C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 Honduras Maroon Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default 62 Honduras Maroon Paint question

Planning on having some paint applied to my 62 in the near future, and have seen a lot of Honduras Maroon paint jobs over the years - some "look" like my paint, but most others are all over the map - tint wise.

Mine is a BC/CC paint that was done prior to my purchasing the Vette, so I have no history of who did it (or with what paint manufacturer).

However, I did buy some pints of both Lacquer and Enamel (both Dupont) from an old time paint supplier shortly after getting the Vette in 1999 for touch up purposes. Both of these paints match the existing paint perfectly. However, he went out of business shortly thereafter.

Now the question: Has any one had a Honduras Maroon BC/CC paint job done that they thought was an exact match for the original paint? And if so, please advise paint manufacturer and any paint codes.

Thanks,
Plasticman
Old 06-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I thought mine was close to original; then I parked beside another maroon '61 at a car show and mine looked awfully bronze. Then I reviewed my dash pad pictures where I believed the paint under the pad was original and its actually a pretty close match to my new exterior paint. But I'm not sure exactly how close you can get with modern BC/CC techniques; but you are welcome to my paint codes if you like what you see when you come by this week.
Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Paint_Codes.doc (19.5 KB, 197 views)
Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

John - Closest match I got was from Tower Paint. I ordered some of their spray cans for a touch up and it blended great., Of course, they can mix the qts & gallpons the same. The big problem with modern paints is that all the tint colors used to blend have all changed, i.e. what is "white" today is not the same shade as the "white" back then, etc. If a paint place "scans" a chip, you don't know if the chip even is the correct color due to ageing and how it was stored all those years. One way, although it wouldn't be cheap, is to get a place like Hiberna Restorations which still mixes lacquer, make a pint, spray it and then match in BC/CC. Any place that mixes from the formula will be using the new tints which will result in a close, but not perfect match.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

John
try Dave at MacDonald Top Line here in Inverness, 344-4185. he matched my 30 year old Roman Red lacquer perfectly in BC/CC when no one else in town even had the formula. he can mix you a small can of single stage (which i use for touch-up) to see how the color looks to you.
Bill
Old 06-18-2009, 08:42 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

High end (which are the only places to which you'll be taking your car) body and paint shops have or have access to a machine, a spectro-something or other, that will be able to go up to your existing paint, photo and analyze it, and match it with amazing accuracy. Even if it's faded, or changed over the years. The manufacturer codes are starting places only for the paint blend. I believe that sometimes the shop can call out the local tech rep from the paint manufacturer to do or help do this. Ask the shop.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default hibernia response

>From: "hibernia" <staff@hiberniaautorestorers.com>
>To: "
>Subject: Re: Dupont acrlyic lacquer
>Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:26:23 -0400
>
>Dear Mr. Mish,
>
> DuPont is no longer in acrylic lacquer. The 1961 Corvette color code
>is 523 - Honduras Maroon Poly (metallic).
>
> We can make the color in acrylic lacquer with a factory formula in
>PPG's chemicals. If you are doing an overall paint job, then the formula
>will be fine. If you plan on doing blend-in work, there is no color
>assurance for several reasons; one is that the paint is forty four years
>old assuming it is original, two is, has the car been repainted, three is,
>if the car now has DuPont paint on it, no other paint manufacturer's color
>will or can match the other's (PPG, R-M, Limco, Acme, etc., to DuPont).
>
> Scanning a color is not a science that can be relied on. It is only
>for a database reference for a color that is within 'range', i.e., must be
>tinted and blended for any satisfactory results, if any at all.
>
> The cost for the Honduras Maroon Poly in acrylic lacquer is currently
>at $445.00/gal plus UPS shipping and handling charges, unless you come up
>to pick it up yourself.
>
> If you decide to purchase the paint, please call at 973-627-1882 for
>prompt service to place your order.
>
> Thank you for choosing Hibernia Auto Restoration to provide services
>for you and your restoration project.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Joe Cahill
>General Manager
>Hibernia Auto Restoration
Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I dealt with some of the scanner/cameras before settling on my paint and they are a wonderful piece of technology...but the final mix requires the practiced eye of an experienced painter.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Thanks guys! As you see from the responses, nothing is guaranteed unless I purchase actual samples (after my existing paint is scanned) and then try them myself. Been there, done that..........just costly and time consuming.

And from doing some painting of metallics in the past, I know that application is part of the process that will cause variances in paint appearance.

Just as an aside, had one vehicle that I gave the correct paint code for a yellow I wanted applied. Painter calls up and says he swore I wanted "yellow", and yet it looks beige (I hate beige vehicles!). Go out to the paint shop, and sure enough the whole car is painted an fugly beige. Painter talks to the paint supplier, and yep, the paint suppier screwed up and transposed a couple of numbers. Car has to be restripped, painter has to reapply paint, and I am late getting my wife's daily driver back...........no one was "happy"!

Thanks again,
Plasticman
Old 06-18-2009, 08:59 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Honduras Maroon is very "brown". The base/clear urethanes tend to show more metallic, and cause a little lighter look. The metallic is what causes the light to dark color change. The base coat has to be put on wet, to allow the "flakes" to roll into their proper reflective position. High pressure and over thinning will cause a lighter color. Low pressure and light thinning will cause the color to be darker. PPG's formulas are pretty good. You can call Joy at Ben's Paint Supply in Orlando, 407-428-0140, and have her mix you a sample. Tell her I sent you, so you'll get my price. Hope this helps. Mike Coletta
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by fdreano
I dealt with some of the scanner/cameras before settling on my paint and they are a wonderful piece of technology...but the final mix requires the practiced eye of an experienced painter.
Frank
you've touched on a point that is often missed, the simple spraying of metallic paints can also affect the color in the way that the metallic lays in the color. the painter himself/herself can affect the color..
Bill
Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by wmf62
Frank
you've touched on a point that is often missed, the simple spraying of metallic paints can also affect the color in the way that the metallic lays in the color. the painter himself/herself can affect the color..
Bill
Exactly, which is what Mike is saying above. If you remember my old paint job Bill, it was poorly done. The pressure of application or the thinness of the paint was wrong and so there were 'splotchy' areas of metal flake where it had pooled and other places where it was thin. Had to get within about 3'-4' to really see it but definitely not as nice a job as I have now.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by 61retro
Honduras Maroon is very "brown". The base/clear urethanes tend to show more metallic, and cause a little lighter look. The metallic is what causes the light to dark color change. The base coat has to be put on wet, to allow the "flakes" to roll into their proper reflective position. High pressure and over thinning will cause a lighter color. Low pressure and light thinning will cause the color to be darker. PPG's formulas are pretty good. You can call Joy at Ben's Paint Supply in Orlando, 407-428-0140, and have her mix you a sample. Tell her I sent you, so you'll get my price. Hope this helps. Mike Coletta
Mike (and Frank & Bill),

Will see you all tomorrow, and thanks.

Plasticman

Get notified of new replies

To 62 Honduras Maroon Paint question

Quick Reply: 62 Honduras Maroon Paint question