C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Which vacuum port do I connect vacuum advance to?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:54 PM
GEBackbone
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Which vacuum port do I connect vacuum advance to?

I have a stock 283 with a 600 cfm holly carb. I set the timing to 5 degrees BTDC, with vacuum line plugged with golf tee. When I connect the vacuum line to the base of carb, the timing goes off scale approx 20 degrees BTDC. When vacuum advance is connected to the vacuum port on the metering body, towards the top, it doesn't really change timing.....Which port do I connect the vacuum advance to??.. the base or the metering body of carb.
Thanks in advnce Gary
Old 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Gary: Ported vacuum is off the metering block. This means no vacuum advance on idle. No vacuum until the throttle is opened a little bit. So you set the timing at 5 degree's btdc. with the vacuum line plugged. Connect vacuum line to the metering block you should still read 5 btdc on idle. Connect vacuum line to manifold vacuum ( base of carb ) you will get full vacuum on idle, which you see as 20 degree's btdc. Full vacuum on idle raises the rpm on the idle, so the idle would have to be adjusted lower. People run them both ways, I'm not sure why. Fuel economy, emissions, drive ability? Some cars do not have a ported vacuum and have to run manifold vacuum. Lots of people say run manifold vacuum, personally I use the ported vacuum off the metering block.
Dave
Old 08-16-2009, 04:04 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Connect it to the constant vacuum source and adjust your idle accordingly after setting your timing with it plugged. I can't think of a single reason to use ported vacuum. It was a design to reduce emissions(and performance).

Jim
Old 08-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

EDIT - Jim beat my post but I agree with him totally.

Correct....I run full vacuum (NOT ported) to my 283ci WCFB carb base to my aftermarket vaccum can and it works perfectly. Ported vacuum IIRC was for emissions engines...

With a little extra effort you can even hide the vacuum can under the original ignition shielding!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-16-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The angled nipple on the right front of the baseplate is the full manifold vacuum source.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I beleive this is what you want, recently switched mine:
Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 PM
DSR
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1snake
Connect it to the constant vacuum source and adjust your idle accordingly after setting your timing with it plugged. I can't think of a single reason to use ported vacuum. It was a design to reduce emissions(and performance).

Jim
How does the ported vacuum reduce emisssions ?

Or How does less timing on idle reduce emissions ?

And how does less timing on idle reduce performance? (The motor is only idling and at the very bottom of the performance scale)

Dave
Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DSR
How does the ported vacuum reduce emisssions ?

Or How does less timing on idle reduce emissions ?

And how does less timing on idle reduce performance? (The motor is only idling and at the very bottom of the performance scale)

Dave
As Jim stated, Ported vacuum was only used for an emissions reason - to help lower overall emission output to met federal requirements.
it was used in conjunction with other emissions equipment such as the A.I.R system, moving the t-stat level up from 180º to 195º etc and overall lower timing setting.

Full manifold vacuum gives you full vacuum advance at idle and ported vacuum advance gives you zero vacuum advance at idle.
Since running a lower timing setting (A retarded timing setting) typically causes higher operating temps (among other effects of lower timing) the motor engineers at the time took advantage of this effect - by lowering the initial timing setting AND running ported vacuum advance - hence no vacuum advance at idle - this caused operating temps to rise. They used these higher temps and the A.I.R. system to recirculate and burn off HC levels thereby lowering the amount of HC emissions

On your last question, full manifold vacuum gives you a more advanced timing at idle, one of the benefits is typically better throttle response compared to a lower initial timing setting and ported vacuum

for a lot more details on this topic, may i suggest reading the great timing article by John Hinckley (our forum member JohnZ).
It explains everything very well.
http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...101Article.pdf

Last edited by BarryK; 08-16-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:31 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
As Jim stated, Ported vacuum was only used for an emissions reason
This is a false statement.

Last edited by MikeM; 08-16-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:38 PM
DSR
Drifting

Thanks for the input, I will read that link.
Dave
Old 08-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
???

From the John Hinkley article:

"“Ported Vacuum” was strictly an early pre-converter crude emissions strategy, and nothing more."
Old 08-16-2009, 06:52 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

OK Mike, than tell that to John also since that is who I learned it from... (among other sources)

and if it wasn't for emissions reasons than what was it for?

Last edited by BarryK; 08-16-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:03 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Oh my gawd, Mike. What are you smoking? I know you'll never admit it but YOU'RE WRONG.

Jim
Old 08-16-2009, 07:50 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Oh my gawd, Mike. What are you smoking? I know you'll never admit it but YOU'RE WRONG.

Jim

Don't be so sure of yourself. As late as 1963, Corvette had one engine that used ported vacuum advance.

Back when there we a number of different brands of cars experimenting with vacuum advance and sorting out the tune, I believe a fair number of them used ported vacuum. I don't trust my memory to specifically tell me which ones used it though.

Why Chevrolet used ported advance in that one engine, I have no idea as it had nothing to do with emmisions and everyone knows they run better with manifold vacuum going to the advance. It may have had something to do with eliminating spark knock but that's a guess.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Here we go..
Old 08-16-2009, 08:06 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Don't be so sure of yourself. As late as 1963, Corvette had one engine that used ported vacuum advance.

Back when there we a number of different brands of cars experimenting with vacuum advance and sorting out the tune, I believe a fair number of them used ported vacuum. I don't trust my memory to specifically tell me which ones used it though.

Why Chevrolet used ported advance in that one engine, I have no idea as it had nothing to do with emmisions and everyone knows they run better with manifold vacuum going to the advance. It may have had something to do with eliminating spark knock but that's a guess.

Just to give you the benefit of the doubt, I checked all my manuals regarding dist. and tune up specs. for the 60's Corvettes and NONE used a vacuum advance connected to ported spark. I did however get a PM from someone that says you used to be a Ford mechanic. That really explains alot.
As I stated before in posts involving you, I'm not going to get in a pizzin' match because that is all you seem to try to start when you're wrong and won't admit it. As far as I'm concerned, you can put the vacuum advance hose in your ___

Jim
Old 08-16-2009, 08:20 PM
kimo1965
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Which vacuum port do I connect vacuum advance to?

Old 08-16-2009, 09:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Just to give you the benefit of the doubt, I checked all my manuals regarding dist. and tune up specs. for the 60's Corvettes and NONE used a vacuum advance connected to ported spark. I did however get a PM from someone that says you used to be a Ford mechanic. That really explains alot.
As I stated before in posts involving you, I'm not going to get in a pizzin' match because that is all you seem to try to start when you're wrong and won't admit it. As far as I'm concerned, you can put the vacuum advance hose in your ___

Jim

So far in this thread, you've made at least three inaccurate or untrue statements. It's probably good that you left before you make anymore statements of this nature.

I must have missed where anyone said anything about this thread being limited to mid-year Corvettes except you.

In any case, the '63 327/360 Corvette engine ran on ported spark advance and that had NOTHING to do with emmisions.

You know what you can do with your hose.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Excuse me, I just need to

ENGINE GUIDE

For good street driveability, your distributor's vacuum advance should be connected to "ported vacuum," which is drawn from a source in the carburetor above the throttle plates. This results in increasing vacuum as the throttle is applied. The function of vacuum advance is to provide timing advance in low-
rpm acceleration conditions for smoothness and improved driveabiiity. The alternative, manifold vacuum, is taken from a source below the throttle plates, resulting in decreasing vacuum as the throttle is applied. If your distributor is connected to manifold vacuum, full vacuum advance may be applied at idle. Then, as the throttle is applied, vacuum decreases and timing advance is decreased, causing poor engine performance and acceleration at low speeds. Think about ignition timing: If your engine starts, your initial timing is fine. Ported vacuum gives the best performance around town. Mechanical advance brings you up to desired total timing for midrange and top-end performance.

Source: GM Performance Parts: Frequently Asked Questions

Old 08-17-2009, 08:17 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by buns
Excuse me, I just need to

ENGINE GUIDE

For good street driveability, your distributor's vacuum advance should be connected to "ported vacuum," which is drawn from a source in the carburetor above the throttle plates. This results in increasing vacuum as the throttle is applied. The function of vacuum advance is to provide timing advance in low-
rpm acceleration conditions for smoothness and improved driveabiiity. The alternative, manifold vacuum, is taken from a source below the throttle plates, resulting in decreasing vacuum as the throttle is applied. If your distributor is connected to manifold vacuum, full vacuum advance may be applied at idle. Then, as the throttle is applied, vacuum decreases and timing advance is decreased, causing poor engine performance and acceleration at low speeds. Think about ignition timing: If your engine starts, your initial timing is fine. Ported vacuum gives the best performance around town. Mechanical advance brings you up to desired total timing for midrange and top-end performance.

Source: GM Performance Parts: Frequently Asked Questions

When vacuum advance was in it's early stages of automotive use, the engineers used various combinations of ported/manifold vacuum and different combinations of vacuum can calibrations and mechanical curves looking for the best combination for driveability and fuel milage. By the mid 50's, most everyone decided that manifold vacuum driving the vacuum advance gave the best results for economy and driveability. One exception was the Corvette engine I mentioned. These examples had nothing to do with emmisions. That came later on.

Maybe the motor mouth will read this and be a little better informed the next time he gets diarrhea of the mouth.

Last edited by MikeM; 08-17-2009 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Which vacuum port do I connect vacuum advance to?