C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Using Nyloc Nuts instead of Nut and Lock Washer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 PM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Using Nyloc Nuts instead of Nut and Lock Washer?

I am inquiring to find out the pro's and cons of using nyloc nuts instead of a nut an lock washer. Is there any area on the car where a nyloc should not be used, other than the exhaoust?

Nyloc's are common today and widely used instead of the nut and lock washer. Is there a life expectancy of the nylon used in the nyloc nut. Nyloc nuts are much easier to use and more forgiving on components.

I am not building a NCRS car, but have seen NCCC cars with nyloc's used .

Thanks
Bob
Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I like to wear a belt AND suspenders!

I use nylock nuts with lockwashers wherever and whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:57 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i see no problem with using nylocs, and use them with flat washers instead of lock washers. the only problem i can foresee is that repeated removal/reinstallation of the nut will degrade the nylon portion and after a few uses (and i can't quantify a 'few') it would be best to use a new nut.
Bill
Old 06-01-2009, 02:28 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Pros:

Won't vibrate off even if loosened up

Easier to use in tight places where it may be hard to keep a lock washer in place while getting the nut on.

Cons:

They don't like heat

harder to install or remove in tight places as it takes torque to turn the nut the entire time is is being threaded on or off, vs a simple spin until tightening or after loosening. Though not that big of a deal on a proper length bolt.

Doug
Old 06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No HEAT.

Doug is right on.

They are great in most applications though. A little anti sieze as usual and off you go.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Lock washers are for farm equipment

Once torqued past about 5 lbs the "lock washer" contributes nothing, its the clamp load produced by torquing to 80% of the fastener yield value that keeps the fastener tight. The best use for a lock washer is for visually being able to check if the fastener is tightened at all. Usually for some sort of high volume manufacturing process or on a farm. Always use self locking nuts (nylock), if heat is an issue there are deformed thread types. If you were obsessive compulsive, use them only once, otherwise two to three times max.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:42 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Ed Roth's Outlaw was disqualified from the Oakland Roadster show back around '59 because he had Nylocs in the front suspension/steering. Techs said it was a no-no. He kept building cars but I don't believe he entered one in competition again.

If it had been accepted, Barris' Ala Kart might not have won two Grand Nationals in a row.

Last edited by sub006; 06-01-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:58 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Consider prevailing torque nuts (John S 1961 menitoned them too). They are crimped so the threads are no longer round. Fairly common are ones with a dimple on every other flat from the crimping process.

Great in vibration applications (we used them at VW for mounting engine accessories).

No issues with heat. probably more resistance to backing off than Nylocks..

Harry
Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Most Nylocls that you find in a hardware store are Grade 2 which are not very good for strength. I have a Speciality Fastener Store near me that sells hardware for performance and race cars that sell Grade 8 Nylock nuts. If you can find them, Grade 8 are are much better quality and a lot stronger. I even use Nylock nuts on the rear spring to trailing arm tie bolts. It makes it a cinch to adjust rear ride hight. The NCRS amy not like it but My 65 is a driver.

Go for it!!!

Chris, CWPASADENA
Old 06-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CWPASADENA
Most Nylocls that you find in a hardware store are Grade 2 which are not very good for strength. I have a Speciality Fastener Store near me that sells hardware for performance and race cars that sell Grade 8 Nylock nuts. If you can find them, Grade 8 are are much better quality and a lot stronger. I even use Nylock nuts on the rear spring to trailing arm tie bolts. It makes it a cinch to adjust rear ride hight. The NCRS amy not like it but My 65 is a driver.

Go for it!!!

Chris, CWPASADENA
Been using them on hot rods for years.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:37 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Default Just to be double safe

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
I use nylock nuts with lockwashers wherever and whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Bet you also wear suspenders with your belt?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Originally Posted by CWPASADENA

Go for it!!!

Chris, CWPASADENA
When I bought my 65, it had 1/2-13 Grade 2 rear spring tie bolts with just a nut and lock washer holding the rear of the car up. I do not think I even drove it around the block before I changed them to 5/8-18 Grade 8 with Grade 8 Nylock nuts. Having one of these break is not a good situation at all.

Chris, CWPASADENA
Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Black60
No HEAT.

Doug is right on.

They are great in most applications though. A little anti sieze as usual and off you go.
The anti sieze IS important. You can snap a bolt in 1/2 without it. Ask me how I know. :o
Old 06-02-2009, 03:01 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
The anti sieze IS important. You can snap a bolt in 1/2 without it. Ask me how I know. :o
OK, i'm puzzled... why the need for antiseize? nylocs don't go on that hard, and there is no reason for the nylon to adhere to the bolting material.
Bill
Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
Ed Roth's Outlaw was disqualified from the Oakland Roadster show back around '59 because he had Nylocs in the front suspension/steering. Techs said it was a no-no. He kept building cars but I don't believe he entered one in competition again.

If it had been accepted, Barris' Ala Kart might not have won two Grand Nationals in a row.
Castle nuts and cotter pins were used back then. My '92 still has them on the tie rod ends. No worries about a worn-out or defective nylock. The '92 also has greaseable ball joints. Thank you, GM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by wmf62
OK, i'm puzzled... why the need for antiseize? nylocs don't go on that hard, and there is no reason for the nylon to adhere to the bolting material.
Bill
Bill, maybe he used stainless steel Nyloks on stainless bolts once and had the stainless seize up. I made this mistake..... once.

Jim
Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Originally Posted by mashinter
Castle nuts and cotter pins were used back then. My '92 still has them on the tie rod ends. No worries about a worn-out or defective nylock. The '92 also has greaseable ball joints. Thank you, GM.
I would Nylocks to replace applications where nuts and lock washers were used but I would NOT use Nylocks to replace castle nuts and cotter keys as used with the steering linkage. This is just too critical of stuff to come loose.

Chris CWPASADENA

Get notified of new replies

To Using Nyloc Nuts instead of Nut and Lock Washer?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:49 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Bet you also wear suspenders with your belt?
You say that like it's weird or something.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Bill, maybe he used stainless steel Nyloks on stainless bolts once and had the stainless seize up. I made this mistake..... once.

Jim
That's the story and I SNAPPED an ARP bolt right in 1/2 and Jim you're right you only make that mistake once because it really gets your attention.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Mike McCoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used nylocks everywhere on open wheel race cars forever. Aircraft use them all over the airframe and engine. Remember, they have a third direction to worry about!

Quick Reply: Using Nyloc Nuts instead of Nut and Lock Washer?