C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

convertible top

Old 06-28-2009, 12:08 AM
badgerdog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default convertible top

First I would like to thank everyone for all the good information I have received from this site so far. My question tonight is...why do the corners on the convertible top hit on the deck lid? It's a 59, the top fits good up but not down. You can see where the outside corners have been rubbing for a long time. (I've only had the car for 90 days and 2000 miles) Thanks, George.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by badgerdog
.... the top fits good up but not down. You can see where the outside corners have been rubbing for a long time. Thanks, George.
By "corners" do you mean the end of the rubber on the header bow ? When the top is down its shape is referred to as the 'stack'. Getting the top to reach all the way to the header bow and still meet the tops of the side windows properly often works against making the 'stack' smaller and the top may touch the deck lid when down with the lid closed. The same with the frame touching the seat backs when the top is down...if you completely adjust this out then the center of the top bow often hits the deck lid latch when raising/lowering the top as the frame is adjusted farther towards the back on the car. This is my understanding after reading a lot before preparing to install my new top...wound up paying an installer and it was a good move.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-28-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:21 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

George,
Your pictures aren't showing up, but my guess is that the rack was not adjusted high enough when the top was put on. The back of the the top, at the hinge point needs to come up, and the window glass adjusted to fit. This adjustment also affects the attenuating(sp) arms, which are the inboard brackets. This is NOT an easy fix. A good top shop may be able to straighten it out a little. It's a common mistake with a rookie install. Mike Coletta
Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

2000 miles in 3 months ? I'd say you're getting your money's worth.

Anyway...I've just read about it and Mike's done it (a lot)...including my top...
Old 06-28-2009, 12:15 PM
badgerdog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I'll live with it for the summer and try to find a good shop this winter. As for my monies worth, you bet the paint is poor but it looks ok from 10 feet. Which is fine because it seems lots of people have to touch it. Mechanically it seems to have only minor issues. Thanks again, George

Get notified of new replies

To convertible top

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: convertible top