C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

knuckle bolt Grade??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 PM
newcastlegreg
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Default C2 knuckle bolt Grade??- Urgent need answer tonight

I finally got my lower knuckle bolt and nut monunting kit from Dr rebuild for my c2. The new bolts have 3 slashes. As I am doing a frame off I am storing all the original hardware. I noticed the original bolts had 5 slashes with a w in the center. These are critical bolts as they hold the front knuckles and caliper brackets. Now maybe I changed those bolts many years ago to a higher grade and they are not the originals...Does anyone know if the 3 slashes is ok?? I do know the higher grade bolts can be brittle. Just want to make sure.

Last edited by newcastlegreg; 06-26-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: change
Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

3 lines-Grade 5
5 lines-Grade 8

Personally, I'd prefer Grade 8 bolts for this application.

Tom Parsons
Old 06-26-2009, 01:48 PM
newcastlegreg
Racer

Default Not sure

I know grade 8 is stronger but it could be more brittle on shear. I know I am being a granny on this. Just called paragon and they sell grade 8 for this application. Would feel most comfortable going with what they originally came with.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:24 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by newcastlegreg
I know grade 8 is stronger but it could be more brittle on shear.
When you run into a brittle Grade 8 bolt, you've almost certainly got one that was made overseas with inconsistent quality control. Because so many "grade 8" bolts and nuts are made offshore, and because I've had issues with them having inconsistent heat treatment, I don't trust any of them.

For critical applications, like holding on suspension or brake parts, the only bolt head logo I use reads "ARP".

Jim
Old 06-26-2009, 05:43 PM
newcastlegreg
Racer

Default Need more input!!

I want to put my hubs on tonight-already have the dr rebuild 3 slash bolts on and torqued. Can anyone tell me what origonals are-I have my originals ready to go if they are the originals.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I just did this yesterday on my 67. The bolts I took out were grade 8 with 5 lines and "M" headmark (probably the "W" yours have). I believe these to be correct, but had some damaged threads from being loose on the drivers side (yikes!).

I ordered all my replacement fasteners from Paragon based on experience (they have the highest winning percentage of sending quality and and correctness in my book). These fasteners are Grade 8 (6 lines) and marked "LE". They install with crimp nuts on the inside. Torque to 60-80 ft-lbs.

Get notified of new replies

To knuckle bolt Grade??

Quick Reply: knuckle bolt Grade??