C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 - Rear axle Brake Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Pooch1948
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1 - Rear axle Brake Bracket

This is on a 1961. I need to fabricate and weld on a new "L" shaped brake block mounting bracket on the rear axle. The original was rusted away and long gone. Could someone check to see if it is dimensionally the same as the bracket used to mount the brake hose on the front frame of the car? Also does the bracket face forward or to the rear?

Thanks,
Pooch
Old 06-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

No not the same (at least on my 62).

The front brackets are 1.525" wide (vertical measurement, as they are mounted on the side). Whereas the rear bracket is 1.325" wide.

The front brackets extend 1.817" away from the frame. Whereas the rear bracket measures 1.480".

Also, the "L" portion is much shorter on the rear bracket at about .600", and is angled away from the vertical section at a much more shallower angle (abiut 30 degrees).

The "L" is attached to the top rear rolled section of the rear axle tube, with the bottom of the "L" angled down and rearward. The vertical section is more forward (closer to the centerline of the axle), and extends upward from there.

Plasticman
Old 06-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Pooch1948
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Plasticman!!! Your description is very clear. I would have been lost without it. Now back to the garage.

Pooch

Get notified of new replies

To C1 - Rear axle Brake Bracket

Quick Reply: C1 - Rear axle Brake Bracket