C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 Front End Alignment Question - Caster

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by AZDoug
You mean like maniacs? Hell yes we do!
lawdhavmercy.... somebody save me.

What I really need is 20 minutes on a skid pad to find out what the car is going to do, but taking a $2K Bondurant class,and also being told I can't use my car on their track to boot, rules that out.

Doug
I don't know of any schools or driving clubs that would let you on a track without some kind of roll structure.

However.....

Look around for a drifting club in your area. $50 entry fee and $50 for some disposable tires and you'll be able to experience snap oversteer first hand!

Oh, and mount a video camera!

Jim

Last edited by jim lockwood; 07-13-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:45 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Now that sounds like a great idea!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
dIs the lack of the Caster being in the 2 degree range the cause of the squirreliness I'm seeing? Mike T.
Originally Posted by DZAUTO
The more I re-read your comments, the more I suspect that you have some problems at the A-frame joints, which may be causing your A-frames to "move around" during driving conditions, which is significantly changing your alignment! Tom Parsons
Tom's the solid-axle suspension guru, and control arms moving around can give you compliance oversteer (squirreliness).

You may not have oversteer at the limit (car spins) but still have compliance oversteer (you have to countersteer while cornering). My '65 (stiff springs, low-profile tires) is squirreley in a high-g corner...I am sawing at the wheel in a high-g sweeping corner. I have new rubber suspension bushings, but I would expect to reduce the sawing if I went to polyurethane or aluminum.

I put stiff springs and low-profile tires on my '59, and don't remember it being very squirreley. It sure didn't want to track straight anymore, and rode like an unloaded F-350. (I removed the stiff springs in the 80s).

The C4 has no compliance oversteer. You just dial-in the steering...no sawing at the wheel.

Quick Reply: '61 Front End Alignment Question - Caster