C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bob Dye 57 Corvette Race Car - Herbie The Love Bug

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:37 PM
YesA59
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bob Dye 57 Corvette Race Car - Herbie The Love Bug

During one of my chats with Bob Dye (who raced my 57 Corvette in B Production SCCA races from 1967 to 1973), Bob asked me if I had ever seen the original Herbie The Love Bug movie. He advised me to take a fresh look at the movie. So I rented the DVD...Cool!!!!!

The Herbie movie was shot in California circa 1967-1968, and shows a number of SCCA race scenes. The best part for me - the start of a race at Laguna Seca. My #43 race car is clearly visible four rows back on the infield side.

Three rows back on the starter side is a Ferrari owned and raced by David Love. David stills owns and vintage races the Frerrari, and lives only 10 miles away from me.

Five rows back on the starter side is a blue 56 Corvette raced by Jim Williams. That car has a new owner, and I have sent him the Herbie footage.

Herbie - Laguna Start for Windows (about 4.5MB)

Herbie - Laguna Start for Mac (about 4.5MB)

After the Herbie movie ended, my gut told me to look thru all the extra footage that the Studios put on DVDs these days. BINGO!!! My #43 received some good screen time in one of the original Herbie Promos.

The best part - Bob Dye had never seen the promo, so that was new to him. You can see Bob working on the car, and he had no idea that he was being filmed.

Herbie Promo for Windows (About 8BM)

Herbie Promo for Mac (about 8MB)

A year ago, I thought I was about done finding stuff related to my Bob Dye race car. I was wrong. The hunt goes on, and just gets better.

Russ
Old 07-18-2009, 02:51 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

now that is too cool......thanks for sharing....
Old 07-18-2009, 03:42 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Great discovery Russ, I have seen this movie several times, if nothing else just to look at the race cars. Now that you got me looking at the promo film I can see a '65 GTO just like my old one and a couple of Triumph twins. Also diggin' the Citroen station wagon (or is that a shooting brake ?). I have watched David Love grind on that 250TR several ytimes at the Historics and have spoken with himn about his car, he is a very pleasant individual with an incredible piece of '50's "Mechannica Rosso".

Ray
Old 07-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Qblue92
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I noticed a car that looked like your car while I was watching a Herbie movie and forgot to go back and see if it was yours. Very cool that it was.

Get notified of new replies

To Bob Dye 57 Corvette Race Car - Herbie The Love Bug

Quick Reply: Bob Dye 57 Corvette Race Car - Herbie The Love Bug