C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

California YOM license plates

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:02 PM
bluovl
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default California YOM license plates

I started the process of having my black and yellow plates assigned to my 67 coupe on July 1st 2009. Still waiting for approval from Sacramento DMV. Is there anyone out there who has completed the process? Thanks Peter
Old 08-15-2009, 06:16 PM
turbocat
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bluovl
I started the process of having my black and yellow plates assigned to my 67 coupe on July 1st 2009. Still waiting for approval from Sacramento DMV. Is there anyone out there who has completed the process? Thanks Peter
I went to DMV on the first of July also. Have not heard anything from Sacramento either.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Default If we get Obamacare, seeing a doctor will be like that

Just think, if the Community Organizer in Chief gets his way, you will get to wait the same way for approval to see a doctor, and then wait again to see if you are approved for a procedure.
Dear God in heaven, please help us , , , ,
Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 PM
jcapps
Drifting

Received 546 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Just think, if the Community Organizer in Chief gets his way, you will get to wait the same way for approval to see a doctor, and then wait again to see if you are approved for a procedure.
Dear God in heaven, please help us , , , ,
If you are miserable about the POTUS move to North Korea but leave politics out of this forum
Old 08-15-2009, 09:28 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Default I think not

Originally Posted by jcapps
If you are miserable about the POTUS move to North Korea but leave politics out of this forum
No, thank you for the advice however.
My comment was regarding potential Govt run healthcare and how it will be just like the DMV. I don't think you want that either. DMV is pure living hell, and the COinC's healthcare would be as bad, or worse.
I would guess worse.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:39 PM
jcapps
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65hihp
No, thank you for the advice however.
My comment was regarding potential Govt run healthcare and how it will be just like the DMV. I don't think you want that either. DMV is pure living hell, and the COinC's healthcare would be as bad, or worse.
I would guess worse.

I am sure it will for you. Apparently you view everything as a way to make a negative statement, even on a car forum. If you are so smart why not run for office and do a better job instead of trying to destroy a forum for hobbyists.

I know there are plenty of right wing forums out there that you could get folks agreeing with you. Lets keep this forum what it was designed for and keep the bs out
Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Default I'm for that

Originally Posted by jcapps
I am sure it will for you. Apparently you view everything as a way to make a negative statement, even on a car forum. If you are so smart why not run for office and do a better job instead of trying to destroy a forum for hobbyists.

I know there are plenty of right wing forums out there that you could get folks agreeing with you. Lets keep this forum what it was designed for and keep the bs out
We are in complete agreement; keep the bs out

In the meantime, if you can, avoid doing business with Gov't agencies, such as DMV. Their purpose in life is to drive you crazy. Unfortunately there are no options when it comes to the YOM program.

ps - bluovl- sorry I grabbed your thread and twisted it. I hope you hear from our DMV friends soon and you can hang those black plates on your car.

Last edited by 65hihp; 08-15-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 AM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly is the process for approval? Do the plates get sent to Sacramento or pictures of the plates? I've got plates for my 65 but haven't made it to the DMV yet. I'm sure it will be painful.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:55 AM
turbocat
Racer

Originally Posted by mstanton
What exactly is the process for approval? Do the plates get sent to Sacramento or pictures of the plates? I've got plates for my 65 but haven't made it to the DMV yet. I'm sure it will be painful.
A copy of both front and rear plates was sent to Sacramento.It seems that it should just be a formality because the local DMV official already inspected the black plates,took my current plates off my car ,and took my money.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 PM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbocat
A copy of both front and rear plates was sent to Sacramento.It seems that it should just be a formality because the local DMV official already inspected the black plates,took my current plates off my car ,and took my money.
What are they inspecting? Condition? Originality? Any idea what would cause plates to be denied?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 PM
turbocat
Racer

Originally Posted by mstanton
What are they inspecting? Condition? Originality? Any idea what would cause plates to be denied?
That's a good question since the zerox copy of my plates that were sent to Sacramento was such poor quality that the only thing I could make out of it was the correct letter-number sequence.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:10 PM
GDD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going through the process for both black and yellow (CA). I have located both sets and they are verified "clear". Next step is DMV which (I understand) verifies the plates as clear) and approves. I have not heard from anyone I have discussed with that there are these delay's you all refer to.

Peter: I wish I had read this earlier as we could have discussed this morning. Again - nice car!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:22 PM
cweiner
Intermediate

Default Correct year needed

I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject, and one opinion is that it can't just be a black plate, it has to be a black plate from when the car was being made (for my 67, I'd need a plate with the letters correct for that year; the letters progressed by year, I think 67 they started with the latter letters of the alphabet.)
Also, one needs to have two plates (front/back); does anyone have a source? I can't seem to find any anywhere!
Thanks!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:24 PM
cweiner
Intermediate

Default YOM information

Here's some info from someone who's been through it, it might help (even it it was for a Plymouth!)
http://www.ply33.com/Misc/yom.html
Old 08-16-2009, 06:45 PM
jcapps
Drifting

What letters are good for 66? Is there a chart?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM
cweiner
Intermediate

Default YOM year letters

This is what I could find. I couldn't find it on the DMV site (what, some sort of secret?). Anyway, I found this posted on another forum, so I can't verify it's accuracy, but it seems pretty close.
Here's the URL to follow the thread on the MercuryCougar forum:

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...ad.php?t=43097

The 1963 series six digit, steel plate was configured beginning with three letters followed by three numbers. The 1970 series, aluminum plate was configured beginning with three numbers followed by three letters.

The 1963-69 series plate began alphabetically, with three letters beginning with AAA and ending in 1969 with approximately ZZW. Consequently, you can reasonably estimate the approximate year the plate was issued by the beginning three letters. For example, a plate beginning with D,E, F, G or H would have been isued in 1964. T, U or V would have been issued in 1967. W and X, 1968, Y and Z, 1969 and so on. So now, an entire era of great classic cars can run registered, correct year, original California plates and stickers (if you can find them).

IMPORTANT: DMV is asking (requiring?) that your YOM Black plates be correct year/letter range for your year vehicle. So, make sure your 63-69 Black plates correspond with your year vehicle. My research has shown the 1963-69 year-by-year, letter allocation breakdown has some overlap, but generally plates BEGINNING with the following letters correspond to the year of issue: ABCD= 1963, EFGHI=1964, JKLMN=1965, OPQRS=1966, TUVW=1967, WXYZ=1968-69. .
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM
turbocat
Racer

Originally Posted by cweiner
This is what I could find. I couldn't find it on the DMV site (what, some sort of secret?). Anyway, I found this posted on another forum, so I can't verify it's accuracy, but it seems pretty close.
Here's the URL to follow the thread on the MercuryCougar forum:

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...ad.php?t=43097

The 1963 series six digit, steel plate was configured beginning with three letters followed by three numbers. The 1970 series, aluminum plate was configured beginning with three numbers followed by three letters.

The 1963-69 series plate began alphabetically, with three letters beginning with AAA and ending in 1969 with approximately ZZW. Consequently, you can reasonably estimate the approximate year the plate was issued by the beginning three letters. For example, a plate beginning with D,E, F, G or H would have been isued in 1964. T, U or V would have been issued in 1967. W and X, 1968, Y and Z, 1969 and so on. So now, an entire era of great classic cars can run registered, correct year, original California plates and stickers (if you can find them).

IMPORTANT: DMV is asking (requiring?) that your YOM Black plates be correct year/letter range for your year vehicle. So, make sure your 63-69 Black plates correspond with your year vehicle. My research has shown the 1963-69 year-by-year, letter allocation breakdown has some overlap, but generally plates BEGINNING with the following letters correspond to the year of issue: ABCD= 1963, EFGHI=1964, JKLMN=1965, OPQRS=1966, TUVW=1967, WXYZ=1968-69. .
You must also have the correct year sticker for the plate.

Get notified of new replies

To California YOM license plates

Old 08-16-2009, 07:44 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by turbocat
You must also have the correct year sticker for the plate.

Thats what i was told last week....i have a 66 and need to find a 1966 tag "sticker" and place it on the plate before they would even take a look...

cweiner <<<>>""""ABCD= 1963, EFGHI=1964, JKLMN=1965, OPQRS=1966, TUVW=1967, WXYZ=1968-69.""""

You might be right on some aspect of the above quote... but i have a photograph of my 66, "build date of Dec 65"...and it starts with a "W".

jack
Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 PM
cweiner
Intermediate

Default Yom

That's why I qualified my posting as not being able to confirm the accuracy; I wonder who can? Doesn't sound like the DMV is a great deal of help here, and I know with the new law having gone into effect July 1, 2009 there must be alot of people asking.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:55 PM
jcapps
Drifting

So basically you need to find not only a 40 something year old plate in good shape but the sticker must also be in good shape

Quick Reply: California YOM license plates