay if you need reference for anything else.

http://lbfun.com/Corvette/65Vette/mcu/reassembly.html
Old 05-25-2009, 01:08 PM
count
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

cool thanks!!! I think i will go the glass beed way once i get the engine running to avoid it getting dirty through the grueling process!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:17 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris
I would NEVER recommend the carb rebuilder I used. I requested a complete rebuild & cosmetic restoration of my carb. Granted, it came back looking 'OK" so the cosmetic restoration was acceptable but the rebuild was not - it came back leaking like a sieve (which it had not leaked a drop previously!), the choke didn't work anymore, and it ran like crap.
After calling the rebuilder I was literally told "tough, live with it" and he refused to stand behind his faulty work. I had to fix the leaks and choke operation myself and I'm STILL trying to get the carb dialed in to run good even 4 years later.
Believe me, while it may look good I'd rather have a crappy looking carb that ran good.

My suggestion? find a good carb rebuilder local to you so if you have any issues afterwards you can go back and see the guy in person. I'm in Delaware and the guy I used was in Ohio so hard to deal with the issue except over the phone and he wouldn't help me.

65hihp, thanks for the kind words. The pics were from when I was redoing my engine bay back in 2005. I try to keep it looking clean but from use it no longer looks quite as nice now as it did than. Close - but not the same
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info. Actually, the actual rebuilding is not a problem as I have rebuild my own carburetors for more than 50 years and I rebuilt the one that is currently on my 65 that runs just fine but has the wrong dates. I was looking for some help with the cosmetic end and did not want to have to go thur what you ran into. I have always felt there are a lot of these guys that make them look great but do not have a clue when it comes to operating correctly. I certainly also agree with you that my first priority is that it has to operate correctly, then if I can get it to look like something, that is my second priority.

I have been doing FI Re-Building and Restoration sense tha late 60s and I have a complete instrumented test engine set up so I can calibrate and test run my units before I ship them to the customer. It is a lot easier to find and deal with a problem in my shop then to have the customer have a problem. I have gotten to units others have "restored" that had problems. They may look great but do not run right. I will not mention any names. Just like everything else, there is a great disperity in the quality of work out there. There are a few guys who do a very fine job with the FI Units and there are some that are not so good at all and there are one or two that do a terrable job and actually do more harm then good. Every so often, I have had to tell customers that it will cost more to straighten out their FI Unit then if he would brought it to me in the first place.

Anyway, I do not have the sources for all the little detail pieces for the Holly Carburetors and at this stage of the game, I am not interested in going thru all the time and effort to get this stuff together as this is probibly the only carburetor I will want to have restored. I know there may be someone out there who does a good job on the cosmetics and also know what they are doing as far as making it so it will run right and not leak etc. Anyway, If I can figure out how to do it, I will post a picture of my 65 L79 Engine I just finished. In a year or so, my engine will not look as good as it does at this tiime as I plan to DRIVE IT. I feel that is what these cars were made for and they are a real fun car to drive when they are right.

Sorry to run on as I sometimes seem to do.

Thanks again, Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

That fitting has an .090" orifice in it - Paragon has them. There's a thread on reputable Holley rebuilders/restorers from a couple of hours ago.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Holley used to offer complete rebuilding/restoration of their carbs. I do not know if they still do, but they calibrated them on the same equipment used to build them, with the proper plating, with the slight greenish tinge, unlike most of what you see today .
Old 01-02-2022, 03:48 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by heavchev
Starting to go through the engine compartment on the 65 I just purchased. It has the 327 365 horse motor. I noticed there is no pcv valve on the engine. There is a fitting that comes off the oil filler tube that connect via a hose to the carb. I've seen a pcv valve screwed into this fitting on other year cars. But when I go into the catalogs of the various parts suppliers, no one lists a pcv valve for this application. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks, Charlie

On the 1965 Corvette using just two engine valve cover breathers is all you need?
Old 01-02-2022, 03:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
On the 1965 Corvette using just two engine valve cover breathers is all you need?
what. there was never two valve cover breathers on any mid year. the 65 L79 and L76 did have a PCV. it was in the elbow on the carb
Old 01-02-2022, 07:22 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Y'all do know that you're responding to a 12 year old thread. And, Mike, please stop giving out misinformation...it really doesn't do anyone any good.

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 327-365 PCV Valve

Quick Reply: 1965 327-365 PCV Valve