C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Engine noise...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:07 PM
jackjrp
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1963 Engine noise...

I was hoping someone could advise whether I have a problem...
I have a '63 with a 327 that runs great but I notice a faint knock sound when I shut the engine off (may 2 or 3 taps, just before the engine stops...very faint though, not a hard knock). This only occurs when I have driven the car for a while and it's thoroughly warm. If you start from cold and shut it down immediately you do not hear it. Also, the engine does not knock, tick, etc. at all when running and the oil pressure at all RPM's seems normal. I've only had the car for a few months so I'm not familiar yet with all the 'normal' noise so I might be obsessing over nothing. Any advice/comments would be appreciated!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its probably just due to heat. Im not sure where you are located, but it is miserably hot in the SouthEast right now. Iron heads get extremely hot and if you have the stock compression ratio, then i bet the excessive heat is causing the air fuel mixture to ignite after you shut the the ignition switch off.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:49 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

kind of sounds like my engine(engine rattle) at low idle and warmed up at times. i am not going to worry since pressure is good and noise does not
increase with rpms. jim
Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by jackjrp
I have a '63 with a 327 that runs great but I notice a faint knock sound when I shut the engine off (may 2 or 3 taps, just before the engine stops...very faint though, not a hard knock). This only occurs when I have driven the car for a while and it's thoroughly warm.
Is it dieseling (running-on) when you shut it off? Does the engine shudder on the mounts when it makes the knock sound, or does it just stop but make a noise while doing so?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

It sounds like a brief run-on (dieseling like John says). To eliminate it, ensure that the distributor's vacuum advance is hooked to full manifold vacuum. From the extra rpm that that creates, you'll have to lower (re-adjust) your curb idle speed, which in turn, reduces the amount of mixture passing the throttle butterflies. Then there is insufficient fuel left to burn after the ignition is cut off.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:41 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Check the exhaust system. It may be grounding somewhere when you shut the engine off.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:15 PM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If a 4 speed, and you are shutting it off in neutral, it could be cluster/input clearance noise. It is nothing to worry about if it is. Try shutting off with trans in gear and clutch in. If no noise that is it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Engine noise...

Quick Reply: 1963 Engine noise...