C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help on side window rear channel liner

Old 06-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Chevyman for life
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on side window rear channel liner

Just joined this forum. Have had six Vettes. 64, 2-65s, 69 427 tripower, 71, 79. Now have a '56 restored Chevy post and am starting on a '55 Chevy modified.

Presently I'm finishing a four year '59 Corvette restoration for a friend of mine.

The side window rear channels are supposed to have a fabric liner to keep the stainless window frames from scratching and to slide easier. On the car I'm working on the liners were missing but I can see where they went all the way from the edge of each channel down to the bottom and back up. This would take a fabric width of 3 1/2". The repro channel liners are 2 1/2" which would leave a 1/2" bare metal inside edge on each side.

The question is, will the narrower fabric still keep the stainless from getting scratched? If not, I could order another liner and cut it to cover the bare areas.

The other question is, this is a tall, narrow channel and I'm trying to figure the best way to get the fabric in there to lay nicely. One option might be trim cement but you all know this is messy and doesn't slide around easily. Another option would be to spray the back of the fabric with 3M fabric adhesive and work it down in there.

Any comments, experiences or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Gerry
Old 06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

We use this liner in out shop and install it pretty much in the manner you described.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...roducts_id=544

If you fold it in half and crease it, you can then spray the glue on the new liner, then spary glue in the channel. If you have the liner creased and take you time you can fit it right in there. A bondo spreader works well for doing this in a controlled manner and allows you to work from center to the outer edge. I hope this makes sense. . . I think I have a picture of us doing this somewhere, I’ll see if I can find one.

Once you have the liner glued do not cut off the ends of the material (you can trim the sides). Slit the ends and fold them over backwards to glue them on the back side of the channel. If you do this it gives you a little more security in knowing the liner will not get snagged by the window or anything else and pull loose. It’s not how GM did it, but it seems to work.

Once you have the liner in the channel it will be extra tight on the glass. We have a tool here we used to run through the channel to help speed the wear in process. You can do a test slide on the stainless steel window trim before you install the channel in the door too, this will tell you if you need to tweak it before you go to the trouble of installing it in the door.

Willcox
Old 06-11-2009, 05:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Some of the reproduction liner material is pretty thick and tends to bind the window travel; when I restored my '57, I gave up on the too-thick CC liner material and went to a fabric store and bought premium black felt - worked great, wasn't apparent, and was easy to install.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Chevyman for life
Intermediate

Thanks to both of you for the help. I appreciate the quick answers.

I still need information to know if the liner has to go all the way to the top of both sides of the channel or if the 1/2" short of being to the top along each side of the channel will be a problem. The liner I got is fairly thin so I'm not sure that will be a problem. Wilcox, how wide is your fabric?

Thanks again,

Responses on this forum seem great. My first day here.

Gerry
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Chevyman for life
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
We use this liner in out shop and install it pretty much in the manner you described.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...roducts_id=544

If you fold it in half and crease it, you can then spray the glue on the new liner, then spary glue in the channel. If you have the liner creased and take you time you can fit it right in there. A bondo spreader works well for doing this in a controlled manner and allows you to work from center to the outer edge. I hope this makes sense. . . I think I have a picture of us doing this somewhere, I’ll see if I can find one.

Once you have the liner in the channel it will be extra tight on the glass. We have a tool here we used to run through the channel to help speed the wear in process. You can do a test slide on the stainless steel window trim before you install the channel in the door too, this will tell you if you need to tweak it before you go to the trouble of installing it in the door.

Willcox
Willcox,

If you find the picture of working the cloth in the channel that would be helpful but I think I can get that part done.

I did a dry run with the frame and the channel liner makes it a little tight. You mentioned you made a tool to run back and forth. Any info on what that is? Do you have a picture of that? Would fine sanding of the cloth work before it's put in or would that ruin it?

Thanks,
Gerry
Old 06-25-2009, 11:09 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Gerry,

I've been sucking up the nice weather in northern Ca. while the weather here was blowing the glass out of my doors! I sent you an email today! Sorry for the late reply. . . Hope it's not to late.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Need help on side window rear channel liner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help on side window rear channel liner