C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Advice for repairing fiberglass gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 AM
RREEVES
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Advice for repairing fiberglass gas tank

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Plan on removing the tank, doesn't leak unless the tank is about half full.......

Thanks,
Old 06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm told, but don't personally have proof, that the newer ethanol-based fuels eat away at the lining in these old tanks....so if its leaking in one place its probably weak in others.

I don't mess around with flammable liquids or vapors so I'd personally replace it. wmf62 (Bill) on this forum has replaced his and he can tell you where he got his from if you will consider that...

Frank
Old 06-12-2009, 11:00 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by fdreano
I'm told, but don't personally have proof, that the newer ethanol-based fuels eat away at the lining in these old tanks....so if its leaking in one place its probably weak in others.

I don't mess around with flammable liquids or vapors so I'd personally replace it. wmf62 (Bill) on this forum has replaced his and he can tell you where he got his from if you will consider that...

Frank
Frank
he said 'fiberglass' tank.. and the only OEM fiberglass tank i know of would be the BIG tank.

if it is a fiberglass tank and it is leaking from something other than a obvious hole, then i would suggest one of two things:

1. replace the tank. there are supposedly repros available

2, get some of the 'pour on the tank' sealer stuff they use for metal tanks and work it around the entire inside of the take so that it is completely lined with the sealer.

if it is a metal tank, then there are replacement metal tanks are available from a number of sources other than the corvette vendors. just do a Google search. mine was made by Spectra and is available many places.
Bill

Bill
Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Good advice - if he has the 24 gal 'big' tank he has a rarity indeed...
Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Bill - I don't think the sealer would work in a fiberglass tank. If the tank is leaking it means it has a crack or split which will only keep getting bigger in time. The sealer would not flex enough to prevent that. Only correct way to fix a fiberglass tank would be to repair it with fiberglass.

If a metal tank, then just buy a new one, its more cost effective in the long run. I bought mine from Corvette Central
Old 06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
RREEVES
Racer

Yes, this is the 36.5 gallon fiberglass tank, I just wondered if someone
locally has experience with this type of repairs.....
I thought about checking for over the counter sealants.....not sure if that would only be a temporary fix........
Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My 66 Racer had the big tank in it. It was notched out to clear the roll bar and fiberglassed back together. No big deal, just looked like regular fiberglass mat and resin. I ran high octane racing fuel in it.
Pops
Old 06-12-2009, 05:07 PM
RREEVES
Racer

Thanks for the information, since the mating and resin worked on your tank...i suppose it's worth a try.......
Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 PM
P Knopp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fix what you can with glass then use the epoxy sealer from these guys http://www.caswellplating.com/
Old 06-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Can you tell if it's leaking at a seam, or at another damage point where it has a crack or split?

If it's leaking at a seam, it might be worth trying to see if it will come completely apart at the seam. That'd let you properly re-bond the whole thing at the seam without messing up the tank. If it's a seam, I'd think chances are good that it'll continue to separate at the seam over time.

If it has a hole or other damage, you might be able to repair just that area.

If you should choose to use one of the coatings for the interior, be sure you get the type compatible with ethanol gasoline, there used to be two types available. My experience with this stuff (Por 15, specifically) is that it's pretty flexible and durable, it'll seal some pretty good sized holes, up to at least 1/8" diameter. I've used it on old motor scooter tanks that have been rusted through, not a leak to date. But, once you put the stuff inside the tank, it's there to stay. Be sure you take that into consideration.

(They even tell you in the instructions that you may have to drill out or otherwise open the gas line connection into the tank, as it'll get sealed over as well in some cases. These are 1/4" to 3/8" lines, but a drill bit makes short work of opening these).

Whatever you decide, remember you're working around a potential bomb, an old gas tank with fumes inside. Power tools can cause an explosion or fire from the sparks between the brushes and commutator.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 AM
RREEVES
Racer

Not exactly sure where the leak is at until I remove the tank, but where do you find someone to coat the inside of the tank......
Old 06-13-2009, 08:55 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Just a thought. I think that these tanks were made using epoxy resin. You might want to do some research on that. You can "stick" epoxy to polyester, but not the other way around. Mike Coletta
Old 06-13-2009, 12:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

You might check with a marina - many boat tanks are fiberglass, and they'll know what resins work.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:38 PM
RREEVES
Racer

Your the undisputed expert JOHN Z on this forum, I certainly value your advice.........
Old 06-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RREEVES
Not exactly sure where the leak is at until I remove the tank, but where do you find someone to coat the inside of the tank......
Coating the inside of the tank isn't that big of a deal, actually. I'm sure you could do it yourself should you choose to do so. About all it takes is to pour the stuff into the tank (since you don't have a metal tank with rust and flaking to deal with inside the tank) and turn the tank over and around so the coating covers the entire inside of the tank. It would probably help to have a buddy assist in rotating the tank.

Once the inside is thoroughly coated, pour the excess out and let it cure for a period, about 24 hours as I remember.

Eastwood is one of the suppliers that handles the stuff, there are plenty of others as well. I'm sure you could go to the "Hemmings" online site and find some advertisements for suppliers as well.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:24 AM
RREEVES
Racer

My only concern is the fuel line fittings being pluged with the coating inside the tank, since i can't remove them without doing damage to the tank.........
Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 AM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Are you serious?

I dont quite understand this one. You have a tanker and you are looking for a cheap way out to do this repair??? Splash around an inside the tank sealer and cross your fingers?

No offense, but get real. Is it worth taking a chance on getting it wrong? Whats the worst that can happen - Oh, nothing serious except maybe fuel leaking, catching on fire and your car burning to the ground.

GET PROFESSIONAL HELP NOW!!!

As john z said - get to a professional fiberglass or boat company that does serious repairs. This is no time for shortcuts or cheap fixes.

bigredbrad

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for repairing fiberglass gas tank

Old 06-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

My only concern is the fuel line fittings being pluged with the coating inside the tank, since i can't remove them without doing damage to the tank.........
I'm not familiar with how the fittings install into the tank, but unless you have a way to clear them they'll certainly be plugged. If they go straight in a drill bit, turned by hand to preclude sparking a fire, will work. If they're curved, I don't know.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fittings just thread into the tank so they should be able to be removed with no problem. Once they are out I would install plugs in the holes so the coating doesn't mess up the threads. If you decide you need a whole new repro tank let me know.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:01 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano

Frank
The boating industry in South Florida are having a lot of problems due to ethanol,and fiberglass tanks. Boat owners have been told to remove the glass tanks,and replace with metal. Its a serious problem,that could lead to engine failure. I would get with a marine store and see if there is a sealer that's available that will work on fiberglass,and is impervious to ethanol. Either that,or change to racing gas,or av gas.

Last edited by 65 vette dude; 06-15-2009 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice for repairing fiberglass gas tank