C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

license plate restoration

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:33 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Default license plate restoration

I did a search here and could not find a recommendation of who to use...

Can someone give me some leads on who to use?

thanks

jack
Old 07-31-2009, 11:48 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Just based on a quick search I found this. Not sure about their service, as I have personally not used them. I usually just restore them myself. The metal bending (fixing dents, creases, etc.) are usually the most difficult. But if your plates are straight, just use a blast cabinet to strip or even a wire wheeled brush attached to the drill to clean them and repaint them in the original colors...

http://www.vintageplaterestoration.com/
http://www.oldlicensefarm.com/

Last edited by bluestreak63; 07-31-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Silverblue64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this one: www.tagdr.com

I have used Ron before and have been very satisfied. He is very detail oriented and gets the colors as exact as possible.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:10 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Just note that some states may not approve restored "vintage" plates. Florida being one of them.

I found a great unrestored plate, and had to send it to the Florida DOT for it to be approved.

Plasticman
Old 07-31-2009, 12:14 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

I used a restorer in Vernon,Texas named Gerald Thiele. He did a low number '64 Oklahoma plate for me years ago that I am still running on my '64 Riviera. Retired guy, great to deal with, very resonable prices and a super finished product. I'll see if I can find his phone number for you at my home later this weekend.

Ray
Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Larry Hoeft. Did a pair for me 10 years ago for $60 plus shipping.

idhoeft@aol.com
Old 07-31-2009, 07:25 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

1. Mojoartworks.com. Excellent quality. Reasonable price. Decent turn-around time. Very satisfied customer. I got this recommendation from the license plate collector guys.

2. Don't use Darryl's. Quality is supposed to be good. Price is OK. Turn-around time is forever. After 6 months, many phone calls, and lots of promises, I had him return my plates. Nice guy, and I believe he means well, but his business gets away from him.

3. Get the plates restored after you register your car with them. Most states require you to bring them in for their examination before your RMV will let you use them. Most states don't allow you to restore them.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 PM
drivette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Ju-Ju with Mojo

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
1. Mojoartworks.com. Excellent quality. Reasonable price. Decent turn-around time. Very satisfied customer. I got this recommendation from the license plate collector guys.

2. Don't use Darryl's. Quality is supposed to be good. Price is OK. Turn-around time is forever. After 6 months, many phone calls, and lots of promises, I had him return my plates. Nice guy, and I believe he means well, but his business gets away from him.

3. Get the plates restored after you register your car with them. Most states require you to bring them in for their examination before your RMV will let you use them. Most states don't allow you to restore them.
I too had my plates restored, by Mojo, a good experience all the way around.

Get notified of new replies

To license plate restoration

Quick Reply: license plate restoration