C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

California YOM license plates

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Well, well, well...The DMV is all messed up as usual...two different places two different outcomes.

the first DMV here in my hometown, says one thing, that i need to purchase a 1966 tag to put on the plate so they can photo-copy it and send that to Sac.

The second one alot smaller and one hour away.

I was at a show-n-shine this last saturday and was talking to some locals that have gone through the process at there Local DMV...they said talk to this certain fellow and he will get you in and out in ten minutes...so i drove back up there, "one hour...one way" and with pink/old plates/ and the white plates in hand to turn in along with checkbook...i was in and out in ten minutes just like he said...did'nt have to purchase a tag from someone online and saved 60-70 dollars, no photocopy, paid 45 dollars for the new pink and the car is reg. with the OLD BLACK/YELLOW plates, i just have to wait for the stickers and new pink to be mailed to me...
I think if one takes all the stuff needed with them to SMALLER dmv offices things will go alot smoother...

jack
Old 09-02-2009, 07:41 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I would guess that your car was replated for some reason in late 67 or early 68. Or else it sat new and unsold for two years for some odd reason. My early 67 VW (built and sold in fall 1966 in San Diego area) still wears its black plates starting with T. To my knowledge, T was the first letter on CAL plates for the 1967 model year. I believe late 66 year cars received the S series. I think this is pretty darned accurate :
"My research has shown the 1963-69 year-by-year, letter allocation breakdown has some overlap, but generally plates BEGINNING with the following letters correspond to the year of issue: ABCD= 1963, EFGHI=1964, JKLMN=1965, OPQRS=1966, TUVW=1967, WXYZ=1968-69. "

I just bought a 65 from the original owner. It has the original black plates that were issued on 4-28-1965 (I have all the original paperwork including the matching mini plate for your key ring). The plate starts with the letter "N". The car was purchased new in Pasadena.

Jim
Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 PM
vfw post 11548
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe you need the "letter sequence" to be correct to get the plates you have recently aquired issued to you now, it's up to the individual car owner if its really important to them ( note: my brothers two roadrunners and my other brothers camero,all 69"s begin with P ) so theres probably truth to the sequence fact ,theory,story or whatever, but remember if the car was in an accident, or had the plates stolen etc. they would issue new plates no matter the sequence....case in point my 64 vette coupe had the orginal plates ( at least I think they were orginal) no title or registration for any years after 10 years vehicles drop off the computer so I'm told anyway, got the title squared away and tried to put the black plates on ,DMV reponded that I had to have a least one copy of a yearly registration to prove they had been on the car,of course I had nothing so I got stuck with the white plates.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:10 PM
vfw post 11548
Heel & Toe

cont...so now with the new law I will put the "orginal "plates on but be stuck with the yearly YOM fee and the extra year and month sticker , (like my 55 chev conv, it has a 51 plate with tin 55 tag ) 64 was first year for (metalcal ? type tag)...but then again I can't see the problem of just applying the new month and year tags directly to the plate like the other orginial plates ( like my brothers) whose to know? I have a pair of 63 MFG plates I'll put on for shows only(on my split window) fairly sure I'll never get them registered to the car..LOL
Old 10-18-2009, 10:46 PM
turbocat
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

IT is now the middle of October and I am on my second temp sticker waiting for final approval. When I went to the local DMV in September they said that Sacramento was way behind , so they gave me the second temp sticker. I figure that by Christmas I'll be on my third temp sticker!! Government can't do anything on time or on cost!! I can hardly wait for health care reform to take place!!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:49 AM
bluovl
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am also on my second temp. sticker. I started this process on July 1st. At the end of September the DMV notified me that my application had been refused because I only paid $12.00 and they want $45.00. Well I knew that when I posted the fees but the DMV would not accept any more than $12.00. So I paid the difference and now I wait another three months...

Has anyone heard of anyone who has completed this process?

Thanks, Peter
Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 PM
turbocat
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bluovl
I am also on my second temp. sticker. I started this process on July 1st. At the end of September the DMV notified me that my application had been refused because I only paid $12.00 and they want $45.00. Well I knew that when I posted the fees but the DMV would not accept any more than $12.00. So I paid the difference and now I wait another three months...

Has anyone heard of anyone who has completed this process?

Thanks, Peter
Today I finally received my stickers for my yom plates. With the stickers came two little metal tabs to put the stickers on, but no instructions where to put the tabs. I have been driving my car with the black plates and no temp sticker (it was susposed to be put on the front windshield) since July without being stopped ,so I think I'll just put the stickers and metal tabs in the glove box and see what happens.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:58 PM
66jack
Team Owner

I'm still waiting for my Pink and stickers...probably have to get another temp...this one expires end of October..

jack
Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
bluovl
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default It worked!

Well, after waiting since July 1st, calling and visiting the DMV more times than I can count my YOM application was finally approved. I got stickers and registration today in the mail today. It feels like I really accomplished something!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:13 PM
66jack
Team Owner

I received those little metal tabs along with the tags...two days after my last post..i did'nt use the metal tabs...i just stuck the tags on like they were supposed too...

jack
Old 11-28-2009, 01:51 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
If you are miserable about the POTUS move to North Korea but leave politics out of this forum
IMO one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in and the reason we have politicans that seem to care less what we the people think is because there is little communication on the grass roots level (seems most of the population is content to focus on the here and now and overlook the ripple-effect (which by the way may influence the security of our hobby). Granted this forum isn't a political forum but let the guy share his thoughts. He, at least, is trying to make an effort to get people thinking.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:12 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Default Govt makes you wait 6 months - no problem

Originally Posted by jcapps
If you are miserable about the POTUS move to North Korea but leave politics out of this forum
Originally Posted by 65 fi
IMO one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in and the reason we have politicans that seem to care less what we the people think is because there is little communication on the grass roots level (seems most of the population is content to focus on the here and now and overlook the ripple-effect (which by the way may influence the security of our hobby). Granted this forum isn't a political forum but let the guy share his thoughts. He, at least, is trying to make an effort to get people thinking.
BRAVO 65 fi, any thread about DMV idiocy will invariably contain comment on inefficient Govt bureaucracies. And that could lead to comments about the current political movement to create multiple huge new govt bureaucracies. The more people discuss the negative effects those will have on everyone, the better off we all may be. This present crop of politicians, starting with the man at the very top, is at war with 85% of the American population. One of the front lines of that war is the DMV counter. Others are the post office, social security office etc. God help us all if they take control of our health care.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:49 PM
vfw post 11548
Heel & Toe

sacramento must be way behind..I just got my liquor license in the mail two months late after payng fees on time, never happened before...had nothing posted in my bar except a canceled check showing I paid it..manpower crunch ??
Old 11-28-2009, 07:09 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
No, thank you for the advice however.
My comment was regarding potential Govt run healthcare and how it will be just like the DMV. I don't think you want that either. DMV is pure living hell, and the COinC's healthcare would be as bad, or worse.
I would guess worse.

I don't have to go to DMV, the Auto Club handles everything fast and convenient.

Wonder who'll step up to the plate for streamlined health care interfacing?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:20 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

letter allocation breakdown has some overlap, but generally plates BEGINNING with the following letters correspond to the year of issue: ABCD= 1963, EFGHI=1964, JKLMN=1965, OPQRS=1966, TUVW=1967, WXYZ=1968-69. .[/QUOTE]

My mother's 1964 Pontiac Catalina, bought new in California and registered in early 1964, had the letter prefix QYT. While my '64 C2, imported used from Nebraska and re-registered in late '64 or early '65, still wears black plates starting with OSD. Perhaps the system was a lot more random?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:28 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
I don't have to go to DMV, the Auto Club handles everything fast and convenient.

Wonder who'll step up to the plate for streamlined health care interfacing?
to the best of my knowledge, AAA only handles new registrations, renewals and transfers as a courtesy to its members. I do not think they will touch YOM registration or any number of other DMV processes. I think someone would have mentioned it here if they did. Because if they did, none of the masocists in this thread would have dealt with DMV to handle their YOM. Doesn't every savvy CAL driver have AAA?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:06 PM
jcapps
Drifting

Received 546 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi
They should have been thinking nine years ago. But I digress, this forum would not have a specific section for politics if they wanted the C2 general section to be political. Can we not come here and enjoy a common interest rather then what tears us apart.

Get notified of new replies

To California YOM license plates

Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read most of the posts, but no one I believe mentioned the DMV is closed 1 day a week now. A request for what your after will be at the bottom of the list of what to due next if we feel like list.

Were out of the big bucks in this state, mostly because of being a welfare state.

Dennis

Last edited by OCS1667; 11-28-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Scott333
Racer

Okay, I only became aware of this subject recently, and I've read all 58 posts here so far. I checked an online acronym dictionary, and I'm pretty sure "YOM" stands for "year of manufacture" (I was guessing "year of make" or "year of model").

The old black and yellow plates look great on these midyears. Was California the only state to have them? It seems like this Thread is about California plates only... what are the "original license plate" options (if any) for those of us who are NOT living in the Golden State?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 11-28-2009, 11:56 PM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott333
Okay, I only became aware of this subject recently, and I've read all 58 posts here so far. I checked an online acronym dictionary, and I'm pretty sure "YOM" stands for "year of manufacture" (I was guessing "year of make" or "year of model").

The old black and yellow plates look great on these midyears. Was California the only state to have them? It seems like this Thread is about California plates only... what are the "original license plate" options (if any) for those of us who are NOT living in the Golden State?

Thanks,

Scott
The YOM program is new for the black/yellow plates in CA. Many states have a similar program and rules vary. Check with your state's DMV for details. Or someone here can probably give you details for your state. I got better info here than the CA DMV site.

Quick Reply: California YOM license plates