C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

manual master on 4 wheel disc brakes? Can't find thread?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Interesting that the new Wagner F59051 master cylinder that Bill sold to me does not have any residual pressure valves in the seats (I put a thin probe through the ports and felt no resistance until the end of the port goes upward).

Note that this master cylinder is no longer available from Wagner.

John (plasticman)
Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

How tuff is that plug to get out...?

Stan..
Old 07-23-2009, 03:17 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
How tuff is that plug to get out...?

Stan..
Not bad. I did as Viking427 suggested and screwed in a drywall screw and pulled it out with a claw hammer.

Charles
Old 07-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok thanks..Charles

Stan..
Old 07-23-2009, 04:13 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Interesting that the new Wagner F59051 master cylinder that Bill sold to me does not have any residual pressure valves in the seats (I put a thin probe through the ports and felt no resistance until the end of the port goes upward).

Note that this master cylinder is no longer available from Wagner.

John (plasticman)
then maybe mine doesn't either.... but, as long as i'm not having a problems with drag i'm not going to take it apart to find out..
Bill
Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
then maybe mine doesn't either.... but, as long as i'm not having a problems with drag i'm not going to take it apart to find out..
Bill
http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/052DCB...-995E1300EB94/
Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
That looks "really" good Herb. Nice! Have you driven it much yet...? How does it feel...is it what you were after..??

I like the idea of a remote pump very much. But I thought I'd look at all the old post once again before I dropped a grand. I like simple too....."if" it can be made to work well.

I remember you having some issues with the manual stuff. Hard pedal and slow stops or ...??

Thanks ..Stan..
just not a good pedal feel. I think someone stated it best, we are used to a particular type of pedal feel from driving cars with power brakes and going to the manual it just didnt feel the same. I found that talking with some of the Chips Choice guys last year that several of them felt the same way and most went to the Hydroboost set up off the power steering pump. But my '60 doesnt have power steering either, so to add it meant having to add the pump and a bracket and soon I was at the number I am at with the electric version in terms of total dollars.

I thought the electric version would keep the engine compartment very clean, since the money was a toss up in terms of total dollars, it made sense to go with the system I could hide the easiest.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apologies to all for not chiming in with the info on the internal residual valves a couple months ago when the C1 dual port master cylinder thread occurred but I didn't actually have one of the Mopar masters in my hands to tinker with until recently when a friend enlisted my help to design a 4 wheel disc system for his C1.

We'll be attempting to modify the C2/C3 front & rear disc setup for it. 11.75" dia. x 1.25" thick, vented rotors, 4-pot cast iron fixed calipers on all 4 corners, excellent rigidity & heat tolerance, all fitting under 15" wheels. Way over-engineered for back then, built like a tank and still impressive by todays braking standards. I'm finding most of todays C1 disk conversion kits have migrated to smaller (10.5", 11.00", 11.50") and thinner (.80", 1.00") rotors with the large GM single piston calipers, or use the latest whiz-bang aluminum calipers, drilled rotors etc. Good & fine for street use, but his car will see some track duty and he also wants readily available parts (seals, pads) that he can get at any auto parts store.

Lemme see now, gotta mill a recess into the C3 rear caliper mount to accomodate the C1's bearing retainer plate so the mount sits flush against the C1 housing flange, then just bolt on a C3 rear disk/parking brake assembly. The 1969 Camaro had c-clips, so they simply welded a different flange onto their rear housing that bolted up to the stock 69 vette rear brake assembly and called it the JL-8 option ..no rocket science about that

Hmmm.. now if I can just locate a vendor that still supplies the front caliper brackets designed for the OEM C2/3 Kelsey Hayes cast iron 4-pot calipers, they've all gone to the large GM single caliper brackets now. Might have to make our own or modify the factory C3 front brackets for the C1 spindle. ...fun fun fun
Old 07-23-2009, 06:04 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Viking427
Apologies to all for not chiming in with the info on the internal residual valves a couple months ago when the C1 dual port master cylinder thread occurred but I didn't actually have one of the Mopar masters in my hands to tinker with until recently when a friend enlisted my help to design a 4 wheel disc system for his C1.

We'll be attempting to modify the C2/C3 front & rear disc setup for it. 11.75" dia. x 1.25" thick, vented rotors, 4-pot cast iron fixed calipers on all 4 corners, excellent rigidity & heat tolerance, all fitting under 15" wheels. Way over-engineered for back then, built like a tank and still impressive by todays braking standards. I'm finding most of todays C1 disk conversion kits have migrated to smaller (10.5", 11.00", 11.50") and thinner (.80", 1.00") rotors with the large GM single piston calipers, or use the latest whiz-bang aluminum calipers, drilled rotors etc. Good & fine for street use, but his car will see some track duty and he also wants readily available parts (seals, pads) that he can get at any auto parts store.

Lemme see now, gotta mill a recess into the C3 rear caliper mount to accomodate the C1's bearing retainer plate so the mount sits flush against the C1 housing flange, then just bolt on a C3 rear disk/parking brake assembly. The 1969 Camaro had c-clips, so they simply welded a different flange onto their rear housing that bolted up to the stock 69 vette rear brake assembly and called it the JL-8 option ..no rocket science about that

Hmmm.. now if I can just locate a vendor that still supplies the front caliper brackets designed for the OEM C2/3 Kelsey Hayes cast iron 4-pot calipers, they've all gone to the large GM single caliper brackets now. Might have to make our own or modify the factory C3 front brackets for the C1 spindle. ...fun fun fun
Why wouldn't you just go into the auto parts store and say........
Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=firstgear

I thought the electric version would keep the engine compartment very clean, since the money was a toss up in terms of total dollars, it made sense to go with the system I could hide the easiest.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely right...you have done so much to keep it sanitary, the electric pump is perfect for your car in my view.

Stan..
Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by firstgear
just not a good pedal feel. I think someone stated it best, we are used to a particular type of pedal feel from driving cars with power brakes and going to the manual it just didnt feel the same. I found that talking with some of the Chips Choice guys last year that several of them felt the same way and most went to the Hydroboost set up off the power steering pump. But my '60 doesnt have power steering either, so to add it meant having to add the pump and a bracket and soon I was at the number I am at with the electric version in terms of total dollars.

I thought the electric version would keep the engine compartment very clean, since the money was a toss up in terms of total dollars, it made sense to go with the system I could hide the easiest.
Herb
unless i somehow missed it, please tell me again what electic power brakes you used.
Bill
Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Good brake info here , thanks a lot guys
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Herb
unless i somehow missed it, please tell me again what electic power brakes you used.
Bill
ttt
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it was ABSPB's
http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ehpm.html

Herb
Bill
Old 08-22-2016, 03:28 PM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to drag this old post up but I am just about fitting C4 disc's to my 59 and planning to machine mopar master to fit. Anything new on this?

Old 08-22-2016, 04:58 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

nothing that I know of...

but I think you will have something to add... like how you are going to put C4 calipers and rotors on the rear axle.

back before the single piston calipers came out I put 65 calipers/rotors on the front of my 62; still had drums on the rear.

then when I swapped out the original front end for IFS I went with the single caliper calipers that came with the TCI 'kit' and then later upgraded to a larger diameter piston caliper.

then I upgraded to discs for the rear using Cadillac Seville calipers/rotors which have a parking brake.

what do you intend to use for a rear parking brake? or are you going to use one?

Bill
Old 08-23-2016, 04:22 PM
bowtie racing
Drifting

nothing that I know of...

but I think you will have something to add... like how you are going to put C4 calipers and rotors on the rear axle.

back before the single piston calipers came out I put 65 calipers/rotors on the front of my 62; still had drums on the rear.

then when I swapped out the original front end for IFS I went with the single caliper calipers that came with the TCI 'kit' and then later upgraded to a larger diameter piston caliper.

then I upgraded to discs for the rear using Cadillac Seville calipers/rotors which have a parking brake.

what do you intend to use for a rear parking brake? or are you going to use one?

Bill

Hello Bill,

Front is easy, my friend is right now machining alumium hubs to save some weight. At the same time adapter brackets for mounting front calibers are made.

C4 rear caliber has build in parking brake. Plan to mount them on axle flange.

Get notified of new replies

To manual master on 4 wheel disc brakes? Can't find thread?

Old 08-23-2016, 05:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bowtie racing
Hello Bill,

Front is easy, my friend is right now machining alumium hubs to save some weight. At the same time adapter brackets for mounting front calibers are made.

C4 rear caliber has build in parking brake. Plan to mount them on axle flange.
FWIW, the C2 rotors will fit right on the C1 hubs, no modifications needed except longer studs.

Bill
Attached Images  

Last edited by wmf62; 08-23-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:08 PM
bowtie racing
Drifting

FWIW, the C2 rotors will fit right on the C1 hubs, no modifications needed except longer studs.

Bill
Bill you are absolutely right. I am looking for small weight reduction aa well. And i am plan using 13" rotors machined down just to fit in 16" wheels.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bowtie racing
Bill you are absolutely right. I am looking for small weight reduction aa well. And i am plan using 13" rotors machined down just to fit in 16" wheels.

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: manual master on 4 wheel disc brakes? Can't find thread?